Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

So a "fact" by your definition is something you heard from a source?

Well forgive me if I'm sceptical especially when Tony stated he had not gotten involved in the trade negotiations when asked by SEN on Friday. Straight from the horses mouth

Come on mate.

Really?

Not really when this was reported in same article.."the Suns are continuing to demand that an experienced senior player is thrown into break the trade deadlock."

Just back where we started needing proper explanation why the big talk then ended up taking whatever was on table at the end.

Yeah but after that was written they went and signed hanley witts lyons etc. Things change pretty quick in trade week.
They were always looking for a first pick and a player or 2 firsts.

They got a first and 2 2nds which yeah its not quite 2 firsts, but not far off

I suspect Jade and The Steadier subscribe to the notion of a deep draft this year, perhaps there is value in the 2nd round. I won't lose sleep over it though.

No just that a first rounder and 3 2nd rounders in ANY draft isn't a pricetag to be sneezed at.

For instance, that level of pricetag got Collingwood treloar.

Last edited:
Despite GC demanding two first round draft picks, Hawthorn overpaid. O'Meara is a first round draft pick who has done nothing at all to increase his value (through injury, no fault of his own). He was worth a first round draft pick and nothing else; what Hawks gave up could come back to bite them in the ass.

Yeah but after that was written they went and signed hanley witts lyons etc. Things change pretty quick in trade week.
They were always looking for a first pick and a player or 2 firsts.

They got a first and 2 2nds which yeah its not quite 2 firsts, but not far off

They didn't get 2 x 2nds
Tell me u don't think that
Lol

They got
Pick 10
Projected 2017 28-36

Despite GC demanding two first round draft picks, Hawthorn overpaid. O'Meara is a first round draft pick who has done nothing at all to increase his value (through injury, no fault of his own). He was worth a first round draft pick and nothing else; what Hawks gave up could come back to bite them in the ass.
Tbh, the only reason Hawthorn overpaid was because Cochrane was high on ice during the whole trade period.

I thought Hawthorn was all about having 22 contributors?

14, 14, 23 and 36 are all quality picks, especially in a deep draft like 2016. Going to be hard replacing Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson, Roughead, Birchall with the gunk picks Hawthorn have for the next two years.

Those picks combined have produced how many B+ players or better over say the last 15 years ?

A quick look says about 7-8 out of 45 picks, so we'd have to do better than average to get even one quality player from those picks.

Those picks combined have produced how many B+ players or better over say the last 15 years ?

A quick look says about 7-8 out of 45 picks, so we'd have to do better than average to get even one quality player from those picks.
Keeping it relevant, the last three pick 14s have produced McCarthy, Lever and Hipwood (or Daniel Rioli). The last three pick 23s have been Matt Crouch, Pat McKenna and David Cunningham. Also in the hunt around those picks were Steele, Touk Miller, Zach Merrett, Lobb and Dunkley. 36 is more of a roulette, but 14 and 23 are still very good picks in the age of modern recruiting.

Keeping it relevant, the last three pick 14s have produced McCarthy, Lever and Hipwood (or Daniel Rioli). The last three pick 23s have been Matt Crouch, Pat McKenna and David Cunningham. Also in the hunt around those picks were Steele, Touk Miller, Zach Merrett, Lobb and Dunkley. 36 is more of a roulette, but 14 and 23 are still very good picks in the age of modern recruiting.

3 picks is way too small and not one of those have proven nothing, how many AAs from that group ? if you can go to all the picks around 23 then you have to included all the picks taken over the years.

So if u want to included 23-26 then that's 4 picks a year of which on average less than 1 is any good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't get 2 x 2nds
Tell me u don't think that
Lol

They got
Pick 10
Projected 2017 28-36

Whoops forgot about that. You are correct it was only a first and a second for them.

Which of course doesn't make the price of a first and 3 2nds you paid any better though.
So not sure why you care if i mistakenly quote what GC paid.

If anything all it does is further shows just how much Wright panicked when he did the saints deal.
You could have gotten jaeger way cheaper if Wright wasn't so scared and called cochrane out.
Because as we now know he was full of hot air about 2 firsts or draft.

Wright obviously fell for cochranes hot air completely and did the most obviously onesided trade in history because of it.

Ameet's an amateur in the same way that Neil Armstrong was just a guy strapped to a chair attached to some fireworks.

The guy got us carlisle and gresham for 5 last year, and backed that up with the most risk free maximum reward trade possibly ever done.

Absolute worst worst worst case for us, we get pick 22 for FREE.
Pick 22 free for absolutely no risk, at worse.

At best, Pick 1 absolutely totally FREE pure profit for absolutely zero risk to us.

Hawthorn have already almost given us back pick 10 in value, now all we need to do is wait and see if our profit is worth pick 22 (amazing) or better, all the way up to once in a lifetime pick 1.

If he's an amateur, I'm not sure what that makes dodoro and every other chump that could have, but didn't make that happen.

303059_785a49628c6f273c2c21c7fb25ab25db.jpeg

History of pick 22
Lovell 15
Crawshay 91
Mark Jones 92
Dion Myles 93
Winston Abraham 94
Joe Maclaren 95
Alistair Nicholson 96
Troy Longmuir 97
James Begley 98
Ezra Poyas 99
Richard Hadley 2000
Mark Seaby 2001
Matt Ferguson 2002
Cameron Thurley 2003
Jesse Wells 2004
Beu Muston 2005
Albert Proud 2006
Scott selwood 2007
Jackson Trengove 2008
Garrick Weedon 2009
Mitch Wallis 2010
Josh Bootsman 2011
Dean Towers 2012
Darcy Gardiner 2013
Daniel McKenzie 2014

Yeah Hawks will really rue that missed draft pick.

So a "fact" by your definition is something you heard from a source?

Well forgive me if I'm sceptical especially when Tony stated he had not gotten involved in the trade negotiations when asked by SEN on Friday. Straight from the horses mouth
I told you take it at face value or leave it. I only told you to save you looking like a fool blindly believing Cochrane. What did you expect him to say on radio? "Oh yes, Hawthorn actually came forward with a number of better offers than the one we ended up accepting. Our list manager Ashcroft was quite keen on a few of them but I told him under no circumstances to accept. In the end you could certainly say my ego cost us a better deal and the opportunity to on trade those picks for players."

3 picks is way too small and not one of those have proven nothing, how many AAs from that group ? if you can go to all the picks around 23 then you have to included all the picks taken over the years.

So if u want to included 23-26 then that's 4 picks a year of which on average less than 1 is any good.
Isn't it a bit ridiculous to expect players to be AA after... three seasons before you can consider them to be "any good"?

History of pick 22
Lovell 15
Crawshay 91
Mark Jones 92
Dion Myles 93
Winston Abraham 94
Joe Maclaren 95
Alistair Nicholson 96
Troy Longmuir 97
James Begley 98
Ezra Poyas 99
Richard Hadley 2000
Mark Seaby 2001
Matt Ferguson 2002
Cameron Thurley 2003
Jesse Wells 2004
Beu Muston 2005
Albert Proud 2006
Scott selwood 2007
Jackson Trengove 2008
Garrick Weedon 2009
Mitch Wallis 2010
Josh Bootsman 2011
Dean Towers 2012
Darcy Gardiner 2013
Daniel McKenzie 2014

but it is not only that pick - it is your first rounder next year as well

Simple question - are you ok with the pick swaps with the Saints?

I told you take it at face value or leave it. I only told you to save you looking like a fool blindly believing Cochrane. What did you expect him to say on radio? "Oh yes, Hawthorn actually came forward with a number of better offers than the one we ended up accepting. Our list manager Ashcroft was quite keen on a few of them but I told him under no circumstances to accept. In the end you could certainly say my ego cost us a better deal and the opportunity to on trade those picks for players."
Once again your stating opinion as if it was fact, but it's right to believe whatever you want.

I believe that it is highly unlikely that after speaking his mind throughout the period all of a sudden he would cover stuff up. I think that notion is ridiculous and there is no basis for that conclusion. After all he clearly doesn't give shit what the Melbourne media think

in a way I was hoping the deal didn't go through and we got a really good player at pick 10 and Gold Coast got nothing but in the end I think O'meara will be a star of the future and help to regenerate our midfield hopefully Jarman nominates Hawthorn as his club of choice and it doesn't matter that our first pick is at 88. I think in the end it was a win-win trade Gold Coast got a very good deal and Hawthorn got a potential star these are the types of trade's everyone walks away happy

Once again your stating opinion as if it was fact, but it's right to believe whatever you want.

I believe that it is highly unlikely that after speaking his mind throughout the period all of a sudden he would cover stuff up. I think that notion is ridiculous and there is no basis for that conclusion. After all he clearly doesn't give shit what the Melbourne media think
Lol ok mate. I tried. If you're this desperate to believe that your clubs president didn't cost your club with his ego then continue by all means. Maybe Ashcroft will do a tell all when he leaves the Suns in the future.

Yep picks 14-23 have produced 6 all Australians by my count in 15 years.

That's 150 players picked.

History of pick 22
Lovell 15
Crawshay 91
Mark Jones 92
Dion Myles 93
Winston Abraham 94
Joe Maclaren 95
Alistair Nicholson 96
Troy Longmuir 97
James Begley 98
Ezra Poyas 99
Richard Hadley 2000
Mark Seaby 2001
Matt Ferguson 2002
Cameron Thurley 2003
Jesse Wells 2004
Beu Muston 2005
Albert Proud 2006
Scott selwood 2007
Jackson Trengove 2008
Garrick Weedon 2009
Mitch Wallis 2010
Josh Bootsman 2011
Dean Towers 2012
Darcy Gardiner 2013
Daniel McKenzie 2014

You obviously don't know what your team has actually done, so I'll slow it down.

If your team win the flag next year, you gave us the equivalent of our pick 10 back plus pick 22.

We don't care if 22 is a spud, we've lost nothing.

If your team do a freo and crash out next year, you gave us the equivalent of our pick 10 back plus pick 1.

We don't care if pick 1 is a spud, we've lost nothing.

but it is not only that pick - it is your first rounder next year as well

Simple question - are you ok with the pick swaps with the Saints?
Sure.

The pick Hawthorn ended up with landed O'Meara, which was the desired outcome.

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back