James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

$500k probably wouldn't be a pick after your first pick, looking at previous examples.

Goddard, Buddy and Thomas all got that kind of compo, and they went for $700-750k or more per year (I'm going off Lloyd's figures for Thomas, as dirty as that makes me feel). Pearce, Chaplin and Sylvia went for around the $400-$500k mark per year, so got second round compo. $500k is going to see an end of first round compo pick at best.
Sylvia is on 400-500k??

I am pretty certain Hawthorn were angry about not getting any FA Compo for a player who left, and i was sure it was Clinton Young..

As i say before, at Malceski's age, no way is he worth a 2nd rnd draft pick. The whole FA Compo criteria is just a mess though, Denetriou and the AFL really didn't think this through properly.
We lost Clinton Young and received pick 66. We also lost Tom Murphy for no compensation. The club thought was unders.

Worth an end of first rounder at best. Which is probably what a premiership contender would offer looking for that specific piece of their puzzle. In no world is he worth a pick after melbournes first, and if they award that then ill have lost pretty much all faith in the great game.

Worth an end of first rounder at best. Which is probably what a premiership contender would offer looking for that specific piece of their puzzle. In no world is he worth a pick after melbournes first, and if they award that then ill have lost pretty much all faith in the great game.
Well good thing no one really cares about your faith in the game, 'cause he will most likely get band 1.

What would have been interesting if Gibbs had of gone , and Frawley had gone......

What would have been interesting if Gibbs had of gone , and Frawley had gone......

Gibbs is a better player than frawley everyday of the week, personally though not getting caught up with his draft pick No. And output alone id say end of first round.

Spose you can just use frawley as a gauge n youll have your answer, given we are up the same end of the ladder as them also....

Gibbs is a better player than frawley everyday of the week, personally though not getting caught up with his draft pick No. And output alone id say end of first round.

Spose you can just use frawley as a gauge n youll have your answer, given we are up the same end of the ladder as them also....

I suspect both may have got mid R1's and then the would have got p3 while you have got p8? Now how you feel looking at what they got for Scully compared to Ablett. Systems not meant to be fair

Malceski has a few options this off-season. Staying with Sydney is easy. Going to a non-Melbourne club is also easy, as a free agent. But Melbourne may not want to "dilute" the Frawley compo (assuming he leaves), so that's why posters are raising PSD threats and trades that would result in Sydney getting less than they would in FA compo. They're hanging their hat on the fact that Malceski desperately wants to get to Melbourne and only Melbourne (Roos) in this scenario that he'd be willing to risk going to other clubs in the PSD instead of just signing elsewhere as a FA.

Again Melbourne's flawed thinking in relation to early draft picks which has damaged their club is rearing its ugly head. Surely Frawley out and Malclski in should be considered a win. I strongly suspect that if Melbourne or any other club go this route, this will be the end of FA compensation - It's making a mockery of the system.

Malceski's trade and FA value is a lot lower than Frawley's.

Melbourne could trade Malceski to Sydney for pick 39 (for example) and the compo for Frawley leaving as FA would not be affected.

Do you think the AFL will still allow FA compensation for rorting of the system ? Essendon and Power did it with Monfries, but the more you go to the well !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again Melbourne's flawed thinking in relation to early draft picks which has damaged their club is rearing its ugly head. Surely Frawley out and Malclski in should be considered a win. I strongly suspect that if Melbourne or any other club go this route, this will be the end of FA compensation - It's making a mockery of the system.

Seriously mate, don't even bring that up - Roos doesn't think like that.

Do you think the AFL will still allow FA compensation for rorting of the system ? Essendon and Power did it with Monfries, but the more you go to the well !
That situation will only happen when both clubs lose a player to FA.
I guess the AFL can't have an issue as FA is only a vehicle for which a player can use. IMO compensation will eventually go or be revamped but not due to this issue.

The compo system is not discretionary. Sydney, Melbourne or whoever else can rort it until such time that it is changed.

St Kilda and North basically did the opposite last year. Dal Santo was worth more as a FA than North could offer in a trade in terms of draft picks so St Kilda allowed him to go via FA and in return North traded Delaney for a very late pick.

One is an AA, the only has finally played a half decent season

Dal Santo was worth more as a FA than North could offer in a trade in terms of draft picks so St Kilda allowed him to go via FA and in return North traded Delaney for a very late pick.

Well North could have traded to get a pick worth what Dal was really worth. But going the FA path allowed them to get him at a discount as it only cost them Delaney.

The late pick was not one St Kilda was going to use. So from the Saints perspective they gained the pick plus Delaney for Dal.

Delaney has had a great year, and looks set to be the St Kilda Full Back for an extended period. So from a long-terms view the Saints have achieved a deal where Dal has gained them two players for the rebuild and where Dal if he had stayed would not have been part of this future team. So effectively this has placed us 2 players up in our rebuild compared to if Dal had stayed on.

Doing multi-deals like this has been a hallmark of Pelchen's trading since he arrived to try and reduce the time required to achieve an almost total rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back