James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be very surprised if Melbourne picked up Malceski as FA if we lose Frawley. We wouldn't dilute the compo if it is pick 4-5.

You wouldn't know what the pic is until after the FA is done though wouldn't you?

Moot point anyway as Sydney would IMO rather trade for him so they get more compensation back.

You wouldn't know what the pic is until after the FA is done though wouldn't you?

Moot point anyway as Sydney would IMO rather trade for him so they get more compensation back.
If he leaves it's likely to be for a long deal on big dollars. Surely we get a pick in round 1 after ours.

If he leaves it's likely to be for a long deal on big dollars. Surely we get a pick in round 1 after ours.

It's interesting what constitutes "fair" in this case, for you guys pick #3 would be making out like bandits but an end of first round would be slightly un fair. I am not sure there are any levers the AFL can pull to put your pick in the 13(ish) bracket that most IMO would consider spot on.

It's interesting what constitutes "fair" in this case, for you guys pick #3 would be making out like bandits but an end of first round would be slightly un fair. I am not sure there are any levers the AFL can pull to put your pick in the 13(ish) bracket that most IMO would consider spot on.
No doubt the compo system is unfair. Pick 20 for Buddy was a joke compared to a top 5 pick for Frawley. It will be overhauled.

No doubt the compo system is unfair. Pick 20 for Buddy was a joke compared to a top 5 pick for Frawley. It will be overhauled.

I dont see how it will be overhauled. Botttom clubs get more comp , as it should be. In a way its not only the player that is compensated , its the loss relative to that side. Haw is equal top this year , how badly did it affect them losing Buddy? A bottom side loses it best player , it might be devastating.

What might happen is restriction that mean top sides can not be the club of choice for FA's , maybe some SC incentive to encourage FA's to bottom clubs.... but the comp will not get better for the like's of Hawks or Geelong

I dont see how it will be overhauled. Botttom clubs get more comp , as it should be. In a way its not only the player that is compensated , its the loss relative to that side. Haw is equal top this year , how badly did it affect them losing Buddy? A bottom side loses it best player , it might be devastating.

What might happen is restriction that mean top sides can not be the club of choice for FA's , maybe some SC incentive to encourage FA's to bottom clubs.... but the comp will not get better for the like's of Hawks or Geelong
I think they will make changes. It won't be easy as not all clubs and AFLPA will agree.

I think they will make changes. It won't be easy as not all clubs and AFLPA will agree.

Some think there should be no comp at all, would that be better?

Something has to happen to stall the leakage of FA's to the Premiership sides , as this will eventually create a feeling of super sides..ie Syd have already started people thinking they have to up the anty. Geelong do not like FA but if its in they have to try to be right in the mix for every FA or they risk being left behind.

I would be very surprised if Melbourne picked up Malceski as FA if we lose Frawley. We wouldn't dilute the compo if it is pick 4-5.

What is your logic for this statement. As I understand it lose a FA , gain a FA = No comp..Just like with Rivers out/Byrnes in.

My think is if they want Machinski , they will trade for him ,Perhaps Melbs R2 for him.
Alt , maybe even get them to add another player. Lets say a mix of Malchiski & another player they rate for P2. Perhaps Rohan or Mitchell or someone else. Melb have shown they will trade a early round 1 pick , would tempt Syd especially if Mitchell is on big money playing in the 2nd's

What is your logic for this statement. As I understand it lose a FA , gain a FA = No comp..Just like with Rivers out/Byrnes in.

My think is if they want Machinski , they will trade for him ,Perhaps Melbs R2 for him.
Alt , maybe even get them to add another player. Lets say a mix of Malchiski & another player they rate for P2. Perhaps Rohan or Mitchell or someone else. Melb have shown they will trade a early round 1 pick , would tempt Syd especially if Mitchell is on big money playing in the 2nd's
My logic was not picking him up as FA. I would trade for him.

Some think there should be no comp at all, would that be better?

Something has to happen to stall the leakage of FA's to the Premiership sides , as this will eventually create a feeling of super sides..ie Syd have already started people thinking they have to up the anty. Geelong do not like FA but if its in they have to try to be right in the mix for every FA or they risk being left behind.
I like the system where top sides are restricted with picking up FA.

I like the system where top sides are restricted with picking up FA.

The issue with that (as I see it) , the whole FA principle that has been introduced is to compensate for the players putting aside their rights to choose employers to enter AFL. After 8 years in the system , they have contributed to the comp and now are entitled to choose who and where they want to be. So to take a personal view , I imagine growing up in a town Perth or Adelaide or Melb or wherever , being drafted away from home to a place I may be happy or unhappy to go. Id certainly want to have the ability to control my place of employment after 8 years. Not to mention , that if a player/players took it to court the whole system would be considered restraint of trade.

So , excluding the top 4 teams clashes with that. Imagine a WA kid drafted to GWS and 8 years hard work would like to go home to WA but both side are in the top 4.

It may be workable but I think it may be better if bottom sides are more attractive financially because they get SC help to offer more. For example Geelong , Haw and Melb want a FA playing for Brisbane.Maybe the bottom 10 sides get 500 FA buffer in cap space to entice FA. So Player X can go to Geelong and Haw for 400 a year but Melb can offer 900. Bris could also offer the extra 500 to keep the FA. There would have to be rules etc but something like this would help even it up. Of course there will still be some that have played their whole career at losing clubs , and they will play for less for a couple of years of winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's more likely a player would take the guaranteed money with less faffing around by signing directly with a club rather than putting himself at risk of going to the Saints, GWS or Brisbane in the PSD... Sure, Melbourne might benefit with Malceski going into the PSD but unless they're offering him a couple of hundred thousand more than the next bidder (unlikely) I don't see how he benefits.

I think it's more likely a player would take the guaranteed money with less faffing around by signing directly with a club rather than putting himself at risk of going to the Saints, GWS or Brisbane in the PSD... Sure, Melbourne might benefit with Malceski going into the PSD but unless they're offering him a couple of hundred thousand more than the next bidder (unlikely) I don't see how he benefits.

He benefits by going to the club of his choice.

Melbourne won't give a second round pick and won't take him via FA. Sydney know this and will accept a third rounder IMO (if he asks for a trade to Melbourne).

But you're right, it's a complicated situation for Malceski. I think Freo would be the ideal destination for him.

I think top 5 is too much 13 is unders, he was taken there and is now in his prime, and is a top AFL fullback, I think he is worth less than 10 but more than 5. Maybe I'm wrong but I think he had increased his value from when he was drafted

If Sydney get greedy (or even reasonable) on a Malceski trade, he will go to Melbourne via the PSD. Think Melbournes third rounder is fair given they can take him for free.

Freo would take him via FA.

My guess for Malceski is end of r2 compo.
That pick will probably be tied up for them with Billy Stretch.

So what happens then I dunno. Could get very messy for Mal.

That pick will probably be tied up for them with Billy Stretch.

So what happens then I dunno. Could get very messy for Mal.

Good point.

I agree it would be messy.

I think just screw the swans and take him in the PSD. With CoLA and Heeney it's not like they aren't already getting a massive leg up.

The other clubs won't pick him.

I think top 5 is too much 13 is unders, he was taken there and is now in his prime, and is a top AFL fullback, I think he is worth less than 10 but more than 5. Maybe I'm wrong but I think he had increased his value from when he was drafted

How can you really narrow it to that? I had this discussion on our board. Even at three there is no lock that you get a great player . Have look at some recent P3's and the player around him. At best its a chance to get a very good player. A Chance. Is Hansen better than Frawley. No for mine.

AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2013 2013 AFL National Draft Summary
RoundPick Drafted By Player Current Team Games Since Drafted
1 1 GWS Thomas Boyd GWS 4
1 2 GWS Joshua Kelly GWS 13
1 3 St Kilda Jack Billings St Kilda 14
1 4 Western Bulldogs Marcus Bontempelli Western Bulldogs 11
1 5 Gold Coast Kade Kolodjashnij Gold Coast 14

AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2012 2012 AFL National Draft Summary
1 1 GWS Lachie Whitfield GWS 30
1 2 GWS Jonathan O'Rourke GWS 5
1 3 GWS Lachlan Plowman GWS 13
1 4 Melbourne Jimmy Toumpas Melbourne 18
1 5 Western Bulldogs Jake Stringer Western Bulldogs 23

AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2011 2011 AFL National Draft Summary
1 1 GWS Jonathon Patton GWS 26
1 2 GWS Stephen Coniglio GWS 44
1 3 GWS Dom Tyson Melbourne 30
1 4 GWS Will Hoskin-Elliott GWS 34
1 5 GWS Matthew Buntine GWS 12

AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2010 2010 AFL National Draft Summary
1 1 Gold Coast David Swallow Gold Coast 68
1 2 Gold Coast Harley Bennell Gold Coast 61
1 3 Gold Coast Sam Day Gold Coast 59
1 4 West Coast Andrew Gaff West Coast 80
1 5 Brisbane Jared Polec Port Adelaide 32

AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2009 2009 AFL National Draft Summary
1 Priority Melbourne Tom Scully GWS 86
2 Priority Melbourne Jack Trengove Melbourne 81
1 3 Richmond Dustin Martin Richmond 103
1 4 Fremantle Anthony Morabito Fremantle 26
1 5 North Melbourne Ben Cunnington North Melbourne 91

AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2008 2008 AFL National Draft Summary
1 1 Melbourne Jack Watts Melbourne 90
1 2 West Coast Nicholas Naitanui West Coast 104
1 3 Fremantle Stephen Hill Fremantle 122
1 4 Port Adelaide Hamish Hartlett Port Adelaide 82
1 5 Essendon Michael Hurley Essendon 94

AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2007
2007 AFL National Draft Summary
1 Priority Carlton Matthew Kreuzer Carlton 106
1 2 Richmond Trent Cotchin Richmond 125
1 3 West Coast Chris Masten West Coast 113
1 4 Melbourne Cale Morton 76
1 5 Western Bulldogs Jarrad Grant Western Bulldogs 61

AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2006
2006 AFL National Draft Summary
1 1 Carlton Bryce Gibbs Carlton 173
1 2 Essendon Scott Gumbleton Fremantle 35
1 3 North Melbourne Lachlan Hansen North Melbourne 115
1 4 Brisbane Matthew Leuenberger Brisbane 93
1 5 Port Adelaide Travis Boak Port Adelaide 147

If Sydney get greedy (or even reasonable) on a Malceski trade, he will go to Melbourne via the PSD. Think Melbournes third rounder is fair given they can take him for free.

Freo would take him via FA.

My guess for Malceski is end of r2 compo.

Hawthorn didn't get any FA Compo for Clinton Young when he left (who was a best 22 player for the Hawks at the time)
The Sydney should not get any compo at all for Malceski under that criteria (especially given his age, i would be annoyed if they got a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder for him)

Hawthorn didn't get any FA Compo for Clinton Young when he left (who was a best 22 player for the Hawks at the time)
The Sydney should not get any compo at all for Malceski under that criteria (especially given his age, i would be annoyed if they got a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder for him)
Mal is a MUCH better player than Clinton Young, and Hawthorn got a 3rd rounder for him anyway.

Criteria has changed slightly since then.

Last edited:
They don't base it on whether a player is better or not.
Perhaps not, but they do base it on cash/contract, and you'd expect Mal to earn more than Young does.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back