Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to read that we only interviewed him once.
Gather we only needed one time to decide we liked what we heard... & perhaps so other clubs didn't pick-up that we were very keen on him.

Interesting to read that we only interviewed him once.

Its no surprise. He was a lower order selection. We would have likely had several players in mind for that selection had they been available. If you go see players too often, the family can start getting high hopes only for them not to be drafted by the club.

Lets just hope he doesn't suffer the same 3rd year blues that have seemed to follow some of our later picks in recent years (Butts,Schoenberg, Berry).
IMO (not a popular opinion) he suffered 2nd year blues.

Had some absolute stinkers mixed in with a few good games. Finished the year well though importantly.

Just looked a level below afl for most of the year whereas in his first year he looked at home from game 2.

Interesting player to watch in 2024.

Had some absolute stinkers mixed in with a few good games. Finished the year well though importantly.

Just looked a level below afl for most of the year whereas in his first year he looked at home from game 2.

I don’t think it’s 2nd year blues. He actually showed improvement with some standout games. I personally think the opposition teams have put more efforts in nullifying him this year, which makes it seem to appear that he “stagnated”. He’s tracking to be at least an A-grader to me. Particularly encouraging when you compare his stats this season to that of Butters at the same age and 2nd season.
Soligo with more average disposals, more marks, more tackles and more metres gained.

He didn’t look settled to me. Either asked to play a different role to what he’s used to or just moved around too much.

That's such a cold take, played a very handy role on the wing. We got rightly punished whenever we subbed him out. Top 5 bnf next year.

I agree, mostly. Not sure about "absolute stinkers", but he had some poor matches throughout, especially early on in the season. He seemed to get better as the year went on.

I agree, mostly. Not sure about "absolute stinkers", but he had some poor matches throughout, especially early on in the season. He seemed to get better as the year went on.
There was one game where he would have had a negative impact. Kept getting caught htb taking people on and just couldn't get into the game.

I was big on him before the season started so my expectations were pretty high.

See how he goes next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to catch up on all of bigman’s reports, is he training more mid or wing?

Would love to see a breakout season from him in the guts
Sounds like with inside midfielders.

Would be good to have a genuine wingman who can find space, generate uncontested ball and use it well, plus hard enough to win his own ball when required, stick a tackle, break a tackle.

We haven't really had one in recent memory. Sholl can do the space/uncontested stuff but falters in the contest. Jones has made significant strides but I still feel he's an inside mid playing wing rather than a genuine wingman. Doesn't help with shape around the contest or as an outlet player from stoppages or D50. Just another mid winning his own footy (which isn't necessarily a bad thing and given our reluctance to rotate more than 4 through the centre square is perhaps a necessity).

Would be good to have a genuine wingman who can find space, generate uncontested ball and use it well, plus hard enough to win his own ball when required, stick a tackle, break a tackle.

We haven't really had one in recent memory. Sholl can do the space/uncontested stuff but falters in the contest. Jones has made significant strides but I still feel he's an inside mid playing wing rather than a genuine wingman. Doesn't help with shape around the contest or as an outlet player from stoppages or D50. Just another mid winning his own footy (which isn't necessarily a bad thing and given our reluctance to rotate more than 4 through the centre square is perhaps a necessity).
Seedsman was not too shabby off a wing

Wong today, inside at previous stoppage sims
The ability to reshape reality is great from a 3rd year player.

avengers infinity war wong GIF

The thing I like most about Soligo is his quality of possessions. He’s a real thinker who sets the chain in motion, with skillsets that match his creativeness. He’s also one of the most ambidextrous players we have from what I can remember him doing really nice kicks on his left.

With more body mass and confidence, I think he’s got a good a chance as anyone to have a breakout year.

The thing I like most about Soligo is his quality of possessions. He’s a real thinker who sets the chain in motion, with skillsets that match his creativeness. He’s also one of the most ambidextrous players we have from what I can remember him doing really nice kicks on his left.

With more body mass and confidence, I think he’s got a good a chance as anyone to have a breakout year.
Possibly even a date?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back