Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

About 2 weeks ago it was a news item that Geelong would not get a home game if they finished 2 because of the MCG requirement. Interesting...
No I think that is if vic team hosts
(Home State) MCG over KP

2015 Perth hosted both prelims
If interstate teams earn right to host finals they do

No I think that is if vic team hosts
(Home State) MCG over KP

2015 Perth hosted both prelims
If interstate teams earn right to host finals they do
You could be correct. 2015 did have an MCG game from the other games. I guess the AFL could just pay the MCG for an empty venue.

You could be correct. 2015 did have an MCG game from the other games. I guess the AFL could just pay the MCG for an empty venue.
2015? They had the prelim final weekend all in Perth that year didn't they? I don't remember am interstate team having to play their home game in Melbourne?

Just re read it. Yeah they can't take a home final off a team for financial reasons. They gotta take the good years with the bad

Yeah or they schedule more games the following season, or when all finals are in Melbourne

Rohan's problem is coming back from concussion. If you look back Stewart and Cameron took a few weeks to come good after coming back from concussion.
Hopefully this means we get a week 1 Rohan Finals Special where he takes a massive mark, kicks 3 and sets up Holmes for the match winner.

Typical play was a long bomb into our forward line.
St Kilda marked the ball easily, usually, they were two on one. They played goal-to-goal line with no resistance. Too quick and too good on the day. It happened more often than not, with minimal resistance from us. Important game and we were disappointed big time. You could see the shift halfway through the second quarter. Like the coach indicated he cannot jump the fence.

The team must be refreshed and our older players in decline. They must be tapped on the shoulder.

We’re desperate as there’s no point watching Rohan get 3 kicks and Henry’s opponent making it 15 times in a game.

2E doesn’t currently have a role. He might make a decent lead, or at least compete against his direct opponent.

The cupboard is bare in VFL to replace Henry and Rohan. Foster? Willis?
I'd take Willis over OHenry

I think at one stoppage last night we had Atkins, Duncan, Knevitt and Bowes standing around as the mids.

Naturally, St Kilda won the clearance.

Boy do we need more mids.

Smith is a good start... but still not enough for mine.

Smith and Holmes will be the best wingers in the game.
Both are also able to play as inside mids which is a huge advantage.

I think another preseason will do wonders for Bruhn. Clark and Knevitt are probably another year away from really elevating their games.

They would force Geelong to play at the MCG. AFL has a contract and a game must be played there. It would be so funny to see it happen.

Only in regards to finals being played in Victoria:

Source 1:
“The AFL has gone into the contracts and it shows that if there’s only one final in Victoria in weeks one, two and three, it has to be played at the MCG,” Mitch Cleary said on Talking Footy.

“So right now even if Geelong finish second and host a home qualifying final, that has to be played at the MCG if there’s no other final.”

Source 2:
The contract the AFL has with the MCG stipulates that if there's only one final in Victoria in weeks one, two and three, it must be played at the MCG. Victorian preliminary finals must also be played at the MCG with a contract to 2059 for an MCG Grand Final.

The rule you are referencing is a now outdated rule regarding the hosting venues for the finals, which came to a head in 2004 when Brisbane "hosted" Geelong in the prelim at the MCG

Through to 2004, the MCG was entitled to host at least one match in each week of the finals - in 2005 that agreement was changed, and as per those changes:

- Under the current contract, ten finals (excluding the Grand Final) must be played at the MCG over a five-year period

Last year the MCG hosted 5 finals across the first 3 weeks, and they hosted 5 games across the first 3 weeks in 2022 - so no, an interstate team won't be forced to host a final at the MCG in week one of the finals, or week 2 or week 3

Mullin and knevitt out sdk and bruhn in.
Tuohy or rohan sub possibly.

This week or finals?

Doubt we see SDK until finals considering he only had surgery this past week and they put a 1-2 week time frame on his return

Positive that isn't a thing anymore
Only GF at MCG is a lock ..

It is and it isn't...

The rule was changed back in 2005 after the issues with Brisbane "hosting" the 2004 prelim at the MCG

It's now 10 finals in the first 3 weeks over a rolling 5 year period

And that's already been met for this year before a final has been played:
2023, 5 x finals
2022, 5 x finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical play was a long bomb into our forward line.
St Kilda marked the ball easily, usually, they were two on one. They played goal-to-goal line with no resistance. Too quick and too good on the day. It happened more often than not, with minimal resistance from us. Important game and we were disappointed big time. You could see the shift halfway through the second quarter. Like the coach indicated he cannot jump the fence.

The team must be refreshed and our older players in decline. They must be tapped on the shoulder.
Ive never understood why we bomb the ball when we havent had a genuine contested mark inside 50 for years, how many times do quality intercept defenders have to destroy us before we figure out that isn't going to work 😂.

Rohan and Henry are punching above their weight classes every week they are never going to clunk marks consistently, it's never been a strength for Jez and Neale seems to just lack any real competitiveness at all, leaves us looking pretty average when we dont dominate to the extent that we can just hit guys lace out on the lead.

Saints showed how easy you can score when you make the most of what you have and move the ball with a bit of intelligence.

Last edited:
This week or finals?

Doubt we see SDK until finals considering he only had surgery this past week and they put a 1-2 week time frame on his return

I mean for the QF.
They will save sdk for that.
This week it will just be bruhn for knevitt id say.
Could do tuohy for mullin or rohan potentially.

What? Those kids wont play this year.

In the event we dropped both rohan and henry (unlikely) we would just play cameron, neale,the 4smalls plus dempsey as a roaming hybrid. We dont need an extra '3rd tall'. We would be better off with an extra mid instead.

I give you Bruhn. Sorry to the Hardie hard fans, but he'll stay patient and wait for his call up (not emg) like Mannagh did. We've been lucky with the integration of Dempsey, Humphries & Mannagh..... Clark, Knevitt, Mullin and Bews got chances.
Don't push it at this time of year, unless bubonic plague sweeps the rooms.

But most of them have had tougher drawers. Happy to name the teams better than Geelong - Swans, Port, GWS, Lions, Bulldogs. Freo is a better team based on a tougher drawer and a lot of interstate games. So that leaves Hawthorn who is probably playing better football right now than all of them. Look at the percentages of the top 8 teams. Geelong has the lowest percentage at 107.7. This is not the percentage of a top 4 side. There is no denying that Geelong has overachieved given the talent on their list. Our ruck/midfield combination is easily the worst of the top 8 teams if not the entire competition. If we had half decent midfielders, Dangerfield would be playing forward and Stewart down back where he is meant to be. When Atkins is your first picked midfielder you know you have problems. He wouldn't get on the midfield rotation at any other club.
Agreed. Have said that for a while.

If you'd said to me at the start of the season that we had to beat WCE last game to gain a top 4 spot, I'd have been rapt. Some of our matches are so full of merit, but you just know it's taken so much out of them (Freo in WA) that they can not back it up.

I give you Bruhn. Sorry to the Hardie hard fans, but he'll stay patient and wait for his call up (not emg) like Mannagh did. We've been lucky with the integration of Dempsey, Humphries & Mannagh..... Clark, Knevitt, Mullin and Bews got chances.
Don't push it at this time of year, unless bubonic plague sweeps the rooms.
Midfield was smashed, hopefully this week we see Bruhn and Hardie in and Mullin and Knevitt out.

Ive never understood why we bomb the ball when we havent had a genuine contested mark inside 50 for years, how many times do quality intercept defenders have to destroy us before we figure out that isn't going to work 😂.

Rohan and Henry are punching above their weight classes every week they are never going to clunk marks consistently, it's never been a strength for Jez and Neale seems to just lack any real competitiveness at all, leaves us looking pretty average when we dont dominate to the exent that we can just hit guys lace out on the lead.

Saints showed how easy you can score when you make the most of what you have and move the ball with a bit of intelligence.

Just home from Avalon (for Gods sake light up the Ring Road like its not a third world country) and loading up the replay. Can't understand it either, but Miers, Stengle, Mannagh, Dempsey, Holmes, Danger and Close all usually deliver well into F50 if there is a lead. Forwards playing from behind, my beef with Neale and Henry, and bombing Jezza nowhere to be found because he's prowling the wing, is the easy answer. Or is it the old "a cigar is just a cigar", and we were just beaten by a better defending team?

Smith and Holmes will be the best wingers in the game.
Both are also able to play as inside mids which is a huge advantage.

I think another preseason will do wonders for Bruhn. Clark and Knevitt are probably another year away from really elevating their games.
You don't mean Watson and Holmes. Who is Smith?

Just home from Avalon (for Gods sake light up the Ring Road like its not a third world country) and loading up the replay. Can't understand it either, but Miers, Stengle, Mannagh, Dempsey, Holmes, Danger and Close all usually deliver well into F50 if there is a lead. Forwards playing from behind, my beef with Neale and Henry, and bombing Jezza nowhere to be found because he's prowling the wing, is the easy answer. Or is it the old "a cigar is just a cigar", and we were just beaten by a better defending team?
Just beaten by a fitter team that worked a lot harder. Sometimes Geelong brings the heat sometimes there is nothing left in the tank - mentally and physically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back