Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

For those of you still slow to catch on the thread title is wrong.
Here are all the future round picks clubs hold.
Take special note the Gold Coast hold Hawthorn's 2nd round pick of next year.
Hawthorn hold the GWS 2nd round pick themselves after Silvagni on-traded it to them moments after Marchbank trade done.

Fremantle did their own trade with Gold Coast of pick swaps that gave Gold Coast another 2nd round pick for next year but nothing to do with O'Meara trade.

2017 DRAFT SELECTIONS (A-Z)

FRE Fremantle - 2017 round four selection from Gold Coast in a pick exchange
GEEL Geelong - 2017 round two selection from Carlton as part of Zach Tuohy trade
GCFC Gold Coast - 2017 round two selection from Richmond as part of Dion Prestia trade; 2017 round two selection from Fremantle in a pick exchange; 2017 round two selection from Hawthorn as part of Jaeger O'Meara trade
GWS Greater Western Sydney - 2017 round two selection from St Kilda for Jack Steele, 2017 round two selection from Collingwood for Will Hoskin-Elliott
HAW Hawthorn - 2017 round two selection (tied to GWS via Marchbank/Pickett trade) received from Carlton
MELB Melbourne - no future picks
NMFC North Melbourne - 2017 round three and four selections from Western Bulldogs as part of Nathan Hrovat trade
PORT Port Adelaide - no future picks
RICH Richmond - 2017 round one selection (tied to Geelong via Zach Tuohy trade) received from Greater Western Sydney as part of Brett Deledio trade; 2017 round three selection received from Greater Western Sydney as part of Brett Deledio trade
SYD Sydney Swans - no future picks
STK St Kilda - 2017 round one selection from Hawthorn in a pick exchange; 2017 round four selection (tied to North Melbourne via Nathan Hrovat trade) from Western Bulldogs as part of Koby Stevens trade
WCE West Coast - no future picks
WB Western Bulldogs - 2017 round three selection from North Melbourne as part of Nathan Hrovat trade; 2017 round five selection from St Kilda as part of Koby Stevens trade

The AFL really do make up the rules as they go along.

Media reporters screwed it up. In the scramble to be the first to report the O'Meara deal they all got it wrong.
That is why so many people are still confused. Even on some sites they report that O'Meara deal involved Suns getting Fremantle future second round pick but that was not part of any O'Meara trade. It was another trade only involving Freo and Gold Coast.

Media reporters screwed it up. In the scramble to be the first to report the O'Meara deal they all got it wrong.
That is why so many people are still confused. Even on some sites they report that O'Meara deal involved Suns getting Fremantle future second round pick but that was not part of any O'Meara trade. It was another trade only involving Freo and Gold Coast.

That's how the footy media works these days. It's been reported incorrectly on the AFL's own site a few times.

Hawthorn's 2017 second round pick is a better outcome than GWS'. It will be 10 this year + ~30 next IMO. I'd still rather Hawthorn's 2017 first + 23 & 36 this year.

Disagree you guys went to SOS in desperation and being the nice guy he is he helped you out.
Many up here wanted O'Meara to go to the draft - didn't care less.
But football logic and people being paid to do a job ensured that was never going to be the case.
A deal was always going to get done - but best it be maximum advantage to the seller - you might hate him -but Cochrane ensured that !
Let's evaluate in a bit. I'd like the Suns not to waste all the talented picks they have and had. We'll see if this strategy makes your club a desirable place because the Caddy stance sure didn't. As for the Hawks, we know we are on the slide but even if he fails to get up to his best, we'll do well anyway. We stuffed up big time in the 05/06 drafts.

But they did not get two 2nds for him.
They only got pick 10 and Hawks 2nd rounder of 2017, which given how Cochrane carried on was odd, even taking into account Gold Coast getting some depth players and Hanley in other deals.
Looking like pick 10 this year and roughly around pick 35 next year.
It is not a massive improvement on the pick 10 and 48 that Cochrane was pissed off about to start with.
Cochrane misread how clubs were not wiling to give up much considering the injury history of O'Meara.

Yep agree

Whoops forgot about that. You are correct it was only a first and a second for them.

Which of course doesn't make the price of a first and 3 2nds you paid any better though.
So not sure why you care if i mistakenly quote what GC paid.

If anything all it does is further shows just how much Wright panicked when he did the saints deal.
You could have gotten jaeger way cheaper if Wright wasn't so scared and called cochrane out.
Because as we now know he was full of hot air about 2 firsts or draft.

Wright obviously fell for cochranes hot air completely and did the most obviously onesided trade in history because of it.

Mirrors the thoughts of your previous messiah nicely. He too feared us, and fervently wished for our downfall.

"Don't start down that dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did your disgraced coach" - Clarko (or Yoda - I get them confused).
Hird is too busy fathering French bastards and clubbing seal cubs to care what you think.

this logic makes beyond 0 sense to be.

for example jom might not come one, smith could go hodge and burger retires and lewis wins the bnf easily, and the clubs saying after all of that they still wouldn't bring him back. dont believe it

Agree.
How many years has sam mitchell been on year to year contracts?
Probably since he was lewis's age.

Nothing wrong with that, every club puts old blokes on rolling 1 year deals.

This certainly would have been the plan for lewis.
No way were the hawks planning on ditching lewis after next year.
It looks a simple case of he knew he was gonna get the sam mitchell rolling 1 year deal treatment, so went and got himself a 3 year deal.

Nothing wrong with any of that from hawks and Jordan's perspectives, they've both climbed the mountain over and over.

But hawks fans trying to claim lewis instigating a trade is a good thing because he was gonevin a year anyway... Or him leaving this year is part of some grand plan.
That's fanciful stuff

Its not correct to say that Mitchell and Lewis were traded for JOM.

Sure it is.
The picks you landed for these guys helped you get that last second rounder from the Blues as well as upgrade your first rounder to then ontrade to GC for JOM.

Lewis, Mitchell, Hill, a future first rounder and a second rounder was what it cost for the Hawks to obtain JOM and pick 88.

We will only know once O'Meara gets on the park. If he turns into the jet he was going to, Hawks have got a good deal. If he breaks down again they are royally screwed for a number of years.
Essendon were the ones waiting to pounce. If Eseendon got him in PSD no risk involved for them as paid nothing in essence.
SOS came to the rescue and ensured Hawks paid something for him and Dons did not get a free kick.
SOS screwed Bombers over and assisted Hawks get their man.:p
I suspect Hawks will engage in a 3 way trade next year that will secure another Giant to SOS;)

I realize Hawthorn supporters have earned the right to be arrogant but jeez there are few choosing to be.

JOM is a damn good player will be an interesting ride to see how it all plays out

How have they earnt the right to be arrogant?

They have contributed very little, if anything, to the clubs onfield success.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How have they earnt the right to be arrogant?

They have contributed very little, if anything, the clubs onfield success.

Good point - but I was not actually saying being arrogant is a good thing! The success the Hawks have had on the field can not be denied but that has definitely gone to their supporters heads; they actually believe they can continue to rely on other clubs to do 3 way trades and not have any picks.

But guess what I do not give a rats! As a Saints supporter damn happy with the direction of the club only thought I have for the Hawks is where our second (they do not have one) first round pick ends up next year and what we do with it

The intrigue is great but it is WIN WIN for the Saints

Sure it is.
The picks you landed for these guys helped you get that last second rounder from the Blues as well as upgrade your first rounder to then ontrade to GC for JOM.

Lewis, Mitchell, Hill, a future first rounder and a second rounder was what it cost for the Hawks to obtain JOM and pick 88.

Hodgey pointed out Mitchell was traded for basically pick 88. Given Hawks still have that it means Mitchell was no cost involved to get O'Meara.

More like Hill + Lewis + Hawks 2017 1st rounder + Hawks 2017 2nd rounder had to be given up in order to get the final deal done of O'Meara in the door and keep for themselves the GWS 2nd rounder that SOS on traded to Hawks to allow them to be within the rules of trading their own 2nd rounder of 2017 draft to Gold Coast.

Rules do not allow a club to trade out both their first and second rounders of future picks unless they bring in a future pick somehow before that trade of one of those rounds.
Hence where SOS came into it to save the day. Once he got the Marchbank trade done it allowed GWS to on trade the Geelong 1st rounder future pick to Richmond for Deledio they got from SOS in Marchbank trade. The GWS 2nd rounder SOS got he gave to Hawks, which they retained as Gold Coast wanted the more valued Hawks 2nd rounder future pick. If Marchbank trade does not get done it would have been a disaster for 4 or 5 clubs. From what I heard Carlton and Hawks only got in room to do paperwork of their trade deal at 1-39 pm that was the allowing the O'Meara trade paperwork to be done straight after.

I wonder if GWS held out trading Marchbank and Pickett to Carlton as late as possible hoping for Gibbs to goto Crows and then asking that pick 13 for Marchbank and Pickett be handed over.
SOS not bluffing the Crows that Gibbs was going nowhere for anything less than two forms of first rounders I think ended up having a massive effect on all these trades happening so late. Once GWS knew they had no chance of getting pick 13 from us they were willing to accept the lesser 1st rounder of Geelong's for 2017 that SOS got in the Tuohy deal.
Richmond now hold that pick.

Report card for media following where all these future rounders went on final day and reporting correctly.

F

I suspect Hawks will engage in a 3 way trade next year that will secure another Giant to SOS;)

If it screws over Essendon again is some way, all parties happy. :p

To be honest though, I think this was the last year SOS takes advantage of his past relationships with staff or players from GWS when he was working there. Marchbank and Pickett are really great picks ups for what we gave up.
If someone like Devon Smith or Patton were somehow in the market next year maybe we would have a crack again but I think GWS are finally done with sorting out how to fit in all their talented youngsters on contracts and give up the others they know would be impossible to all keep under the salary cap going forward. All the draftees they had from 2014 National Draft all traded this period.
They would have needed to sign them all up on bigger contracts to retain after their initial 2 years contracts all draftees sign on with.

In the end logic took over. He realised O'Meara was gone - so should get best for the club - with 9 minutes to go Pick 10 to Suns + Hawthorns 2017 2nd round pick goes to the Suns.
Ensures 4 top 10 draft picks for Suns even before matching any pick for Academy player Brad Scheer
As a result Hawthorn left with first pick 88 this 2016 draft - with no first or second round pick next year (Suns have already stockpiled 3x 2017 2nd round picks )
Lost Mitchell , Lewis...
Tell me who wins this one down the track.....?
PS - have noted O'Meara not right to go for early pre-season - welcome to our world..!

We actually do have a 2017 second rounder, it's just tied to GWS' finishing position, so it's likely very late.

With all due respect, i'm not even sure how much of a win this is for GC. Don't get me wrong, they put themselves in a great position for the draft, and it's always somewhat of a win to get high draft picks for players who want to leave. But unless they fix the problems that have seen multiple early draft picks walk out and the club stagnating down the bottom of the ladder, then a few more early draft picks is unlikely to make much of a difference. I'm sure the club has put a lot of time and effort into improving in those areas, so hopefully those issues are a thing of the past, but ultimately the proof will be in the pudding.

GC have put themselves in a position in terms of the draft and their list, that if they do things well they could contend within a few years. But in terms of JOM, they originally traded two top 10 picks for him, and ended up with pick 10 and a second rounder for him. Given his injuries and the fact he wanted out, they were never going to completely recoup their original investment, but i wouldn't have thought it's an overall win for GC.

As for who wins this one down the track, nobody really knows. Draft picks are by no means certainties, and even with first rounders, if you can bat at a 50% average for getting solid-elite players, then you are doing very well. Go have a look at the players taken with pick 10. There are a few stars, but also a lot of busts in there.

Hawthorn's trading this year is certainly also a risk and may not come off. But the biggest hole in our list was young, (potentially) elite replacements for the impending retirements of the older guys. Any time you fill a big hole in your list, there are a lot of positives to the trade. So while we may not have a lot of draft picks, it becomes a question of what are the chances that we get players of the quality of JOM and TMitchell with the picks that we traded? The reality is that without top 5 draft picks you basically don't have access to players of that quality, especially not with a few years of development thrown in.

If JOM never gets on the field, then GC look to have done well from the trade. But if pick 10 is a bust and JOM becomes an elite player, then Hawthorn have done well. Only time will tell, but come 2018/19 when our older players are gone, i don't think pick 14, our 2017 first, and a couple of second round picks, would have been anywhere near enough to make Hawthorn a contender. So while it is a risk, i'd rather take a few risks that either make us a contender or a bust than play it safe and be stuck as a middle of the road team.

This is a very good point that a lot of commentators seem to miss - clubs recruit for needs. So what one club will value a player significantly differently than another club if there's a needs disparity. And that need doesn't always have to be on the field either. Perfect case in point is Tom Mitchell - Swans would have preferred to keep him I'm sure, but salary cap + on field meant they were willing to let him go. Hawthorn with a lack of quality young mids and more cap space were willing to trade a first rounder, for a player who Sydney weren't going to push the boat out for.

This is a very good point that a lot of commentators seem to miss - clubs recruit for needs. So what one club will value a player significantly differently than another club if there's a needs disparity. And that need doesn't always have to be on the field either. Perfect case in point is Tom Mitchell - Swans would have preferred to keep him I'm sure, but salary cap + on field meant they were willing to let him go. Hawthorn with a lack of quality young mids and more cap space were willing to trade a first rounder, for a player who Sydney weren't going to push the boat out for.

Firstly, Lewis, s Mitchell. Tough to see them go, although they weren't goin to win us another premiership. While they may be guns, they are on their last legs. Both demonstrated last year that they can't keep up with the speed of the game. While I appreciate that they were 1&2 in the B&F, others will now step up.

Hill to freo: going to be missed especially the outside run but when you want to go Home, you go home. Need hartung to really step up here!

JOM, Tom Mitchell, Vickery and the draft picks... Two years out of the game for JOM, I bet half of you would forget what he is really capable of! Here's the thing with JOM. Yes, high risk, high return. Burgoyne repaired, whitecross repaired, JOM will be repaired. For those who remember, JOM is a jet, the kind of player you can build a new midfield brigade around. T Mitchell comes in, an absolute ball magnet, disposal questionable, but deadly around goals. Who will be the next to step up? Breust, Lovell, Woodward, orourke, shiels... There are a few boys floating around that have had a few years in the system. But we've written em all off. Why because we lost Mitchell and Lewis. We gained cap space. Next year... Fyfe, Martin... Who will be joining the mighty Hawks? We have written Vickery off already... Clarkson will turn him around... At Richmond he was lazy, at hawthorn lazy is not accepted. He will kick 40 goals next year minimum.

First pick in draft #88... Knowing hawthorn, they don't make rash decisions and then rely on luck. Pick 88 is likely for something. Jarman? Possibly, monkhorst boys? Imo, losing our picks to bring in JOM and t Mitchell is not a bad thing. No way you would get two players of this quality with our picks if we had not traded them. Maybe overs for JOM, sometimes that's how it goes.

Enter the rough... He comes back there is your 3rd gun in to the team for 2017. I think he will be back.

Write hawthorn off at your own peril... We are talking about clarko... 4 premierships in 8 years. There is always a plan, always!

Enter the rough... He comes back there is your 3rd gun in to the team for 2017. I think he will be back.

Write hawthorn off at your own peril... We are talking about clarko... 4 premierships in 8 years. There is always a plan, always!

Completely honest question. And I haven't followed the story closely but is he really going to come back?

I thought he had melanoma in his lung.

There are some new drugs which are pretty good but in general stage 4 melanoma (lung metastasis) has a poor prognosis.

30-40% mortality @ 12 months

I hope I have it wrong because he is a great player and seems like a great guy..

Completely honest question. And I haven't followed the story closely but is he really going to come back?

There are some new drugs which are pretty good but in general stage 4 melanoma (lung metastasis) has a poor prognosis.

I hope I have it wrong because he is a great player and seems like a great guy..

Seems they caught it early enough & he'll be one of the lucky ones.

He's training again... That to me is a good enough sign that it is more likely than not that he will be back

Mate Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis had nothing to do with the O'Meara deal. Thats got more to do with free agency next year!!
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Lewis and Mitchell both on 1 year deals?

If so what exactly what was gained for free agency next year?

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back