Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one completely bewildered they could possibly fathom to use an image of not only a sacked coach… but someone who played their last game in 2007.

It just shows how backwards this organisation is.

Essendon fans are being groomed for his return and it’s hilarious.
Majority of essendon fans dont want him back it's only the die hards

Don't be surpised if membership goes down with Hird back

Few key points to make about the re hiring of James Hird as coach again for Essendon FC to consider;

(1) He nay not succeed

You know what, I am more than happy to let the next coach slide and fail, sure be nice if he succeeds but if the next one fails then the club needs to blow itself up and start again. Clean the board right out and start again. Anyone from pre 2020 needs to be gone and re set this club.

(2) James Hird will divide the AFL public

Who gives a shit what people think, we could hire Adam Yze and people will hate us, we can hire Ken Hinkley and people will hate us, we could hire Yarrawonga's U18 coach and the footballing public will hate us. What difference will James Hird's name do to this opinion?

(3) It really is a win:win situation

If he wins and makes us competitive again, great. If he fails and we lose considerably, so be it we blow the joint up as per #1 here. It really is a win:win situation providing we do our due diligence and we ensure we think he is the best candidate for us not just 'because'.

(4) The melts

Would be mightily glorious if we did come good on the back of Hird as coach. I would be an insufferable campaigner like Richmond supporters became after 2017.

Now sure, he may not end up being a great coach, he may not end up being the messiah some hope for, he may not end up going anywhere in this venture but for Essendon Football Club, I really couldn't give two shits what the majority of non Essendon supporters actually think.

Wow, an elimination final win against a fellow middle of the road battler. Dream big, fella.

The 17 years of failure has really done a number on the Essendon psyche.
apparently only elimination finals and qualifying finals are what matters on BigFooty, or so I'm told anyways

Essendon becoming the Knicks of the AFL. Bringing Hird back would be just about the worst coaching decision in the history of the AFL. If Essendon got off to a bad start next season, the supporter base and media would be rabid.
any different to the current climate?

Majority of essendon fans dont want him back it's only the die hards

Don't be surpised if membership goes down with Hird back
I understand that Facebook is not a true reflection of an entire membership base, nor is bigfooty to be honest.

But on one Essendon supporters FB page announcing the Hird news from the other day, there have been 3k post reactions. 2,900 of those reactions have either been :thumbsu: or ❤️

I’d say, quite confidently, that the majority of Essendon fans really do want this very much.

Yep,
It’d be a death sentence for anyone on the outside.
The club needs to be razed to the ground.
No good can come from it …
Typical Carlton, straight to the arson option.

I understand that Facebook is not a true reflection of an entire membership base, nor is bigfooty to be honest.

But on one Essendon supporters FB page announcing the Hird news from the other day, there have been 3k post reactions. 2,900 of those reactions have either been :thumbsu: or ❤️

I’d say, quite confidently, that the majority of Essendon fans really do want this very much.
Well I don't but that could all change if we come good under him lols

Essendon need to realise most players on their list never grew up barracking for Essendon and don’t worship this bloke as a god like their fans do.
He’s the Essendon Trump. A hardcore section of the “base” can’t get past him, and the rest of the planet scratches their heads and says “Really????”.

If golden boy gets the gig, for what ? the third attempt . You would have to seriously question the mental health of the decision makers.
jack nicholson art GIF by hoppip

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recent and older evidence suggests Hird needs protecting from himself to some degree. From danky drugs and never-ending boners to door-to-door repairmen, his better judgement has failed him with unfortunate results. Had this not been a person driven nearly to suicide trying to cope with that saga, I'd feel a lot more indifferent towards him angling at a position he at least outwardly appears woefully unprepared for.
How would this man cope with crowd attention? What would he do if the Bomber fans turn on him if Essendon struggles next year? Is this the best thing for Hird to do? I would suggest that if he views this as a course of redemption rather than a good career move, then he's already not in a good place.

Few key points to make about the re hiring of James Hird as coach again for Essendon FC to consider;

(1) He nay not succeed

You know what, I am more than happy to let the next coach slide and fail, sure be nice if he succeeds but if the next one fails then the club needs to blow itself up and start again. Clean the board right out and start again. Anyone from pre 2020 needs to be gone and re set this club.

Who gives a s**t what people think, we could hire Adam Yze and people will hate us, we can hire Ken Hinkley and people will hate us, we could hire Yarrawonga's U18 coach and the footballing public will hate us. What difference will James Hird's name do to this opinion?

If he wins and makes us competitive again, great. If he fails and we lose considerably, so be it we blow the joint up as per #1 here. It really is a win:win situation providing we do our due diligence and we ensure we think he is the best candidate for us not just 'because'.

(4) The melts

Would be mightily glorious if we did come good on the back of Hird as coach. I would be an insufferable campaigner like Richmond supporters became after 2017.

Now sure, he may not end up being a great coach, he may not end up being the messiah some hope for, he may not end up going anywhere in this venture but for Essendon Football Club, I really couldn't give two shits what the majority of non Essendon supporters actually think.
Youre hiring an ex employee who was suicidal due to working the same job.

You’re hiring a person 17 other clubs wouldn’t dream of putting in the same role.

He’s not someone you’d hire despite his playing history. Regardless of what happens the decision making is just bizarre.

Essendon is run by people who think they deserve a PR victory for some inexplicable reason.

EDIT: why did I respond to this - you could literally make the same comments about a deranged hobo, or Ted Lasso

Last edited:

You’re hiring a person 17 other clubs wouldn’t dream of putting in the same role.

He’s not someone you’d hire despite his playing history. Regardless of what happens the decision making is just bizarre.

Essendon is run by people who think they deserve a PR victory for some inexplicable reason.
Listening to the Howie games I honestly dont think he should coach again. Lost his spark.

Thats not that many
How many on the page to begin with?

EDIT: why did I respond to this - you could literally make the same comments about a deranged hobo, or Ted Lasso
incorrect on two fronts but that's ok,

Why the fk would you want hird to coach?? He was shite when he did coach, since then he got disgraced from the game for a club injecting scandal and has been out of coaching for a very long time now.

You would be better off going after malthouse than hird under the same logic… at least malthouse proved he was a good coach.

(1) He nay not succeed

Who gives a s**t what people think, we could hire Adam Yze and people will hate us, we can hire Ken Hinkley and people will hate us, we could hire Yarrawonga's U18 coach and the footballing public will hate us. What difference will James Hird's name do to this opinion?

(4) The melts

You miss something important

His own players will think he is a dickhead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Back