James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Young and White I have no Idea.

Adams was 350-400l but had to pay Extra for him to make sure we got him. He is a long term prospect

The talk was 350k for Young.

White would be 250-300k mark i would assume.

Roughly we have lost or will lose at end of season.

Maxwell would be on 450k alone but 100k of that in vet.
Didak was on 400k.
Davis was 300k.
Wellingham 300k.
Dawes 350k.
Shaw was 450k.
Jolly 400k.
Lynch 300k.
Thomas 500k.
Tarrant 450k.
Krakour 300k.

Then there was Medhurst, Brown, Fraser, O'bree from 2010 wqho left but would of been absorbed by resigning of Cloke Pendles etc.

Last edited:

So the Smile that Bucks gave to Robbo was a “You are an Idiot Robbo and you have no idea what is happening"
I'd be staggered if, as reported, he is after a 7 year contract, and a club offered it!
My club need a fullback with Lake finishing next year, but I'd be filthy if we offered him 7 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually hope they do sign him as I don't believe they are good enough to win a flag any time soon and his fat contract will completely stuff up their salary cap. If he does sign I hope all non Eddie McGuire whores start calling for the death of Free Agency and how it's "compromising the fairness of the competition".

Andre , I do think the reaction to the Academies has been a little over the top , probably more to do with the current strength of Sydney than anything , but FA surely you jest.

So the Smile that Bucks gave to Robbo was a “You are an Idiot Robbo and you have no idea what is happening"

My God that "look" meant nothing, Guy McKenna had the same look on his face and so did Chris Scott when asked about Frawley.

He's going to Gold Coast, Collingwood and Geelong next year all have been confirmed.

Very few Pies players imo will have drastically increased their salaries in the last couple of years. Not sure about when contracts were signed but I think probably only Beams, Elliott, Grundy, Reid and Josh Thomas would have been looking at any decent sort of pay rise.

Adams, Young into the club. A swag of kids on 100k a year or thereabouts.

But take out Dale Thomas, Maxwell, Shaw, Jolly, Wellingham and then there's already enough to pay Frawley I think considering not many Pies players have established themselves in that time (guys like Pendles and Cloke were already on big money, and Sidebottom/Beams were already v.good players and so I can't imagine their salaries have increased too much). Swans surely getting a pay decrease too.

"So a professional sporting club that's been one of the most well run for over a decade is chasing a high profile recruit without actually having the money to pay said recruit? what does Eade know? Duh ! "
I'll take the random Collingwood supporter's version in bigfooty over Eade's feedback anyday. More drama I say.

Free Agency is a massive advantage for the well resourced clubs, even high profile people in the wealthier clubs have acknowledged that. Haven't sen you guys badly hurt by any of the blokes that have moved on
Andre , I do think the reaction to the Academies has been a little over the top , probably more to do with the current strength of Sydney than anything , but FA surely you jest.

Hey mate, I was tongue in cheek.

When the AFL brought Free Agency in there was no way it was ever going to be repealed. It's here for good whether we like it or not.

I did find Tex Walker's (who is rapidly becoming my favourite non Giant player) comments on free agency very interesting and probably more perceptive than any media commentator has been in the subject. It will make the stronger clubs stronger and it will take away loyalty and make players more transactional with their careers. In the long term that will lead to a greater divide and less interest in the sport.

All that said this is about James Frawley....I still think Hawthorn are best placed to get him and if he had any brains he would either go there or Geelong as Collingwood will not be flag contenders for some time IMHO.

Free Agency is a massive advantage for the well resourced clubs, even high profile people in the wealthier clubs have acknowledged that. Haven't sen you guys badly hurt by any of the blokes that have moved on

Hey mate, I was tongue in cheek.

When the AFL brought Free Agency in there was no way it was ever going to be repealed. It's here for good whether we like it or not.

I did find Tex Walker's (who is rapidly becoming my favourite non Giant player) comments on free agency very interesting and probably more perceptive than any media commentator has been in the subject. It will make the stronger clubs stronger and it will take away loyalty and make players more transactional with their careers. In the long term that will lead to a greater divide and less interest in the sport.

All that said this is about James Frawley....I still think Hawthorn are best placed to get him and if he had any brains he would either go there or Geelong as Collingwood will not be flag contenders for some time IMHO.

Andre , I suppose it's like the saying .. "you have to be careful what you wish , you might get it". FA is not something that AFL was over keen for , its at the push from the players and the AFLPA that it was introduced. And let be fair , once you start talking about the money and the professionalism of the modern game , its unrealistic to expect a player to go to an employer , not of his choice and stay there for his whole career if he dissatisfied. After a defined period , i think its more than fair to choose where you want to be employed.
Rivers is a good example , the figure I saw recently was he had played in 20 wins in the previous 5 years with Melb and had now played 18 from 22 with Geelong.
Frawley has played that defined FA amount of time and it wlll be real interesting where he choose's and what he squeezes out of his next employer.

Whether this all affects a lack of loyalty , to some degree is unavoidable with supporters but like with some many other things some will acclimatise, some will lose interest. The clubs have to get better to make sure players are satisfied. Your club is a few years from that yet , and my guess by the time most get to 8 years you will be a gun side and most will be happy to stay.

Academies well that for another thread but basically Id assess the advantage and once it becomes to strong Id adjust it but atm not overly advantageous

Stevo on AFL Gameday just said Frawley to Collingwood is absolute rubbish, they are not interested and couldnt pay the price for the deal.
Carlton supporter heard that Frawley wants an astronomical figure to change clubs. You can understand why the Pies would say no.

Crazy town after Gibbs stayed to get approx. 500K like some have claimed. Give or take.

Do you have a link for that ? I was sure it was more than that.

This appear to be the latest CBA for the AFL (from 2012 to 2016)

(This is the old one from 2007 to 2011)

The first year player payments is set out on page 63&64 of the new CBA.
If Tom Boyd played every game this year he would've received a base payment of $69,430, match payments of $3,400 (x22), match bonuses of $9,510 for playing more than 11 games and $10,000 for being the number one pick. This adds up to $163,740.
At the moment though he'll make about $96k this year

Remove this Banner Ad

James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back