Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's still a reasonable option up fwd but only worth 1 year to keep motivation/effort high like this year. Wonder if there's other clubs out there that would offer 2? Maybe Demons & Pies.

Man those 2015 highlights reminded me I thought the dogs had a generational player & a player the others would envy us for. I was thinking how lucky we were that we drafted him. What a fizzled out career he's had. Similar to Wingard, right? Peaked at 21. What happened to the speed @ 4:39?

I think someone said Jake reminded him of Gary Ablet Sr.

He's still a reasonable option up fwd but only worth 1 year to keep motivation/effort high like this year. Wonder if there's other clubs out there that would offer 2? Maybe Demons & Pies.

I also think he’s the icing player, a team like Essendon finding itself & its style/mojo/culture can’t have a player like him.

Way I see it is he’s not taking Essendon to new heights - so work on the Caddy/Jones combo with the addition of Langford/Wright/Cox around them, and see whether that does. At the moment Jones plays higher on the wing, and Cox plays everywhere, to fit Stringer & Langford in as the full forwards. And they don’t make the 8.

I think they move on. He gives them 3-4 wins a year, a couple off his own boot (Saints, Eagles games), but he also has cost them the last 2 weeks too in particular. Missing big shots - so then winning the game v St Kilda ends up being a net neutral result for Essendon.

Personally think the Bombers have a good core coming through & need to accept that and stop hanging onto these Stringer, Laverde, Kelly types - thankfully for them they’ve moved past Heppell, Wright has got stuff to work on, Bryan has gone past Goldstein, so they’re partway there.

What was the initial deal that got Stringer to the Bombers?

Considering the Bombers gave McKay six years at $800,000+ I reckon if the Stringer deal went through today the Bombers would have offered seven years at $1,000,000. So bullet dodged I guess.

Brisbane picking up the Ashcroft brothers for a midfield rebuild while still having Dunkley & Neale at their peaks or close to means I reckon they can keep topping up other positions.

Personally think Stringer would be perfect to have in their forward line for 2 years - Rayner more midfield time, takes some pressure off Charlie as Stringer can play that goalsquare lead out role, and Logan Morris stays on the fringes but has years left and allows him time in the VFL when the inevitable lean patch occurs.

Plus they have an established culture with leaders and Stringer doesn’t have to have any extra pressure. He can just be a forward.

Stringer probably wouldn’t leave Victoria but that’s the only reason it wouldn’t make sense tbh.

If the Bombres are smart (and there's another thread for someone to start) then Stringer should be shown the door at the end of the season.

There should be a few others following him out the door too as the Windy Hillians are in desperate need of a reset of their playing list and overall culture but with Sheedy & Dodo always lurking in the background, that will never happen.

Needs other decent forwards around him to flourish. He will always be that difficult to match up on third tall. Hes not the main man that can be relied on.

Bit of a one trick pony, flies for huge mark which I can't recall him ever taking, brings to ground, then goes to work with a stiffarm to snap 45 out. When it's on it looks awesome but far too often it is nowhere to be seen. Then after quiet stints will be rotated on the ball for some impact.

Ideally if Wright can find consistency quickly it will benefit Langford and Stringer but I don't think he can. They need a marquee key forward to get the best out of the package.

Man those 2015 highlights reminded me I thought the dogs had a generational player & a player the others would envy us for. I was thinking how lucky we were that we drafted him. What a fizzled out career he's had. Similar to Wingard, right? Peaked at 21. What happened to the speed @ 4:39?
He was awesome back then. There were polls on the dogs board between him and Bont and most took Stringer.

It’s genuinely embarrassing the way his career has turned out. If he even had half the work ethic and commitment required of an AFL player he’d be a 600 goal player.

He was awesome back then. There were polls on the dogs board between him and Bont and most took Stringer.

It’s genuinely embarrassing the way his career has turned out. If he even had half the work ethic and commitment required of an AFL player he’d be a 600 goal player.
It's also embarrassing the way Brian Taylor talks him up on the commentary.

Should take a look at the top 20 from his draft if you wanna talk about flops. Sure he didn't maximise his potential but he's hardly the first.

GWS had four picks inside 20 and came out with Whitfield,O'Rourke,Plowman & Corr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone knows by now the situation Jakey is in right now with the EFC offer..so a genuine, no bull crap question..

Would there be a spot available at another club for him?

We all love him at Tullamarine but it’s time we cut the cord and get serious about our list going forward.
Richmond are dire but I wouldn’t want him at Tigerland on anything more than one -year deal(s).

I really don’t understand the issue. He’s got a contract and he needs to honour it as much as the club does. I get the fear of injury but the time to have been concerned about that was at the signing of the current contract.

Hopefully he takes what is happening as motivation. Gets fit, stays fit, plays out if his skin and then demands more $$$.

Richmond are dire but I wouldn’t want him at Tigerland on anything more than one -year deal(s).

I really don’t understand the issue. He’s got a contract and he needs to honour it as much as the club does. I get the fear of injury but the time to have been concerned about that was at the signing of the current contract.

Hopefully he takes what is happening as motivation. Gets fit, stays fit, plays out if his skin and then demands more $$$.
He’s still a beautiful kick.

But he’s slow-ish. Lack of pace.

Canes the weaker teams but struggles against the better ones.

I’m thinking he takes a massive pay cut for a one year deal at EFC.

Otherwise…thanks for your service Jake.

He’s still a beautiful kick.

But he’s slow-ish. Lack of pace.

Canes the weaker teams but struggles against the better ones.

I’m thinking he takes a massive pay cut for a one year deal at EFC.

Otherwise…thanks for your service Jake.

It's the lack of professionalism that lets him down. Probably not suited to a rebuilding side so potentially a team in the mix might take him for a 3rd rounder or something.

He's lazy and unprofessional but a 40 goal a season forward is objectively very hard to replace. I wouldn't blame Essendon cutting their losses but the big question is where are they going to get those goals from?

Everyone knows by now the situation Jakey is in right now with the EFC offer..so a genuine, no bull crap question..

Would there be a spot available at another club for him?

We all love him at Tullamarine but it’s time we cut the cord and get serious about our list going forward.
The lazy media is connecting him with the Swans (one wonders if that isn't wishful thinking from his management) but he looks exactly the type of footballer we wouldn't take.

He's lazy and unprofessional but a 40 goal a season forward is objectively very hard to replace. I wouldn't blame Essendon cutting their losses but the big question is where are they going to get those goals from?
Caddy.
Caddy

I guess we might finish 14th instead of 11th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back