James Hird's Supposed Lack Of Knowledge?

Remove this Banner Ad

At minimum I reckon Hirdy had to know about the consent forms and the 'borderline' stuff Reimers was talking about. I'm with Finnis, that's pretty bad in and of itself.

Not to mention the players nipping into Danks office for a quick jab in the stomach. Surely that is not normal practice at footy clubs?

I would think that the sports science guys would be in close consultation with the coaches so they could work together on the players training regime and how to manage them in games.

If there was something seedy going on then either Hird knew or Hird was lied to. Even if lied to though you would hope he would still know about the injections and that players were signing forms (which should ring alarm bells) etc. Obviously coaches need to trust their staff but there is only so much ignorance that can be forgiven.

Except this is an open investigation voluntarily pushed by the club to involve the AFL and ASADA in finding out whether anything wrong has actually happened or not.

NOTHING HAS HAPPENED.

Unless anything actually pertains to otherwise, this entire question is complete horse-shit.

If this were happening to Richmond you'd be on it like white on rice.

But, I fail to see how Hird himself could be in the gun for anything.

You've made some very reasonable calls in this thread...but really?

I've been as much of a smart arse as the next bloke, however, the fact remains that we all know shit. Who knows where this merry-go-round will end, or if it will even drop off the cliff? It may pull up and turn out to be the closest of close shaves in the history of mankind.

All in all, I reckon it's pretty safe to say that Hird, Thompson, Robinson, etc etc, they are all in the gun. Whatever has happened, it stinks to high-heaven and heads simply need to roll, whoever that may be.

I think it's funny the way James Hird has cultivated a media persona where everyone thinks he is a saint. Why is it that people think he can do no wrong? Is it his boyish, angelic face and flowing gold locks of hair? Is it because of his heroic deeds on the football field, the sticky hands and the deadly left boot?

If Hirdy did not know all about these injections, I would question his competence as Essendon's head coach. Of course he knew. This was a systemic program that involved all players signing waivers. This wasn't some dodgy dude giving pills to a couple of players behind the bowls club.

Everyone at Essendon is running for cover. They're playing musical chairs and OOPS- the music has stopped and Dean Robinson and Stephen Dank have been left hanging...

Nobody is denying consent forms were signed.

The problem is, the club is not sure if Dank/Robinson administered anything else.

As for a systemic program for illegal doping by the club, just LOL.

After reading this thread I think Hird should get serious prison time. Also, ASADA could save themselves a lot of time and money by simply reading it.

It starts at the top. If they're guilty, Hird steps down, simple as that.

If he is unaware, he has failed in his duties as a head coach. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out this entire process was all sorts of wrong, surely his gut wouldn't churned over the risks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspicious I'd say, but I simply can't believe that Essendon would be guilty of anything other than extreme naivety in this situation. Knowing the penalties and what this would do to an entire club would be far too bigger a risk to take. My reading is that they were seduced by someone promising results that were too good to be true.

Important to remember that we still have no idea if anything illegal has occurred, but hard not to think, given the stories that have floated, that there is not at least some substance. Pardon the pun.
But as we all know ignorance or naiievty will be NO defence

I think they should look deeper into Hirds coaching career. Rumour is he had the Prahran U9's on...............................................CORDIAL!
And not just any cordial.......RED cordial. We all know what effect it has on children.

And not just any cordial.......RED cordial. We all know what effect it has on children.
And it it synthetically colored and flavored as well as being imported. I believe McChin's boy plays in the same team. This is obviously what ASADA are concerned about - multiple AFL clubs linked to stimulants

If Hird does not know what is going on with his players right in front of his own nose, then that just shows how incompetent he is as a coach. What does he do all day? Play Angry Birds on his iPhone?

Mathew Primus hits the nail on the head here:
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-07/coaches-know-whats-happening-primus

Coaches should know what is happening to their players - especially what is going into their bodies. I can't believe that Hirdy would be THAT negligent, especially since they were made to sign waivers in front of him and taken off-site to be injected.

Either way, Hird is responsible

I'm sure Hird thought he knew - just like the players think they knew. If you discover someone has done a shite into your hamburger patty are you irresponsible for not having watched them prepare the patty and not run individual tests on the burger before taking a bite? You were just told it was a hamburger and now you have a big mouthful of shit. Your fault?

I'm sure Hird thought he knew - just like the players think they knew. If you discover someone has done a shite into your hamburger patty are you irresponsible for not having watched them prepare the patty and not run individual tests on the burger before taking a bite? You were just told it was a hamburger and now you have a big mouthful of shit. Your fault?
Bad analogy.

Hird is the manager of the restaurant in that example, not the customer.

Bad analogy.

Hird is the manager of the restaurant in that example, not the customer.
Yeah that's more the players. But should the manager resign in this instance or should fines be paid, the culprit charged and....

Essendon have ****ed their poster boy over.

First they bring him in to restore hope for success for bombers fans and that worked more memberships more money, now they will destroy his image which is clean before all this.

Bring in revolutionary fitness program bring in hire bring in bomber Thompson fans would expect success, if the bombers attended a flag last year we would all be fooled that it was due to the changes of the staff and fitness program.

If you discover someone has done a shite into your hamburger patty are you irresponsible for not having watched them prepare the patty and not run individual tests on the burger before taking a bite? You were just told it was a hamburger and now you have a big mouthful of shit.
Sounds like you're talking shit

Remove this Banner Ad

James Hird's Supposed Lack Of Knowledge?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back