Player Watch James Borlase - Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be madness to spend any decent draft capital on a KPD this year.

Haggis...."hold my beer"...

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It really seemed like a need with Macasey leaving and our two KPD's being rookies. And then injured.

But yeah, I wouldn't pay much for it either given these guys on the list.

Hi Guys, keen to get others feedback on this if you have 5 mins to watch last weeks Nicks presser (Aug 9th at 6 minute 40 second mark). IMHO, as unsubtle an outing of a player (as in to be delisted) that I can remember. This was posted in another thread but thought worth seeking others view to make sure i am not off with the fairy's.

PS Apologies to be anyone I have offended with some posts in recent days. Personally find repeated toxic comments isn't healthy for my normal happy and positive mindset and disposition so have blocked a handful of posters (that had been recommended to me my multiple others previously) to hopefully have a better experience on here.

last weeks presser (August 9th around 6:40) from Nicks.

"Keaney has now put 2 together and has shown he can play at the level. We are really excited about where he is at and is only going to get better with a good off season will come back even fitter and stronger"

"and Borlase came in and was fantastic. What a debut. We would love to see him back that up again this week. It’s a great opportunity for him coming into the last 3 weeks of the year"

Reporter asks “has he convinced you to give him a deal next year at the club?”

watch the body language for starters as he starts to answer the question (looks immediately uncomfortable) before reverting to normal poised pose later on when answering. Initially his body and head starts swaying side to side (even exaggerated movements up and down later on) a less confident pose overall, touching his nose and mainly the totally unconvincing words that then follow..

and then says

"ohh look, if we had…, yeah, I mean (stuttering start) we would love to keep him here (deflects to) you could probably ask questions about other players as well (touches his nose - nervous body language indicating anxiety/uncertainty) we would love to have 65 players on our list but list Management is delicate. It’s not, you know, as easy as saying yep we want this player, we want that player. Ummm, we keep all our guys, that’s what we pride ourselves on. The culture we are building (now off track, rambling, seemingly flustered and making factually incorrect statements). The issue becomes the draft and weve got to make changes and gotta bring guys in from that draft and with that even Cat B players can only be on the Cat B list for a certain amount of time and then need to go on main list, so there are challenges with that but James basically said on the weekend 'hey I want to be here' and we would love to have him here"

With these comments as soon as I heard him last week, and rewatching again now I am convinced Borlase is GONE. Silvers said similar. comments when I asked a question on the weekend. Subbed out in second game which was a little underwhelming after a great first game. Genuine concerns re athleticism is I feel the major issue (shortish and slowish). Silvers talking about focusing on switching focus to trading in a KPD meaning we likely give up a second rounder perhaps for a BZT or Cox (or someone else - no idea who), whilst we release James. Hopefully the lad gets another chance somewhere and its at least good he has had a number of games (2-4) at the end of this year to showcase talents

Hi Guys, keen to get others feedback on this if you have 5 mins to watch last weeks Nicks presser (Aug 9th at 6 minute 40 second mark). IMHO, as unsubtle an outing of a player (as in to be delisted) that I can remember. This was posted in another thread but thought worth seeking others view to make sure i am not off with the fairy's.

PS Apologies to be anyone I have offended with some posts in recent days. Personally find repeated toxic comments isn't healthy for my normal happy and positive mindset and disposition so have blocked a handful of posters (that had been recommended to me my multiple others previously) to hopefully have a better experience on here.

last weeks presser (August 9th around 6:40) from Nicks.

"Keaney has now put 2 together and has shown he can play at the level. We are really excited about where he is at and is only going to get better with a good off season will come back even fitter and stronger"

"and Borlase came in and was fantastic. What a debut. We would love to see him back that up again this week. It’s a great opportunity for him coming into the last 3 weeks of the year"

Reporter asks “has he convinced you to give him a deal next year at the club?”

watch the body language for starters as he starts to answer the question (looks immediately uncomfortable) before reverting to normal poised pose later on when answering. Initially his body and head starts swaying side to side (even exaggerated movements up and down later on) a less confident pose overall, touching his nose and mainly the totally unconvincing words that then follow..

and then says

"ohh look, if we had…, yeah, I mean (stuttering start) we would love to keep him here (deflects to) you could probably ask questions about other players as well (touches his nose - nervous body language indicating anxiety/uncertainty) we would love to have 65 players on our list but list Management is delicate. It’s not, you know, as easy as saying yep we want this player, we want that player. Ummm, we keep all our guys, that’s what we pride ourselves on. The culture we are building (now off track, rambling, seemingly flustered and making factually incorrect statements). The issue becomes the draft and weve got to make changes and gotta bring guys in from that draft and with that even Cat B players can only be on the Cat B list for a certain amount of time and then need to go on main list, so there are challenges with that but James basically said on the weekend 'hey I want to be here' and we would love to have him here"

With these comments as soon as I heard him last week, and rewatching again now I am convinced Borlase is GONE. Silvers said similar. comments when I asked a question on the weekend. Subbed out in second game which was a little underwhelming after a great first game. Genuine concerns re athleticism is I feel the major issue (shortish and slowish). Silvers talking about focusing on switching focus to trading in a KPD meaning we likely give up a second rounder perhaps for a BZT or Cox (or someone else - no idea who), whilst we release James. Hopefully the lad gets another chance somewhere and its at least good he has had a number of games (2-4) at the end of this year to showcase talents
I think you could see it on James’s face when he was subbed.

It would be madness to spend any decent draft capital on a KPD this year.

Haggis...."hold my beer"...

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
So you are suggesting if we rate Connor O'Sullivan, Daniel Curtin or Ollie Murphy as best available when it comes to our pick we should draft a midfielder they rate as inferior on a pure talent basis?

I hope that isn't how they're thinking given apart from the mids at the pointy end Harley Reid, Colby McKercher and Riley Sanders the next best mid prospect is every chance to be there late 1st/2nd round.....on performances this is not a great draft for midfielders when it comes to draftee's that tick all boxes.

How would you feel about taking a 170cm small forward/mid Nick Watson because on a pure talent basis he's close to the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in this draft.

Signed a two year contract extension

Safe to say our backline is a ‘set and forget’ for a couple of seasons now.

No problems from me on his signing on. He has improved this year and was dependable when called on. No brainer from where I sit.
How many AFL games will he play barring injury to Murray, Butts, Keane or Worrell?

And why 2 not 1 year?

How many AFL games will he play barring injury to Murray, Butts, Keane or Worrell?

And why 2 not 1 year?
Well show me the past and I will show you the future...it seems that a few of our talls are not that durable and having a guy that can come in on notice and do a good job and Borlase can do that is not a bad list decision to make

As long as it's batting around league minimum, it's probably an ok deal. After all, Borlase is a pretty dependable backup.
However, it does again raise eyebrows that we're going to have another offseason with close to minimal changes to our list, with a list that started to have a whiff of staling out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well show me the past and I will show you the future...it seems that a few of our talls are not that durable and having a guy that can come in on notice and do a good job and Borlase can do that is not a bad list decision to make
It appears we also have Chris Burgess signed through to 2025 who has always been considered a competent swingman in the past.

Signing Borlase IMO is simply treading water when a players like James Barrat and Clancy Dennis who have enormous upside will more than likely be later picks in the draft and available at our pick 42 and perhaps even our pick 60. Hell even the 198cm athletic tall defender Noah Mraz is a chance to be there at pick 42.

Why not 1 year?

A bit lucky to get two years, has been in the system for a number of years. Still young but hasn't looked up to AFL standard.

I would of tried another SANFL, WAFL or VFL defender with potential and seen if the AFL environment improves them.

It appears we also have Chris Burgess signed through to 2025 who has always been considered a competent swingman in the past.

Signing Borlase IMO is simply treading water when a players like James Barrat and Clancy Dennis who have enormous upside will more than likely be later picks in the draft and available at our pick 42 and perhaps even our pick 60. Hell even the 198cm athletic tall defender Noah Mraz is a chance to be there at pick 42.

Why not 1 year?
Is he though - seems to be some doubt on the board about that and Borlase has shown himself to be much the better player at AFL level of the 2

As for the players you mention, I will defer to you there as I have not seen them play

However, it does again raise eyebrows that we're going to have another offseason with close to minimal changes to our list, with a list that started to have a whiff of staling out.

To be fair, we have plenty of players on the list that we've yet to actually use. Hard to be stale when we haven't even taken the lid off the tin yet! I guess if we brought in six or seven new ones plus the likes of Edwards, Ryan, and T Murray who all deserve to play at some point, plus the likes of Curtin, Dowling, Taylor and Bond who have only just started their AFL careers, and then a whole bunch of guys in that 30-70 games played range, we'd just end up with most of the new recruits in the SANFL all year anyway.

I'd rather see us focus on bringing in 3-4 really highly rated players than 6-7 decent ones. If we have the draft capital to take 6-7 good players, then trade it up to take a few great ones. And if we don't then there's little value in picking the scraps at the end of the draft anyway.

That being said, I'd hope this signals the end of the Burgess experiment.

Is he though - seems to be some doubt on the board about that and Borlase has shown himself to be much the better player at AFL level of the 2

As for the players you mention, I will defer to you there as I have not seen them play
If Burgess wasn't signed and he's as bad as you seem to think why hasn't he been delisted already, there's now 2 sites Footywire and Zero Hangar that have him signed onto 2025 and as someone said it looks like it's been updated only recently.

If Burgess wasn't signed and he's as bad as you seem to think why hasn't he been delisted already, there's now 2 sites Footywire and Zero Hangar that have him signed onto 2025 and as someone said it looks like it's been updated only recently.

He was signed for 2024 at Gold Coast, why would he have moved here without an extra year or something to seal the deal?

I find it hard to believe we just absorbed his Suns contract

but how do they have better 'intel' that the average punter? Surely they arent getting inside contract info that isnt publicly released.

Crows never announced we were extending Burgess when trading for him from my understanding so not sure Footywire etc have any more idea than we do

He was signed for 2024 at Gold Coast, why would he have moved here without an extra year or something to seal the deal?

true but nothing was ever announced so arent we all guessing? your logic makes sense but perhaps he saw more opportunity in our team relative to GC who have a plethora of young talent across the board

I've said that all along so it comes as no surprise to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch James Borlase - Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back