Bumped James Kelly in the club song

Remove this Banner Ad

toppstar

Debutant
Jul 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
About how your players treat singing the song each week, in particular this week? Its just got me thinking after watching my team win today for the 1st time and how they sang the song.

Obviously it's pretty hard for them to be motivated each week because you always win and the tigers haven't won a game but i just find what James Kelly did today and some others in the past really distasteful.

Along with the jumper, the team song is probably the two most sacred things that a club has and it shouldn't be disrespected no matter how well your teams going?

Anyway, what are your thoughts as geelong supporters?

Re: I'm interested to know your thoughts...

Couldn't care in the slightest whether they have a joke around, i find it funny. Wouldn't you get bored having to sing the same song virtually every week :D

You would and i could understand that. Well not totally given i follow the tigers lol. But it almost seems like its a chore in some ways when i watch the geelong players sing it. Not saying you've gotta belt it out each week but if you're gunna muck around then why bother singing it at all, there's no rule saying you have to sing the song

I can't remember the last specific time it happened, but I would put money on it that Geelong absolutely belted out the song when they had their first win after a string of horrific losses. The pissfarting around during the song is more a product of the media attention than it is lack of respect for club and creed. It's not like they're standing in a circle pulling cones (Stokes excepted*)

(*Just kidding Stokesy, you know I love you ;))

Its been going on for two years. At one stage half the players were in on it and from memory Bomber cracked down on it and we don't see it as much anymore. I dont think its because they are bored, and I dont think its because they dont take it seriously. They are 100% committed and are 100% professional on the field and thats all that matters. They were not being disrespectful to the club, the fans, the AFL or Melbourne. Obviously an in joke and the main offenders and jokers seem to be Enright, Kelly and Hawkins.

As I said, as long as they are 100% commited on the field I am not fussed. If I saw them joking around and letting their gaurd down on the field I would be worried. I believe the club is too professional for that though. So I am fine with it.

They were pulling faces last year as well. Didn't stop them winning games and ultimately a premiership. They're obviously still taking the game seriously enough and Kelly has been in great form so I could care less.

Of course, you're going to belt the song out if you haven't sung it in a while, but we had just come off yet another 50+ point win. It's obviously an in joke and not a reflection of the players attitude towards the game. Still, I suspect Bomber will make sure to weed it out simply for the fact that it draws pretty bad media attention and the last thing we want to be billed as is arrogant.

Who cares. Kelly could strip naked and run around dry humping everyone for all I care. Actually that would be hilarious. In any case, as long as they act like professionals on the field then yeah, shouldnt make a difference.

Oh for goodness sake Kelly was just having fun and caught at a moment when he was having a laugh with Ablett, might even have been suggesting that Gary stay. And Gary wasn't looking embarrassed, as one commentator suggested.
As a Cats supporter I am more worried about the supporters, they may as well have been at a Sunday School picnic yesterday. Couldn't get a cheer, a clap or a barrack from many of them where I was sitting, good people that they are.
Even when Pods marked and kicked that last amazing goal, the one that swung back, they were silent. Then not even a smile on their face as they left .
And they didn't sing the song either.

I can't remember the last specific time it happened, but I would put money on it that Geelong absolutely belted out the song when they had their first win after a string of horrific losses.

they did after a win at SS in 2006 [?].They even sang the long version,which only a few players [i.e King,Ling,Scarlett,Harley] knew

they did after a win at SS in 2006 [?].They even sang the long version,which only a few players [i.e King,Ling,Scarlett,Harley] knew
They sang the long version against Carlton in 2004 they did it. Graham was the main leader in the singing.

I don't remember any others.

talk about a media beat up...the lads are always mucking about in the song. Nothing new there, and Kelly is known as a joker around the club. A bit of harmless fun that some people with no life are reading way too much into.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oddly Balme talked about singing the song on SEN on Friday - his view (and mine for that matter) is that it's something that's done for the media. It's generally an obligation rather than something that is spontaneous.

Frankly I'd be happier if it was abandoned all together and only happened when the players really felt like doing it. Won't happen though.

Arrogant I don't like it. There are lots of things that footballers do the are chores. Im sure being interviewed on Cats TV , doing mundane training , putting up with idiots in the public etc would all be tiresome. Don't like it , then go and play for South Barwon.

I understand it , and in the big scheme of things its meaningless but its disrespecting the situation they find themselves in. it's disrespecting our club and the club they have just beaten. I don't care if it they are sick of singing it , if they find it a task that they would rather not be doing. Stiff.

I don't expect it to be sung with the same emphasis each week but don't act like that in front of the camera after a win.

I'm not worried about it too much to be honest, yes it probably was a stupid thing to do and Kelly knows it, but they have won so many games in the last 4 years that it would be hard to keep motivated about singing the song, they tend to joke around when they sing it now too, Scarlett last week now Kelly this week.

P.S: What do you think about little Stoke's ?? he hasn't sung the song once since he came back ??

Oh for goodness sake Kelly was just having fun and caught at a moment when he was having a laugh with Ablett, might even have been suggesting that Gary stay. And Gary wasn't looking embarrassed, as one commentator suggested.
As a Cats supporter I am more worried about the supporters, they may as well have been at a Sunday School picnic yesterday. Couldn't get a cheer, a clap or a barrack from many of them where I was sitting, good people that they are.
Even when Pods marked and kicked that last amazing goal, the one that swung back, they were silent. Then not even a smile on their face as they left .

I know you were at the game as you have said, but watching the game on T.V yesterday, i could hear a lot of noise from Skilled stadium, especially when Pods kicked that amazing goal.

They sang the long version against Carlton in 2004 they did it. Graham was the main leader in the singing.

I don't remember any others.

You might be right as I think Sando was one the only few who knew it and I think he retired before 2006

Watching stokes not singing the song, and having his head down...well honestly I think I respect him a lot more. He obviously feels within himself that he hasn't earned it yet and that shows a real desire to make amends.

I felt a little sorry for him after being hung out to dry and he's got even more of my sympathy now becasue he's obviously still down on himself. Poor thing.

Kel is the jokester around the club so it should be seen in that context. However I can understand why someone from the Tiges would see it in another manner when juxtaposed with the singing if their club song - as some media have done. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a tap on the shoulder this week and we don't see a repeat.

As a whole i think the Cats have been quite humble and modest about their success over the last few years.

The problem with something like this is that it gives those nay-sayers and Geelong haters (yes, i am mainly talking about u Lloyd and i am tipping Mr Walls will jump on as well) that are looking for any sign of arrogance/complacency/weakness a chance to jump on their high horse and try to show Geelong in a bad light.

For this reason I would rather them not do the joke thing to this extent - pulling faces is one thing but i think this one gives those ppl a chance to jump.

I'll give you a tip-the one thing the crowd does WHENEVER Pods gets the ball, and/or goes off for a rest, is make lots of noise and smile. :thumbsu::D

It's become such a TV and media thing too. I think the media have built it up to be more than it ever was

I loved how the players were doing silly faces during the song last year but they can't do that anymore otherwise grouchy faced old media-boofheads like Grant Thomas will tut-tut

The second i saw it i knew the Helen Lovejoy's of the world would be out in force (and we've yet to hear from the biggest one of all, Mike Sheahan).

Whilst it's totally harmless, it isn't a good look and knowing how fiercely our club protects it's well earned tag of humble champions i don't think we'll see it again this year.

As for those suggesting it shows we're arrogant, it's merely a combination of wishful thinking and a desperate desire to find fault with us on their behalf.

Utterly disgraceful behaviour.

Appropriate punishment should be instituted--I suggest the team not have the privilege of TV cameras in the rooms after we win a game. Who knows what other horrendous activities might get seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped James Kelly in the club song

Remove this Banner Ad

Back