Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Legit looked like a premiership contender under Hird haven't been close since.

If Hird was an assitant at another club after he left Essendon then I wouldn't have issue with him coming back.

Was it Parkin who got sacked by Calrton and then they rehired him and won the flag in 95?

Looked like a premiership contender cos you were sauced up. Or its just coincidence that the one time in the last 17 years that you've looked better than ordinary, was also coincidentally the season you for suspended for anti doping violations.

If Hird was an assitant at another club after he left Essendon then I wouldn't have issue with him coming back.

Was it Parkin who got sacked by Calrton and then they rehired him and won the flag in 95?
Everything else aside, yeah this. He’s been an assistant for all of about 6 months right?

I have no issue with it.
If he is the best for the job.
I am no Bomber so have no idea how the supporters feel.
I would think, as an outsider, that the pressure that will be brought to bare from the media if he is successful is going to be intolerable, to the point of being crippling.
No chance on the planet he could "cheat" again if he gets the gig.

Looked like a premiership contender cos you were sauced up. Or its just coincidence that the one time i the last 17 years that you've looked better than ordinary, was also coincidentally the season you for suspended for anti doping violations.
Yet the afl cleared them of using peds

And wada is a corrupt organaztion they allowed a Russian team compete in the Olympics even tho there was evidence of ped use.

Yet the afl cleared them of using peds

And wada is a corrupt organaztion they allowed a Russian team compete in the Olympics even tho there was evidence of ped use.

Lol you can't seriously believe this shit can you?

Parkin had also won 3 premierships at two different clubs before he came back in the 90's.

poisoned chalice taking the gig anyway. Probably better for it to be Hird. Any other person who isn’t a favourite son won’t get any support and likely to be knifed.
Knight,Worsfold,Rutten were crap coaches.

One thing they all had in comon is they were soft on the players and sat in the coaches box like a deer in the head lights and did nothing to swing momentum back our way during games.

We need a coach who's tough and that won't accpet crap performances and lazy players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knight,Worsfold,Rutten were crap coaches.

One thing they all had in comon is they were soft on the players and sat in the coaches box like a deer in the head lights and did nothing to swing momentum back our way during games.

We need a coach who's tough and that won't accpet crap performances and lazy players

The problem tho is Hird would be arriving with an enormous amount of baggage and whilst we are only speculating I doubt he’ll be a hard arse but rather would be investing a fair bit of time trying to build and establish trust which I reckon would lead him to being soft on the group.

The problem tho is Hird would be arriving with an enormous amount of baggage and whilst we are only speculating I doubt he’ll be a hard arse but rather would be investing a fair bit of time trying to build and establish trust which I reckon would lead him to being soft on the group.
Spewing that Ross said no he's exaclty what we needed.

Brad Scott would be next on my list hope he applies

Gws lads seem to like him.

In all seriousness i think he's a good relationship builder.
Whether he has the nous to coach remains to be seen

He may make a good coach. He may make a good assistant coach.

He was clearly close with his players prior to the PED saga - but being close to players isn't enough. It's a start, but there's a lot more to it than that.

For mine, there are so many unknowns about Hird as a coach.

Can he coach without a renowned, brilliant tactician and experienced coach in the box with him?

Can he build relationships with players and coaches that he doesn't already know?

Can he allow himself to be surrounded by anything other than Yes Men?

Can he coach a team that hasn't been on PEDs?

As a coach, with the above scenarios in place, he showed himself to be an Ok coach. Nothing more. This time around, if he gets the job, I'd imagine none of those things will be in place for him.

So it's a huge unknown if he can go from Ok coach to great coach, without the key components that worked in his favour last time.

And does he actually want to coach a team? Or just get some form of redemption for himself?

I find it extraordinary that he could be considered the best available for that role.

The other, most important part is that it's his crew that have wrecked the club. Sheedy, Dodoro and the coteries that all support Hird arethe problem. So the biggest issue the club has will not only not be addressed - it will be magnified.

It's a very, very strange situation.

When Parkin returned as Carlton coach he was already a three time premiership coach, had been senior coach at three clubs and had an outstanding reputation in the game.
His experience, results and reputation made his return entirely justifiable and appropriate.
There is nothing in Hird’s record as coach to justify his return.

Yep. Some players are “ride or die” for Hird and others are “rather die” than Hird. It’s going to be difficult to fix that divide.

When Parkin returned as Carlton coach he was already a three time premiership coach, had been senior coach at three clubs and had an outstanding reputation in the game.
His experience, results and reputation made his return entirely justifiable and appropriate.
There is nothing in Hird’s record as coach to justify his return.
Wasnt comparing him with Hird

Parkin was a three time premiership coach when we re hired him. Hird has literally done nothing as a coach.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This backing image was just sent to Bombers members in a survey email... get ready!! hahahaahahahhahaahah

View attachment 1509410
Am I the only one completely bewildered they could possibly fathom to use an image of not only a sacked coach… but someone who played their last game in 2007.

It just shows how backwards this organisation is.

Essendon fans are being groomed for his return and it’s hilarious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Back