Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

So in the end JOM has cost the Hawks their first four picks in this years draft. Also next years first round pick.

The equivalent of a trade ban without all those picks but the good thing is in 2013/2014 he could play and was on the way to being a jet.

Already forgotten Tom Mitchell?
Hawthorn gave up their 2016 draft and 2017 first rounder to get TOM and JOM

Was always going to take 2016 and 2017 first rounders and more to get both

You've established nothing. All you've done is stated your opinion over and over again. Repetition does not validate opinion.
You don't work for the Republican Presidential campaign by any chance do you? 'I feel this therefore it must be fact'.
Ahh I see you are responding to one of Jades Hawk envy rants.

Just remember this is the guy that never rated the Hawks list prior to us going Back2Back2Back.

In other words he is like Jimmy Hird, obsessed with the Hawks and has no ****ing clue.

That's rubbish Cochrene did not get involved in the deal apart from beating his chest, he stated that clearly in his SEN interview

And if that was insurance the premuim was outrageous

I reckon that Hawks and Suns both stuffed up badly, salvaged at the last minute

JOM for 23,36 and 2017 first round could have been done in the first week and would have been better for both clubs.
Suns could have gone to work with five second round picks to get players AND improve their position in both 2016 and 2017 drafts
Hawthorn could have retained something before Pick 80 in the draft
The only clear winner from the chest beating was St Kilda

Predictably, JOM has gone from the greatest player of all time worth two top 10 picks and a star player to a Cripple who wasn't even that good anyway and wasn't worth Hill, a late first and 2nd and some rubbish picks.

The odds of getting players collectively better than Mitchell and JOM with those picks would be very low.

The odds of getting players collectively better than Mitchell and JOM with those picks would be very low.
I thought Hawthorn was all about having 22 contributors?

14, 14, 23 and 36 are all quality picks, especially in a deep draft like 2016. Going to be hard replacing Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson, Roughead, Birchall with the gunk picks Hawthorn have for the next two years.

14, 14, 23 and 36 are all quality picks, especially in a deep draft like 2016. Going to be hard replacing Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson, Roughead, Birchall with the gunk picks Hawthorn have for the next two years.

U want to replace those 5 with 2nd round picks? In this trade period we are trying to replace the superstars, as we did last year by going up to get 2x 1st rounders. We have plenty of depth to replace our older role players.

No club can replace depth and stars at the same time without afl assistance

Why is the salt still pouring in this thread?

"Hawks overpaid"

"Hawks youth are ****"

"Laughable deal"

Even dons fans getting involved when they just won a spoon and have nothing to do with it.

Relax he's a hawk now and he will be a jet. Traded a 1st and bunch of 2nd rounders - much less than judd treloar etc
He also has no knees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's rubbish Cochrene did not get involved in the deal apart from beating his chest, he stated that clearly in his SEN interview

And if that was insurance the premuim was outrageous
I'm not theorising. I know for a fact he veto'd a number of trades that were objectively better than what they ended up accepting. I can't reveal my source on this, so either take it at face value or don't.

Kid reminds me of Adam Cooney.

Brownlow winner one year, traded for a sausage roll after his knee cracked it.

Can't see O'Meara getting anywhere near the career he hoped and deserved to have at the start.

That in mind the Pelican assessment was generous:

Losing the 2 B&F legends of a club for salary cap space (vice captain refusing to return and clear his locker out), trading out 3 firsts and ending up with a first pick of 88 in a strong draft just screams "wtf did we just do?" to me in captain hindsight.

Hawthorn trade period ranking: 2/10

O'Meara trade winner:

Gold Coast: 0
Hawthorn: 0
Essendon: 0
Bigfooty thread: 1

If you look at drafting history, clubs are about a 50/50 chance of coming away with two long term AFL quality players from those four draft picks. The chances of coming away with two players the calibre of Mitchell and O'Meara are slim.

The hardest thing is landing stars. You need 6-7 of them to win flags. Role players are easy to find. You find stars by early picks (ie. being a shit side), academy picks (being an AFL lovechild), great drafting with speculative picks or simply trading in guns or picking them up as free agents. In this era of unprecedented player movement, if you are a destination club, the latter is the best way to do it.

Obviously we would have preferred to have kept a better hand in the draft but we drafted well last year.

It will be hard to replace Hodge Mitchell Burgoyne Lewis Roughie and Birchall

We made a start last year with two first round selections in 2015
Really got to work with 2016 trades.

Hopefully two of Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson and Roughie can manage two years
Birchall should be OK for 3 seasons (31 in 2019)
That's why really could not afford to keep all of our over 30s and made nothing trades for Lewis and Mitch

Predictably, JOM has gone from the greatest player of all time worth two top 10 picks and a star player to a Cripple who wasn't even that good anyway and wasn't worth Hill, a late first and 2nd and some rubbish picks.
That's big footy for ya, everybody does it

Much as I think Ameet is an amateur, that trade was almost laughable.

Ameet's an amateur in the same way that Neil Armstrong was just a guy strapped to a chair attached to some fireworks.

The guy got us carlisle and gresham for 5 last year, and backed that up with the most risk free maximum reward trade possibly ever done.

Absolute worst worst worst case for us, we get pick 22 for FREE.
Pick 22 free for absolutely no risk, at worse.

At best, Pick 1 absolutely totally FREE pure profit for absolutely zero risk to us.

Hawthorn have already almost given us back pick 10 in value, now all we need to do is wait and see if our profit is worth pick 22 (amazing) or better, all the way up to once in a lifetime pick 1.

If he's an amateur, I'm not sure what that makes dodoro and every other chump that could have, but didn't make that happen.

303059_785a49628c6f273c2c21c7fb25ab25db.jpeg

Attachments

• 303059_785a49628c6f273c2c21c7fb25ab25db.jpeg
    303059_785a49628c6f273c2c21c7fb25ab25db.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I'm not theorising. I know for a fact he veto'd a number of trades that were objectively better than what they ended up accepting. I can't reveal my source on this, so either take it at face value or don't.
So a "fact" by your definition is something you heard from a source?

Well forgive me if I'm sceptical especially when Tony stated he had not gotten involved in the trade negotiations when asked by SEN on Friday. Straight from the horses mouth

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back