Opinion Jakovich v McGovern

Who is our greatest Centre Half Back?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a Glen Jakovich doona cover and pillow case as a kid but have never had one for McGovern so Jako pips it for me.

Comparisons are fraught with danger when you are also having to factor in another prevailing variables, in different eras .

How would Jacko have gone on the 200cm and above KPF, of today?
How would Gov have gone against the brute strength the likes of Carey ?

One played in an era where pure defence was the go, the other in a much more fast paced attacking style of game.

One played with an unbelievable support cast around him in the backline: McIntosh, Worsfold, McKenna, Hart and Brennan.
The other had TB and Bunga but not the same “full deck” to support him.

Would Jacko have been as effective without the arm chop outs, the holding and grappling of opponents, the nudges in the back, that are now penalised ?
Would Gov have been able to handle the extra level of physicality that was prevalent in Jacko’s era?

So game styles, support cast in teammates and new rules and adjudication are all factors that complicate the comparison.

Both were tremendous players and both outright champions of the game.

So for me impossible to split because just far to many other variables need to be factored in to the equation to have a definitive winner.

Just stoked that both donned the Eagles Jumper.

You cant compare players from 2 different eras of the game. Its like comparing Bradman and Tendulkar.

However in these scenarios I would always favour the more recent player, as sports science, fitness standards, and the speed and professionalism of the game (any game) far exceeds those from 20+ years ago.

Hopefully on Govs farewell match they chuck him forward like Jako and snag 3 or 4 goals.

He's so valuable down back I always thought he'd be an amazing "Hunter type" swing man.

Maybe if Hedwards can develop there will come a time where he kicks a bag

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

You cant compare players from 2 different eras of the game. Its like comparing Bradman and Tendulkar.

However in these scenarios I would always favour the more recent player, as sports science, fitness standards, and the speed and professionalism of the game (any game) far exceeds those from 20+ years ago.

Same can be argued that given those advances the older players would have been even better today.

Also, Bradman smokes Tendulkar and its not even close.

There's Bradman

Daylight
More Daylight

Everyone else.

How do you apply that to Jakovich who was at the peak of physical conditioning in his era to McGovern who has been largely mocked for his conditioning throughout his career.

Agree that the speed of the game has increased considerably, to the point our existing team can’t keep up. 😥

How do you apply that to Jakovich who was at the peak of physical conditioning in his era to McGovern who has been largely mocked for his conditioning throughout his career.

Agree that the speed of the game has increased considerably, to the point our existing team can’t keep up. 😥
The shit Gov always cops hasn’t been fair. It’s never held him back as player both via fitness and strength. In fact post 2020 he’s come back each preseason looking leaner and yet his body has broken down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing the two of them have in common is to sneak down and try and snag long goals from 50-60 metres out….

Jako was an absolute gun as a player and it would have been interesting to see how he ended up if he never did his knee…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The shit Gov always cops hasn’t been fair. It’s never held him back as player both via fitness and strength. In fact post 2020 he’s come back each preseason looking leaner and yet his body has broken down.
Fair or not with Gov, Jako was an absolute beast in his and any era of football, and the post I quoted was about conditioning.

For what it is worth, I think both players redefined the sport.

Early 1990’s eagles were ultimate professionals of the day and Jako was the ultimate specimen. Redefined the strength and conditioning needed to play the game at the top level.

Gov mastered the intercept mark to the point that teams had to work out how to protect the drop of the ball better or even chaos ball it in to limit his influence.

Fair or not with Gov, Jako was an absolute beast in his and any era of football, and the post I quoted was about conditioning.

For what it is worth, I think both players redefined the sport.

Early 1990’s eagles were ultimate professionals of the day and Jako was the ultimate specimen. Redefined the strength and conditioning needed to play the game at the top level.

Gov mastered the intercept mark to the point that teams had to work out how to protect the drop of the ball better or even chaos ball it in to limit his influence.
I'd hate to be a forward walking down to face a trio of Jakovich, McIntosh and McGovern. That mix would have been a sight to behold.

Both phenomenal players but McGovern takes the cookies for me.

While Jakovich was elite, McGovern invented the intercept defender role. Nobody before him played in the manner that he does, a defenders job was to nullify the forward with spoils and scragging.

McGovern comes along and simply outmarks the forward.

Testament to how he revolutionised the tall defender role is how many intercept defenders we have in the game today, something that 10 years ago didn't really exist.

As others have said, can't really compare players from different eras. That aside they are also completely different types of players. Robocop was a one on one battle machine . Gov is a quarterback who sets up play for us. Unfortunately he has no real backup, that's why he takes risky kicks. Both great players.

Both phenomenal players but McGovern takes the cookies for me.

While Jakovich was elite, McGovern invented the intercept defender role. Nobody before him played in the manner that he does, a defenders job was to nullify the forward with spoils and scragging.

McGovern comes along and simply outmarks the forward.

Testament to how he revolutionised the tall defender role is how many intercept defenders we have in the game today, something that 10 years ago didn't really exist.
Chad Cornes played the intercept defender role long before McGovern did.

Gov cannot lockdown on a player or maybe he can but has not been asked to??

Pretty important to be able to lock down an opposition player as a backman.

Both great players, both playing vastly different eras of the sport. (maybe two different sports)

If i had to pick one it would be Jacko.

Gov cannot lockdown on a player or maybe he can but has not been asked to??

Pretty important to be able to lock down an opposition player as a backman.
Gov can usually just do his normal stuff while defending a 3rd tall type, or a younger player, but not vs a good player.
Late last year he was meant to be manning Tex but got punished for trying to read the play.

Dont know if he can or cant man a strong KPF, but thats not his role, not all defenders first priority is to stop their man. Govs role is to defend everybody's man

Opinion Jakovich v McGovern

Back