Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

The loss to Saints sort of counteracts the unexpected win against Freo. Disappointing? Yes. But 2024 has thrown up results like this every week
Its not so much the result, if I didn't watch either match I would be thinking the same in that we were expecting a win and a loss, its the manner of the loss V St Kilda thats infuriating, along with some of the team selections.

Yes , I've been banging on about this for some time - you can't play Rohan and Henry in the same side.
They are both stay at home forwards , low possession players who can hit the scoreboard - you can't play two of these types , it's counter productive and deprives you of a player who can play between the arcs.
Rohan can be better defensively but Henry slightly better offensively - take your pick depending on the opposition.

I'd have Henry on a huge running program this preseason - give him the Dempsey treatment.
I think he can contribute up the ground provided he gets rock hard fit.
If he plays more mobile rather than stay at home his marking becomes a significant asset once again.
He has huge potential provided he commits fully to getting fit and adding to his game.
What you are saying is OHenry is soft. I agree. He needs to seriously address his shortcomings over the summer. I really don't see a place for his no pressure game in the finals.

COS yes.
Clark questionable for mine.
Interesting. My view is the opposite. I am confident of Clark playing 200 games. Do not have the same confidence in COS,. He will get games because our need for a tall defender will be so dire but not sold on what quality and if he gets beyond 50-70 games. Maybe if he can turn unto a forward or swingman.

Yes , I've been banging on about this for some time - you can't play Rohan and Henry in the same side.
They are both stay at home forwards , low possession players who can hit the scoreboard - you can't play two of these types , it's counter productive and deprives you of a player who can play between the arcs.
Rohan can be better defensively but Henry slightly better offensively - take your pick depending on the opposition.

I'd have Henry on a huge running program this preseason - give him the Dempsey treatment.
I think he can contribute up the ground provided he gets rock hard fit.
If he plays more mobile rather than stay at home his marking becomes a significant asset once again.
He has huge potential provided he commits fully to getting fit and adding to his game.
From what I understand Dempsey took on the running program off his own initiative. Does Ollie have the same desire to be the best he can be?

It's interesting that the two players elevated from the VFL, Mannah snd Humphries, are now amongst our best and most consistent players. They were solid in the VFL but weren't standing out. Since being elevated both have risen to the occasion. We have more talent in the Magoos just like them but we won't see them playing this year. We keep giving chances to repeat failures in Bews, Parfitt and Knevitt because the MC lacks initiative. Oh yeah...IN MC WE TRUST.

What you are saying is OHenry is soft. I agree. He needs to seriously address his shortcomings over the summer. I really don't see a place for his no pressure game in the finals.
I wouldn't call him soft FK - he took some punishment over here V Freo and hung in there to get us over the line.
I think he will compete better once he's got more of an endurance base and plays up the field more - when he first came he played a few preseason games at HFF and found quite a bit of the ball , I think he has potential to do more of that.

Watched him play a few times this year -
I don't think he fits purely in the winger category even though he plays that position extremely well. Maybe labelled as "not contested" because of his draft profile.

IMO he is powerful and fast enough that he will end up in the midfield in the contest at some point.

Would say he's a lot more potential as a contested midfielder than a player like Dempsey and even more athletic than someone like Bailey smith.

Watch this space for the next two years. But yes we chose COS because of the key position shortage and was probably a good move all things considered.
He averages less than 1 clearance and 5 contested possessions a game. At this stage he is as close to a purely uncontested player as you can get.

I think Neale will improve after another preseason. He stops to a walk as the game wears on. A couple of times when he was loping after a backman it reminded me of Tomahawk. It was like watching a slow moving barge. It is surprising given Neale comes from an athletic background. "Prior to committing to football with South Fremantle, Neale was a National 400m and 800m runner". Nationally ranked would give me more confidence.
51.12 for 400m as a 17 year old is ok.

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpeg
    IMG_2700.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Its not so much the result, if I didn't watch either match I would be thinking the same in that we were expecting a win and a loss, its the manner of the loss V St Kilda thats infuriating, along with some of the team selections.
Infuriating it was. Not sure whether having both Ollie Henry and Rohan in the same team was a good idea, or subbing Duncan for this game (and not next week) was a smart idea.

The first half went as I hoped/expected but I did not see the 2nd half playing out as it did. Saints completely blitzed the Cats. You wonder how much Boris had to do with that.

Hopefully our coaching team can address this Jekyl & Hyde behaviour before the finals. Getting SDK back will free up Blicavs.

You're becoming quite delusional. FG wasn't calling Henry soft at all. Stand by your own convictions, don't put words in other people's mouths.

You're becoming quite delusional. FG wasn't calling Henry soft at all. Stand by your own convictions, don't put words in other people's mouths.
Maybe so but he backed off a contest in the last quarter which did not look good. I think he gies when the conditions are right but not at other times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting that the two players elevated from the VFL, Mannah snd Humphries, are now amongst our best and most consistent players. They were solid in the VFL but weren't standing out. Since being elevated both have risen to the occasion. We have more talent in the Magoos just like them but we won't see them playing this year. We keep giving chances to repeat failures in Bews, Parfitt and Knevitt because the MC lacks initiative. Oh yeah...IN MC WE TRUST.
Get a grip.

Yes the MC never integrates anybody new into the team. Stengle, SDK, Holmes, Bruhn, Bowes, O.Henry, Clark, Conway, Neale, Dempsey, Mannagh, Humphries - they've all been in the 1's for a decade or so.

Oh, they all became first choice or damn close to it over the past 3 seasons? About 4 a year? Burn the place down because it's not 6-8 a year I say.

Meanwhile Bews, Parfitt and Knevitt have played 130 games between them over 2023-2024. Oh it's only 47, so on average 8 games a season - fairly normal for squad depth players in a team that rotates a lot.

Seriously, some of the stuff you've come out with lately is seriously cringe worthy and doesn't pass even a basic fact check.

Maybe so but he backed off a contest in the last quarter which did not look good. I think he gies when the conditions are right but not at other times.
What on Earth does that have to do with mislabelling FG's paragraph as "calling Henry soft"?

Ah right, just inflammatory and combative for the sake of it.

You can call someone soft as a standalone statement if it pleases you. Why bother pretending someone else said it?

What on Earth does that have to do with mislabelling FG's paragraph as "calling Henry soft"?

Ah right, just inflammatory and combative for the sake of it.

You can call someone soft as a standalone statement if it pleases you. Why bother pretending someone else said it?
Steady on, my 'maybe so' was an attempt to agree that my initial comment was unfair. However I still think the way he is playing is not helping the team.

Get a grip.

Yes the MC never integrates anybody new into the team. Stengle, SDK, Holmes, Bruhn, Bowes, O.Henry, Clark, Conway, Neale, Dempsey, Mannagh, Humphries - they've all been in the 1's for a decade or so.

Oh, they all became first choice or damn close to it over the past 3 seasons? About 4 a year? Burn the place down because it's not 6-8 a year I say.

Meanwhile Bews, Parfitt and Knevitt have played 130 games between them over 2023-2024. Oh it's only 47, so on average 8 games a season - fairly normal for squad depth players in a team that rotates a lot.

Seriously, some of the stuff you've come out with lately is seriously cringe worthy and doesn't pass even a basic fact check.
I should learn not to criticise the MC, the precious. I'll probably never learn. I wonder if Duncan will be the sub against WC.

I should learn not to criticise the MC, the precious. I'll probably never learn. I wonder if Duncan will be the sub against WC.
About as clever a response as I've come to expect from you. I imagine these one liners do sound clever in your head, so maybe that's where they should stay.

It's all sarcasm without substance or balance from you lately. No rebuttal to anything put together involving basic things like facts and logic.

Interesting. My view is the opposite. I am confident of Clark playing 200 games. Do not have the same confidence in COS,. He will get games because our need for a tall defender will be so dire but not sold on what quality and if he gets beyond 50-70 games. Maybe if he can turn unto a forward or swingman.
What's he going all religious now?

If that final quarter had restarted them they would have been way better in the first half vs essendon. They werent. They are patchy at best.
They need a sports psych.

To answer your question i think neither team deserves the flag.
Their MF is better but our forwards are way better than their backs (who are gettable).
We could beat them but a lot needs to go right.
They were shithouse early against Essendon. It was only Essendon’s ineptitude that kept Sydney in the game.

Darcy wilson is not the player we need. We have plenty of players who can play wing. Darcy is also allergic to winning the contested ball.
Darcy Wilson to play not winning the hard ball , is his been told by coaches not to do that... he can win the contested ball, no doubt is that.. Maybe not as good as others though
And thats from inside information too

Darcy Wilson to play not winning the hard ball , is his been told by coaches not to do that... he can win the contested ball, no doubt is that.. Maybe not as good as others though
And thats from inside information too
He is being told not to because he is not good at it. Never has been.

So 5 goals in 5 minutes and 9 goals to 1 in quarter 1 doesn't allow the levity of asking the question? Whatever anyone says here should have zero ability to rub you up the wrong way- just idle comments on a footy thread.
As it is, Tigers are more competitive right now, so yes, it was a fleeting and unlikely prospect
Geelong kicked 37 goals to get that record score. 9 goals EVERY qtr would not be enough to break the record.

At qtr time in yesterdays game hawthorn would have been 500 to 1 to break that record.

He is being told not to because he is not good at it. Never has been.
It's not..... His being told to play a certain way at game time... Trust me. His Dad isn't a fan in the way his been told to play on game day, as it doesn't go the way he plays normally... Like I said he isn't a genuine contested beast, but he certainly can do more then what his been told to do

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back