James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

But there just words, not a real argument

Cats were a hairs breath from a grand final, and possibly the flag - that's not a team that gives up players who can contribute effectively next year

What actually does "restore balance to the list" mean? Sure it sounds nice...

A good mix of youth and enthusiasm with respect to age and experience.

The AFL isn't a contested marking environment anymore. It's not an important part of the game anymore.

It's a good skill to have and a good selling point towards recruiters but the AFL isn't a contested marking work place.

Having 38 over the course of a season gives this credibility. Travis Cloke only has 58.

Say what?

Why do you reckon Sydney went so hard after Tippett?
Why were Collingwood so keen to keep Cloke?

Sorry, but in my opinion, you are dead wrong

The AFL isn't a contested marking environment anymore. It's not an important part of the game anymore.

It's a good skill to have and a good selling point towards recruiters but the AFL isn't a contested marking work place.

Having 38 over the course of a season gives this credibility. Travis Cloke only has 58.

It goes beyond belief that anyone would suggest that contested marking isn't an important part of the game anymore

The get out of jail kick has and always will be critical in particularly in finals and even though I agree that you can't rely on this kick all the time having contested mark capability inside your forward 50 means that you don't have to rely on perfect footy to kick your goals

Just look at that forward line now. :rolleyes:

Last time he kicked over 40 goals was 2011 in a premiership side. Since then, he has kicked 35 and 33 goals with Geelong decreasing in dominance.

I'm suggesting, if he can play anywhere between 15 and 20 games, he could kick us 25 goals, maximum.

2010 - 2.6 goals per game
2011 - 2.3 goals per game
2012 - 1.9 goals per game
2012 - 1.3 goals per game.
Alex goals from Podsiadly will be a bonus .......he's there to straighten us up, provide a contest and bring the ball to ground.

He'll of course clunk his fair share of contested marks ......when comparing each year you have to factor what role he played .....last year a lot of playing time was in defence, so you'd expect goals to be down

Say what?

Why do you reckon Sydney went so hard after Tippett?
Why were Collingwood so keen to keep Cloke?

Sorry, but in my opinion, you are dead wrong

That's ok but when the leader of this stat doesn't do this skill more than twice a game, it becomes evident that the skill isn't executed very often during a game.

How many uncontested marks are taken during a game and how many contested marks are taken.

This statistic doesn't give a true indication if the player us very good or not.

Fine - he us the greatest player ever and we should kiss David Nobles feet for getting this deal done.

When Shaun McKernan takes .4 of a contested mark per game less, it doesn't mean much.

That's ok but when the leader of this stat doesn't do this skill more than twice a game, it becomes evident that the skill isn't executed very often during a game.

How many uncontested marks are taken during a game and how many contested marks are taken.

This statistic doesn't give a true indication if the player us very good or not.

Usually when something is rarer it has more value. You place value on a contested mark because it is hard to do, but the advantage it gives you when completed I50 is immeasurable.

You can't say all the backwards passing and chipping around is more valuable than a clunk I50 with the chance of a goal on the end.

It's like saying shots on goal aren't important because there aren't as many shots on goal as there are total kicks in a game.

Fine - he us the greatest player ever and we should kiss David Nobles feet for getting this deal done.

When Shaun McKernan takes .4 of a contested mark per game less, it doesn't mean much.

In the context of a season for a fwd, that's 9 more shots on goal or I50's. If that gives us a tiny advantage its worth it. In addition to the CM's taken, there are the contests that result in crumbs. Champion data don't supply that data to the public.

Yeah but again, just words.

What about that means discard a KPF, with allegedly 2 years good production?

As I say its academic now, and we need to support him. The decision still puzzles me though

Do your homework. Have a look at the age profile of Grandfinal teams since 2007 and tell me what you find. They are not just words. You need to see it in context.

Usually when something is rarer it has more value. You place value on a contested mark because it is hard to do, but the advantage it gives you when completed I50 is immeasurable.

You can't say all the backwards passing and chipping around is more valuable than a clunk I50 with the chance of a goal on the end.

It's like saying shots on goal aren't important because there aren't as many shots on goal as there are total kicks in a game.

But how often does that happen a game? Once maybe twice and if it happens twice, it doesn't happen twice every week.

If we can get one goal per week based on a contested mark from the J-Pod, we will be going ok but based in the stat that he only kicked 1.3 goals per game last year I wouldn't be counting on that.

Shaun McKernan takes something like 1.2 contested marks a game, it's important but not that important to a team winning and losing a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contested marking is difficult but its a very small part of the game.

Look, I'm not saying its not a highly skilled component of the game, I'm just saying its not the difference between winning and losing unless that person taking that contested mark is Carey, Ablett or Franklin.

And the J-Pod isn't one of those players.

But how often does that happen a game? Once maybe twice and if it happens twice, it doesn't happen twice every week.

If we can get one goal per week based on a contested mark from the J-Pod, we will be going ok but based in the stat that he only kicked 1.3 goals per game last year I wouldn't be counting on that.

Shaun McKernan takes something like 1.2 contested marks a game, it's important but not that important to a team winning and losing a game.

If we use JPod down back he'll still take the mark, but he won't goal. His goals last year reflect that he wasn't forward all the time.

If Smac grew come confidence his CM would improve too. He's not unskilled he just needs intensity. Crashing packs takes intenisty that's why we have JPod. The result of the crashing packs is CMs not the other way around. We need players to make contests I50, but also break contests. Without Walker we struggle in this area.

Just look at that forward line now. :rolleyes:

Last time he kicked over 40 goals was 2011 in a premiership side. Since then, he has kicked 35 and 33 goals with Geelong decreasing in dominance.

I'm suggesting, if he can play anywhere between 15 and 20 games, he could kick us 25 goals, maximum.

2010 - 2.6 goals per game
2011 - 2.3 goals per game
2012 - 1.9 goals per game
2012 - 1.3 goals per game.

He played a much different role this year than he will for the crows.

At first I wasn't too keen on the idea of recruiting him. But, thinking about it, with him playing early in the year it should eliminate or at least mostly eliminate the temptation to bring back Tex before he's ready as he's a capable goal kicker and target up forward. The fact he's cost us absolutely nothing helps too.

JPod brings structure initially whilst we await Tex, brings the ball to ground for the likes of Betts and Callinan (if still with us), and will be an asset off field as well.

Sando knows his quality.

2 years, maybe one year too many on field but if he has the expertise to move into a sports science role after I think this is a smart recruitment.

Come the start of the 2014 season he'll be 30 though.

Besides, didn't we not want want to offer Hudson a 3 year deal which would get him to 31 years since that went against our 30 year old policy?
There are plenty of examples of players who signed multi year deals after their 29th birthday. The fact that he turns 30 in the first year of the contract is irrelevant.

As for Hudson, there was a lot more to it than that.

Can you give me any examples of those players?

Robert Harvey springs to mind.
Brent Harvey I think
Dustin Fletcher as well

Couple straight off the top of my head

I am just praying Pods does something worthwhile next season. I have had massive doubts about this trade from day one. My worst fear is we feel we have to play him because he is a tall forward but he doesn't actually do anything and the media start bagging this trade every week. I understand the thought process of the AFC but not sure this was the answer especially since we most likely wont be in premiership contention. Pods.....Please make me eat my words.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back