Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's becoming more likely that O'Meara will switch to the bombers. Essendon can certainly offer more in terms of picks and players with currency, plus offer more to O'Meara.

I imagine part of the appeal of nominating Hawthorn was the chance to play at least a prelim in year 1. But the chances of Hawthorn being a serious contender in finals next year will be all over when Lewis follows Sam Mitchell out the door, if they aren't already.

All of a sudden the hopes of a decent finals team will be left to this kid coming back from knee surgery. It's a lot of pressure on the young guy. He could easily take more money for less pressure at the Bombers who are likely to challenge for a flag before Hawthorn do again.

Maybe since Mitchell and Lewis have decided to leave, O'Meara has upped his price for the Hawks to match the Bombers?

If I was O'Meara I know where I'd go.
Nah mate.

I'm sure GC would prefer to take essendon's offer, but it's a player's world and he's pretty set on hawthorn for more reasons than pure cash.

I'd love JOM at Essendon.

But honestly, I think I'm loving even more how BADLY Hawthorn are hurting themselves attempting to get this done.

I know, I know, it hurts that your club has completely decimated itself and as a result you've had to watch your bitter rivals slowly but surely crawl up your arse on the premiership table.

It must frustrate you to no end that since we won our first flag, and with the woeful start our club had as an entity, that we have comprehensively outdone Essendon in every way possible.

It must be frightening for you.

I can taste your fear.

I know, I know, it hurts that your club has completely decimated itself and as a result you've had to watch your bitter rivals slowly but surely crawl up your arse on the premiership table.

It must frustrate you to no end that since we won our first flag, and with the woeful start our club had as an entity, that we have comprehensively outdone Essendon in every way possible.

It must be frightening for you.

I can taste your fear.

What's to be afraid of?

You're effectively TRYING to become a shit club - our list wipes the floor with yours.

I think it's becoming more likely that O'Meara will switch to the bombers. Essendon can certainly offer more in terms of picks and players with currency, plus offer more to O'Meara.

I imagine part of the appeal of nominating Hawthorn was the chance to play at least a prelim in year 1. But the chances of Hawthorn being a serious contender in finals next year will be all over when Lewis follows Sam Mitchell out the door, if they aren't already.

All of a sudden the hopes of a decent finals team will be left to this kid coming back from knee surgery. It's a lot of pressure on the young guy. He could easily take more money for less pressure at the Bombers who are likely to challenge for a flag before Hawthorn do again.

Well Tom Mitchell was playing better footy than Lewis for periods of the year, so that may be an upgrade at this stage in their respective careers.

Sam Mitchell is a special player, and his decision making in traffic was (and still is) close to the best in the competition. JOM however has a number of qualities Sam lacks, and may overall be a better player if he can go at 100%. His first game back in the NEAFL after a massive gap was ridiculously good for a guy out of the game for such a period of time. He probably still has some development time to get to his full potential, but he is already very good. There are good reasons why Hawks are chasing him so hard, and why GC are so pissed off that he is leaving. It is very likely that In: Mitchell/JOM out: Mitchell/Lewis actually makes us stronger , not weaker, perhaps not at the start of 2017, but by 2018 that will definitely be the case unless they've incorrectly assessed his knee. 3 of the 7 games we lost during the year were after Ceglar went down with an ACL, so replacing him with Vickery will also improve us. We've also got 7 debutantes from last year , some of which will hopefully build on their experience in the seniors, and push their way into senior selection. A lot of people have written off JOR who was a #2 pick, but his development was so interrupted by injury, that there is still reason to hope he might start to show performances closer to his draft selection number than has been possible for him so far.

Whether we go up or down next year will depend a lot on how much deterioration we get from Hodge/Gibson/Burgoyne during the season. Burgoyne had the best year of the three, but age wise is perhaps most vulnerable given his dodgy knee can't last forever, despite the minor miracles the medical team seem to have done on it. Hodge was rumoured to be carry an injury for large parts of the year, and was still very good in some key games. Gibson may be getting close to cooked, but it is hard to know how much his relatively poor end of the season was due to him receiving a defensive forward tag for a bunch of games towards the end of the year. Some Hawk fans think he's cooked, and it was his body , not the tags, so we'll see how that goes. We are of course hopefully Roughead will be able to play again, perhaps as early as next year.

We also had a game plan that got beyond its used by day by year end. We'd managed to build a game plan that allowed us to lose contested possession, but flaws in that style had been discovered and exploited during the year. There is no doubt we'll adjust this over the off-season, and there will be less time put into pulling apart the Hawthorn game plan as the focus shifts from opposition coaches onto how they are planning to stop GWS/Doggies.

If we can add JOM to T.Mitchell and Vickery, I don't think we should drop too far, and even if next year is a down year while we integrated new players into a new game plan, we'll still have plenty of cap space to make a large FA offer to one of the big FA fish next year to further bolster the midfield (e.g. Fyfe or Martin). A midfield built around TOM, JOM, and one of Fyfe/Martin would put us strongly back in contention, especially as our forward line is still relatively young, and despite Roughead's absence and poor performance from our midfield in terms of contested possession and clearances over the year, performed fairly well with 3 players scoring 40+ goals each.

Maybe since Mitchell and Lewis have decided to leave, O'Meara has upped his price for the Hawks to match the Bombers?

According to him via his manager, he still prefers Hawthorn, and is not interested in changing that preference to Essendon.

If I was O'Meara I know where I'd go.

To the club you've spent your life barracking for? Hardly a surprising suggestion. If I was O'Meara , I'd be going to the club that has a 4 times premiership winning coach, and a list that just won 3 flags, and was 1 kick off a prelim. Especially if my alternative choice was a team whose reputation had been dragged through the mud for the last 4 years. It is still a big unknown how Essendon will respond on the field after the trauma they've all suffered. They've got a list that could perform well next year, but how psychologically damaged will they be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? They'd happily offer millions of dollars for him trade away Lewis, Mitchell and future picks just in the hope they can fix his knee? The Suns are unprofessional, they asked for a 1st round pick and a first 22 player but the Hawks haven't met those requirements. Which is why a deal hasn't been done yet. Just because you're sad that Hawthorn hasn't been able to muscle out the smaller clubs and now are angry that the Suns have made a stand against getting players poached from them doesn't mean they are unprofessional.
Because no one wants to go there!!! Why?? Maybe GC need to get there Sh&t together and create a place where players want to stay there and then maybe more players will want to go there ( without being offered massive money).

You mean this player management??

Management for injured Gold Coast young gun Jaeger O'Meara have flatly denied he is on the trade market and being shopped around Victorian AFL clubs.

O'Meara's manager Colin Young angrily refuted reports the 2013 Rising Star winner has put settling his future beyond this season ahead of a crucial playing return early next month.

Not only did he not return early the next month, he shopped himself around without playing another game.

The statement the manager put out recently was directed at trying to put pressure on the Suns. It's the Suns who lose out if they get less from Hawthorn than they'd get from Essendon.

he also reiterated it today on radio. JOM has his heart set on becoming a Hawk.
Yet Hawthorn still hasn't even put forward an official trade proposal.
I have no doubt O'Meara wants to go to Hawthorn, and most likely will get there.
And the Hawks aren't on any time line other than the 2.00pm cut off on Thursday, but if the guys heart is set on playing for Hawthorn, perhaps the Hawks could show a bit of love his way and at least make an attempt to satisfy Gold Coast with a trade offer.
They still may be in the process of putting something together, but it appears it's becoming a scramble with only 50 hours left before the deadline and their proposed trade with Brisbane for picks falling through.

Because no one wants to go there!!! Why?? Maybe GC need to get there Sh&t together and create a place where players want to stay there and then maybe more players will want to go there ( without being offered massive money).
And we start doing that by keeping players from walking out for nothing to clubs like Hawthorn.

Yet Hawthorn still hasn't even put forward an official trade proposal.
I have no doubt O'Meara wants to go to Hawthorn, and most likely will get there.
And the Hawks aren't on any time line other than the 2.00pm cut off on Thursday, but if the guys heart is set on playing for Hawthorn, perhaps the Hawks could show a bit of love his way and at least make an attempt to satisfy Gold Coast with a trade offer.
They still may be in the process of putting something together, but it appears it's becoming a scramble with only 50 hours left before the deadline and their proposed trade with Brisbane for picks falling through.
I'm sure they've been working on it. In case you haven't noticed, the Hawthorn list management team have been pretty busy so far this trade period. Can't do everything at once.

You mean this player management??

Management for injured Gold Coast young gun Jaeger O'Meara have flatly denied he is on the trade market and being shopped around Victorian AFL clubs.

O'Meara's manager Colin Young angrily refuted reports the 2013 Rising Star winner has put settling his future beyond this season ahead of a crucial playing return early next month.

Not only did he not return early the next month, he shopped himself around without playing another game.

The statement the manager put out recently was directed at trying to put pressure on the Suns. It's the Suns who lose out if they get less from Hawthorn than they'd get from Essendon.

Hope is an anchor for the soul.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back