James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it is failing the majority - because the majority of sides are not holding the ladder up.
The majority of sides do not want Melbourne to get pick 3, because they'll fall back a spot in their precious draft.
The majority of sides probably get prime time games as well, a fair amount of that majority don't get r*ped and pillaged by the stronger clubs.
The majority of sides don't have their best forward walk out of the club - only to come back and play for a successful club.
I won't even get started on Frawley.

As someone who used to take the p*ss out of the Dees, I now genuinely feel for their fans.

If they don't like it down there then they should get their act together. Freo lost Tarrant as soon as we turned him into a decent footballer and Croad. Geelong lost Abblett. Hawthorn lost Franklin, Essenson have lost Ryder and Crameri. Collingwood Beams. Port lost Burgoyne, Adelaide Gunston, West Coast Judd, Bribane Clark, Polac. GWS half of who they have recruited etc etc etc. all clubs lose players. Melbourne have there best chance ever to get thing right with an excellent coach, but they are going to have to fight their way to the top like the rest of us.

If they don't like it down there then they should get their act together. Freo lost Tarrant as soon as we turned him into a decent footballer and Croad. Geelong lost Abblett. Hawthorn lost Franklin, Essenson have lost Ryder and Crameri. Collingwood Beams. Port lost Burgoyne, Adelaide Gunston, West Coast Judd, Bribane Clark, Polac. GWS half of who they have recruited etc etc etc. all clubs lose players. Melbourne have there best chance ever to get thing right with an excellent coach, but they are going to have to fight their way to the top like the rest of us.

Port got 8 and 9 for Burgoyne, Collingwood want the world for Beams, Geelong compensated for Ablett, Hawthorn a touch unlucky with Franklin, Essendon want Wines for Ryder, so what is your point? You don't want Melbourne to get pick 3, yet you have thrown up examples of players whose clubs were handsomely compensated. I agree Melbourne have the best chance of getting things right, but makes it a little hard to get things right when your best forward retires and your best backman walks out on the club.

Let's see if you still feel the same way when one of your stars leave as a FA
See now you're talking rubbish, because all I said is the Frawley is not worth pick 3. I suggested it is fair to get a good pick to compensate for his loss not a great pick. He is not a great player, he is a good one.Franklin is a far, far better player than Frawley and Hawthorn got a pick in the late teens irrc. And you want pick 3. (which I think you will probably get btw)

See now you're talking rubbish, because all I said is the Frawley is not worth pick 3. I suggested it is fair to get a good pick to compensate for his loss not a great pick. He is not a great player, he is a good one.Franklin is a far, far better player than Frawley and Hawthorn got a pick in the late teens irrc. And you want pick 3. (which I think you will probably get btw)

And they won the flag the year after they lost him. The team being over-compensated because they are rubbish, or the team being under-compensated because they are winning flags..... I know which one I'd rather be.

Port got 8 and 9 for Burgoyne, Collingwood want the world for Beams, Geelong compensated for Ablett, Hawthorn a touch unlucky with Franklin, Essendon want Wines for Ryder, so what is your point? You don't want Melbourne to get pick 3, yet you have thrown up examples of players whose clubs were handsomely compensated. I agree Melbourne have the best chance of getting things right, but makes it a little hard to get things right when your best forward retires and your best backman walks out on the club.

I don't like free agency and i think the rules should be changed, but if you want to cry about Melbourne losing a player then maybe I should start crying about all the priority picks and number 1 picks and high picks Melbourne have been getting for years.They had every chance to draft their way out of their predicament and they didn't. They were still getting good picks during the expansion times when most other clubs were getting stuff all and we all had to try and make something out of nothing. They have been given every opportunity to get it right and have had huge advantages over the rest of us. I think it is reasonable for people to expect that they get compensated commensurate to Frawley worth and that is not pick 3 and that the other clubs are not unfairly disadvantaged by his defection.

Lol
I reckon the Pies dodged a bullet with Mitch Clark.....................
i reckon the Dees have copped all the bullets you guys have dodged...
I don't like free agency and i think the rules should be changed, but if you want to cry about Melbourne losing a player then maybe I should start crying about all the priority picks and number 1 picks and high picks Melbourne have been getting for years.They had every chance to draft their way out of their predicament and they didn't. They were still getting good picks during the expansion times when most other clubs were getting stuff all and we all had to try and make something out of nothing. They have been given every opportunity to get it right and have had huge advantages over the rest of us. I think it is reasonable for people to expect that they get compensated commensurate to Frawley worth and that is not pick 3 and that the other clubs are not unfairly disadvantaged by his defection.
Lol... Wow... All the priority picks? we have had one top ten priority pick? I find it hilarious how clubs like hawthorn, collingwood, carlton can be awarded far more priority picks and never get scrutinised... Yet melbourne gets one in the top ten and it means we always get them? Farout... Maybe you should go to footy wire and have a proper look, it may be surprising for you...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like free agency and i think the rules should be changed, but if you want to cry about Melbourne losing a player then maybe I should start crying about all the priority picks and number 1 picks and high picks Melbourne have been getting for years.
This has to be the biggest myth that continuously gets trotted out on BigFooty for no reason.

In the last 5 seasons, Melbourne have won a grand total of 26 games.

We have received no priority picks and no number one picks.

Our highest draft picks in those years:
2010 - 12
2011 - 36
2012 - 4
2013 - 9

This has to be the biggest myth that continuously gets trotted out on BigFooty for no reason.

2010 - 12
2011 - 36
2012 - 4
2013 - 9

I don't think any picks in last 2 or 3 years would be making a huge difference as generally takes 40-60 games for players to become consistent AFL performers. The real issue looks to be with your recruiters so there is some resistance from opposition supporters to the Demons being rewarded for their own poor choices.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/06/27/answers-to-melbournes-questions-lie-in-their-draft-picks/
2007 Cale Morton (Jack Grimes with 2nd pick)
2008 Jack Watts and Sam Blease
2009 Tom Scully and Jack Trengove
2010 Lucas Cook

No team should be compensated for losing a player via FA. Thats why it's FA. Teams don't get compensated for losing players in other sports such as soccer and basketball. Compensation makes it too messy.
Maybe there could be a sign and trade window. Were FA are given a week or 2 period to nominate a club and if the clubs can work out a deal, good on em. Otherwise the player leaves for nothing. Harsh reality.

No, you're talking rubbish. Frawley is worth band 1, the only reason why it's a problem is because of our position on the ladder. If we were a top 4 team then no one would give a shit. And I would very happily trade that pick 3 and not be on the bottom of the ladder.

Personally I think we will get band 2

I don't think any picks in last 2 or 3 years would be making a huge difference as generally takes 40-60 games for players to become consistent AFL performers. The real issue looks to be with your recruiters so there is some resistance from opposition supporters to the Demons being rewarded for their own poor choices.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/06/27/answers-to-melbournes-questions-lie-in-their-draft-picks/
2007 Cale Morton (Jack Grimes with 2nd pick)
2008 Jack Watts and Sam Blease
2009 Tom Scully and Jack Trengove
2010 Lucas Cook

Wow, where to start with that. So, the reason why opposition fans are against it is because between 2007 and 2010 we have a poor 1st round drafting record, even though the people responsible are no longer at the club

Does that really look like a reasonable argument to you?

No team should be compensated for losing a player via FA. Thats why it's FA. Teams don't get compensated for losing players in other sports such as soccer and basketball. Compensation makes it too messy.
Maybe there could be a sign and trade window. Were FA are given a week or 2 period to nominate a club and if the clubs can work out a deal, good on em. Otherwise the player leaves for nothing. Harsh reality.
I agree but that's the rules at the moment. True free agency means no compo. If the afl do that (they should) then they also need to allow clubs to trade players without their consent. That's the flip side of open player movement.

2010 - 12
2011 - 36
2012 - 4
2013 - 9

Why stop at 2010? You had the #1 pick in 2008 and #1 & #2 in 2009.

You had pick 2 in 2013 and chose to trade it to get Tyson.
You had picks 3 and 4 and 14 in 2012. You chose to trade 3 and 14 (4 and 14 freebie first round picks for Tom Scully) to get Hogan. You were also then allowed to draft Viney at 26.
You had pick 12 in 2011. You chose to trade it for Clark.

There is a myth I agree, but it's not like 12, 36, 4 and 9 are the only picks you had over 4 years.

2010 - 12
2011 - 36
2012 - 4
2013 - 9

2010 - 12
2011 - 36
2012 - 4
2013 - 9

You had picks 3 and 4 and 14 in 2012. You chose to trade 3 and 14 (4 and 14 freebie first round picks for Tom Scully) to get Hogan. You were also then allowed to draft Viney at 26.

There is a myth I agree, but it's not like 12, 36, 4 and 9 are the only picks you had over 4 years.

Glad you exposed the obscuring of some of those high draft picks. Just because they get traded away doesn't mean never existed and some instant gain wasn't received from them.

We've had two number 1 picks in the past ten years, one of those was a priority pick... Our priority pick was poached in an unprecedented raid and was replaced with pick 3 and 14... We weren't given a choice here and at the time, we wanted to keep Scully... We've had 1 top ten priority pick in the last ten years, the rest of our high picks were our normal positional picks... We have received far less assistance than it's being lead to believe... Hawthorne received 3 top ten priority picks, along with their normal positional picks, during their rebuilding faze.. Without any of the scrutiny and accusations that have been accosted to us...

How were we allowed to draft Viney at pick 26? He was a father/son who we drafted at 26, because no one nominated him before our first pick... That's the rules...

Personally I don't blame Frawley for leaving Melbourne under the new free agencies rules, They offer him the chance to sure up money for his future and a chance at joining a club who will most likely give him success... Who wouldn't do that?

As far as compensation though, we would like the best we can get.. Who wouldn't? Pick three is way overs in a trade, but we aren't trading him and under the current system we'd like the best we can get...

I agree that compensation needs to be looked at, because as it stands... Regardless of any pick we get... This club is looking at a future of being farmed until the end of it's days... An endless supply of draft picks is really just opening the door, for successful clubs to pick clean the talent from non successful clubs.. In a continued cycle of farming...

Remove this Banner Ad

James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back