James Hird to coach Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Find it amazing that he can come out every week on the Couch and anything else and say he has no interest and will not being doing it in the next few years and now is going to coach

Massive respect for Hird but can not believe a thing he says and all this and i now believe the rumours that he had the coaching job and then backed out last minute because of the Knights fiasco

he obviously struggles with integrity -interesting journey ahead for him

james hird was a long, long way from the most naturally gifted players i've seen in my lifetime.....yet his football smarts made him one of the best of our generation.

additionally he is unquestionably one of the best leaders of men in a long time, and clearly is prepared to sacrifice financially to lead the club he loves,

just because voss wasn't smart enough to get williams laidley or bomber as an assistant/mentor, and just because voss for some reason didn't after all this time understand what makes up the fabric of a club and traded good people for ********s, doesn't mean that hird isn't the man for essendon....in fact, thank you voss for showing us just how not to do it.

hird, richardson, o'donnel, sounds like goodwin, and any one of williams, laidley or bomber is a very, very, very promising coaching staff for essendon after the last 6 or 7 years.

I'm sure the Bombers will spend the money to get a quality coaching panel around him.

This seems to have come out of the blue in relative terms though; Hird has been doing other things and his name bobbed up six weeks ago, with strenous and numerous denials.

Is this just a flight of fancy for Hird?

That's going to happen you would think.

I expect there's a good chance Laidley will wind up as his right hand man.

As long as we get in one or both of Williams and Laidley I think it will work as they should make up for any experience he lacks.

He really loves the club, James. Big call on his part. Not expecting a miracle but I think we're going in the right direction now after a very mediocre time of it in the last few years.

Knights 5
Ratten 1
:thumbsu::D
Hahaha weak little Carlton Squib

The only time you beat us in 3 years and you think you're all it. Go look at who wasn't playing in that game and you might find the ony time you won was againt the Bendigo Bombers

A lot of people here seem to be forgetting that throughout his career Hird spent a lot of time injured sitting with Sheeds in the coaches box and would have well and truly learned from that.

seems to be alot of hawthorn supporters upset with the decision.

Not upset, but surprised by the timeline.

From a non-Essendon point of view, ie. no inside knowledge, this looks like Hird was the only candidate, which makes the process somewhat dubious.

I'm sure Dean Laidley will bob up as an assistant. Good match day coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

james hird was a long, long way from the most naturally gifted players i've seen in my lifetime.....yet his football smarts made him one of the best of our generation.

additionally he is unquestionably one of the best leaders of men in a long time, and clearly is prepared to sacrifice financially to lead the club he loves,

Can he communicate effectively with players who have barely an ounce of his natural ability? Can he teach? Doesn't strike me as the type of person who suffers fools gladly.

Lost a lot of respect for Hird during this whole saga.

Obviously his word means nothing when he's in the process of knifing someone in the back.

Yep.

The man's words and his actions do not add up. Let's not forget that a core of the players supported Knights against the destabilisation by Hird, Lloyd and their crew.

I don't rate Knights at all and he had to go, but Hird will be taking over a divided group - and they'll all be well aware of the blood on his hands.

Can he communicate effectively with players who have barely an ounce of his natural ability? Can he teach? Doesn't strike me as the type of person who suffers fools gladly.

I think James has most things covered but it's this I'm a little concerned about.

Maybe he'll just cull the dumb players off the list and only recruit smart players. I'd be happy enough with that. :D

James Hird, the AFLs first clayton coach.
You really have to wonder how committed he can be.

Is he walking away from all his business interests?

Including this grand scheme for a World Cup of tennis or whatever it is?

Pfft. Who cares?

Football is a ruthless industry. Knights, GTFO. Hird comes in.

As long as he makes the tough decisions, ala Hardwick, he'll be fine. Essendon need a lot of work in the engine room.

And in the coaches box.

spot on

Yeah nah

Essendon fans - how do you feel about the appointment of a guy who denied he was interested/wasn't interested for most of the year?

What makes you think he'll be a good coach? If indeed that's what you think.

I'd be very nervous if I barracked for Essendon. It would be like Dermott coaching us next year. Has Hird coached at any level? Ever?

Also - out of curiosity - who has made (is going to make) the decision on Hird? Is it a different selection committee to the Knights brigade?

1) With the media circus that ensued from the slightest indication that he wanted to do it one day in the future, don't think he was in a position to claim his interest in the role. I'd have some concern if he'd claimed he was outright not going to do it, but he never did. The guy's just walked away from a pretty amazing lifestyle to do this, I've got no doubt of his motivation for the role.

2) He's clearly got a wealth of knowledge of the game, no one could doubt that, and he was always lauded for his ability to communicate as a captain. Those two qualities are pretty key indicators of a successful coach. In fact, it was the perceived lack of communicative skill of our previous coach that played a key role in his sacking. Another positive is his work ethic. The guy absolutely lived and breathed footy as a player, to the extent that he went for morning runs on footy trips. He'll leave nothing to chance in his preparation. Who knows if he will be a good coach, but he stands in better stead than most.

3) It's nothing like Dermott coaching Hawthorn. Brereton and Hird are poles apart as people. Has he coached before? No. It's just as speculative whether that'll be a factor though.

4) The decision's been made by Ian Robson, Paul Hamilton and Scott Lucas. We used an external consultancy agency to select Knights which I believe was headed by Andrew McKay.

Time will tell if it's a successful move, it won't be a metter of immediate results, with the age and experience of our list it'll be a matter of where we're sitting in 2 or 3 years.

seemed to do ok for a season or eight as captain.....just ask a few of the young fellas that played under him if you really want an honest response,,,gone ok in the business world after footy from what i hear too.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Hird to coach Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back