James Hird to coach Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Return of the King.

When Buckley wants a coaching gig somebody else already has, he 'shops' himself around to other clubs, allows them to bid ridiculous amounts for him, then when he seemingly looks like signing the dotted line, waits for the club he actually wants to coach to give the incumbent one final season before handing over the list, lest they forever lose their champion. Very smart.

Contrast with when Hird wants a coaching gig somebody else already has...

Hird will not win a flag as coach before Buckley does. Bookmark it.

As long as we get in one or both of Williams and Laidley I think it will work as they should make up for any experience he lacks.

He really loves the club, James. Big call on his part. Not expecting a miracle but I think we're going in the right direction now after a very mediocre time of it in the last few years.

Why not get Choco or Laidley in the first place. Odds are it's liable to be more successful.

I'm sure the Bombers will spend the money to get a quality coaching panel around him.

This seems to have come out of the blue in relative terms though; Hird has been doing other things and his name bobbed up six weeks ago, with strenous and numerous denials.

Is this just a flight of fancy for Hird?

His name has been up since April on Essendon sites.

1) With the media circus that ensued from the slightest indication that he wanted to do it one day in the future, don't think he was in a position to claim his interest in the role. I'd have some concern if he'd claimed he was outright not going to do it, but he never did. The guy's just walked away from a pretty amazing lifestyle to do this, I've got no doubt of his motivation for the role.
I guess that's the glass half full view. From an outsider's view the whole thing just smells a little off.
2) He's clearly got a wealth of knowledge of the game, no one could doubt that, and he was always lauded for his ability to communicate as a captain. Those two qualities are pretty key indicators of a successful coach. In fact, it was the perceived lack of communicative skill of our previous coach that played a key role in his sacking. Another positive is his work ethic. The guy absolutely lived and breathed footy as a player, to the extent that he went for morning runs on footy trips. He'll leave nothing to chance in his preparation. Who knows if he will be a good coach, but he stands in better stead than most.
I've actually heard of Essendon people describing Knights as one of the best communicators ever heard. But yeah, I take it that Hird's got a knowledge of the game, but he hasn't been in the game for a few years. So perhaps his knowledge is a bit outdated?
3) It's nothing like Dermott coaching Hawthorn. Brereton and Hird are poles apart as people. Has he coached before? No. It's just as speculative whether that'll be a factor though.
Yeah okay, take your point about Hird being a better leader etc.

Anyway, good luck with it all. With any luck he can bring a bit of innovation to a game that is threatening to go ultra-defensive again.

at least the saints could sack him when he was shit

hird will be at the bombers for the next 20 years.

worst appointment since terry wallace

You should be thanking Tim Watson because if it wasn't for his years at St Kilda you wouldn't have Jason Blake, Nick Riewoldt or Kosi. Im pretty sure he drafted Lenny Hayes aswell.

Lets not forget that St Kilda also sacked Malcolm Blight the next year. I think you will find Darrell Baldock and Jezza also have a similar win/loss ratio to Tim Watson. Whats the common denominator? St Kilda.

An appointment for the masses.

Assuming he has the Laidley/ Choco support he'll go ok. Sounds different to the Buckley/MM arrangement already.

First thing he needs to do is launch into trade week. Cut some of those downhill skiing outside mids, and inherit some grunt in the middle.

Let's see if he has the ballz to make the tough calls. We're all about to find out..

Then he has went to Richmond, took over a young side and the side has shown remarkable improvement since he has been in charge.

2009 - 5 wins, 73%, 15th

2010 - 6 wins, 72%, 15th

What a remarkable improvement!

I'm surpsired Hardwick didn't win coach of the year. :eek::rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First thing he needs to do is launch into trade week. Cut some of those downhill skiing outside mids, and inherit some grunt in the middle.

Let's see if he has the ballz to make the tough calls. We're all about to find out..

You do realise your club is chaising one of those dowhhill skiers very hard?

Will be interesting to see how he goes and i wish him all the best. Hird was a champion footballer and wether or not this translates into the coaches box is yet to be seen but good on him for having a go. :thumbsu:

I cant see how anyone could not like Hird he is a great figure of our game and comes across as extremely educated regarding match ups and game plans from the media work i have seen him in.

Good luck to him i say and i have a feeling he will be very good in this role.

Not sure what to think. Whether or not this will be tim watson mk2.

Can't quite image hid getting dumped in a flame of angst if the dons continue to perform poorly.

Leigh Matthews, Kevin Sheedy.

But no, Hird is certain to be the next Voss, Watson.

Completly different back in the 1980's to the year 2010, game is so much different now.

It certainly was suggested!!!!!!!!!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27505646-23211,00.html?from=public_rss

No objective process for this appt....

Wow I just noticed Richmond also had a draw in 2009 and kicked more points, and had a better %.

So this massive improvement we are refering to is all down to an extra 2 points.

Hardwick has done SFA, mate. Atleast wait till they actually start winning more games, kicking more goals or working their way up the ladder before you start bragging about him. :eek:

Always seems a bit of a fence sitter on, On The Couch, even over whether he would coach or not, wonder whether he will have the balls to do the hard things that are required at Essendon.

Still reminds me of the Tigers as our fall started, lost a long term successful coach in Hafey, dumped some others looking for instant success to placate the supporters, then we tried a few ex champs although they were untried as coaches and that really set the pattern for our next 20+ years of failure.

Essendon didn't want to hear the truth when they knocked Dimma back for the job, looks like nothing has changed.

Completly different back in the 1980's to the year 2010, game is so much different now.

Yeah you're right. Coaches are better equipped, more evolved, have better resources at their disposal and a better support network.

Hird might be shit or he might be a good coach. Any comparison to Voss, Watson or even Sheedy & Matthews, is ridiculous and has no bearing on how Hird will perform.

Congratulations to Essendon and James Hird. Gutsy appointment in many ways, given his lack of experience.

No doubt there is risk in this appointment, but if they appoint an experienced mentor or Director of Coaching and/or some good, experienced assistants, I reckon the risk is being appropriately managed. Hirdy's a smart bloke, has leadership and management experience and won't be overawed by the task. Unlike his predecessor, he won't have people white-anting him either.

There is little doubt that Hird will, initially at least, bring a certain amount of hope, pride and self belief back to Windy Hill. No doubt it will help at the turnstiles and I hope for their sake, it works out.

I reckon the political machinations will have tarnished his reputation a bit, but if he's successful, all will be forgotten. Apparently even Hall and Baker are heroes, so Hird will be okay.

I've actually heard of Essendon people describing Knights as one of the best communicators ever heard. But yeah, I take it that Hird's got a knowledge of the game, but he hasn't been in the game for a few years. So perhaps his knowledge is a bit outdated?

From what I understand, which I'll admit is minimal, there was a feeling that a lot of players were left in the dark as to where they stood in the pecking order, what their roles were and what they needed to improve. Knights was seen to have failed in delivering a consistent clear message. That could of course be a long way off the mark. Regardless, that's a different debate.

Taking the glass half full approach again, maybe a few years out of the game could do him a lot of good. It's not as though he's been too far from the game with his role in the media and that role has probably allowed him to watch a lot more games with a neutral viewpoint as opposed to an Essendon focus. Furthermore, he'll be surrounded by people with a very up to date knowledge of the game - he'll have great support.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Hird to coach Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back