James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: How many games will James Podsiadly play?

Is that an exact quote? 'Cause I was listening and he sounded considerably less emphatic than you're making out.

Come on. As close I can remember. He definitely said 'he will play 10-12' and then as I 'made out' he hesitate and said either we believe, expect, or think he will.

Choose the word that makes you feel better ;)

Although Bomber did also say that selwood "will only play 10-12 games" in 2007 :D

Is that an exact quote? 'Cause I was listening and he sounded considerably less emphatic than you're making out.

It's pretty close.

K ROCK asked him what he thinks Pods needs to to to get into seniors, and he said, nothing, we know he's good enough, and then paused and said he'll lay 10-12 games this year. I could be overreading it, but th biggest thing for me is that Bomber said it unprompted...i.e. it wasn't like they asked him,'how many games will Pods play', and caught on the hop, he pulled a figure out of the air....he bvolunteered to give a figure, which indicates to me he's very confident that Pods will play seniors (whether he plays exactly up to that many games or not)...after all if he was in any doubt as to whether he'd lay seniors, then he wouldn't have given a figure.

There's one thing about bomber. When he finds someone he likes, he sticks with them. A bit of a sheedy trait I think.

I was a mate of Kents and back in ....99? I think it was, I went into the Roos reserves rooms one day and was talking to Bomber We ended up talking about Kent and Cam.. You could tell he just loved them. Wouldn't stop talking about how well they were coming along.

And the day we recruited Bomber I just believed that Kent and Cam were going to end up at the cats. It's the type of guy he is...I think, he backs players he likes.

reports inside the club from my friend who works full time with the players, is that they are over the moon with pods.

said he was extremely nervous about his nab cup game against north melbourne

he is one of the quickest players over 20m in the squad, and is bench pressing the most at the club.

the 20m sprint part shocked me a little, personally i thought he was very slow watching him... couldnt bend over well either

I don't understand how anyone can say 1-5 when Bomber said it loud and clear on saturday.

"....he excites me, we know he is good enough, and we know he'll play 10-12 games this year... *hesitated for a second* well we believe he will anyway"

I did not hear and/or read what Bomber said exactly, but I'm sure what you've quoted is accurate. I would personally interpret what he said as basically praising up Pods and reiterating that both himself and the Club have faith in him. Bomber would also be undoubtedly expecting injuries throughout the Season and thus he is publically earmarking Podsiadly as the one to come into the side for at least portions of the Season.

reports inside the club from my friend who works full time with the players, is that they are over the moon with pods.

said he was extremely nervous about his nab cup game against north melbourne

he is one of the quickest players over 20m in the squad, and is bench pressing the most at the club.

the 20m sprint part shocked me a little, personally i thought he was very slow watching him... couldnt bend over well either

It certainly can be deceiving just how quick some of the bigger blokes in the League actually are. When I was watching Pods vs. North; I suspected he was a lot quicker than he appeared.

We'll be too top heavy playing Hawkins, Mooney and Pods all at the same time. We have gone down this track before over the years with no success. I can remember a forwardline of Graham, Mooney and McCarthy tried for a while which didn't work.

The cats forwardline functions best with only the 2 talls and quality smalls like Chappy, SJ and Stokes/Byrnes/Varcoe crumbing. Rooke's addition to the front half providing defensive work as well as another viable marking option cannot be underestimated either.

I would like to see all three talls played, with Mooney playing up the field. Richmond played Richo on the wing quite successfully, imagine playing on a wing and lining up on big Cam. What a great target when coming out of defence and how dangerous when he floats forwars.... Go Cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all. Your opinion is absolutely valid, just much as anyone's. We may think we're experts, but we've all been wrong plenty of times.

No my doubts are based on 2 things: firstly in that he's a 28 year old who's never played at the top level before. I'm extremely wary of him becoming a viable forward option immediately, if at all. I could be wrong; but that's my take on it. He may have looked superb in the VFL, but that's the VFL, it's a different standard. A 5 metre break you can get on a defender at that level will turn to 1 (or zero) at senior level. Every opponent he has is going to be bigger, quicker, stronger and with superior defensive skills than their reserve counterparts. That needs to be remembered.

I see where you're coming from, however it's too much of a ageneralisation to be worth anything. Of course AFL is a speed up, and some guys from the VFL cope with that fine, and some don't. In terms of applying it to any specific player, like Pods, until he's actually played some chunk of AFL football (I wouldn't assess anything on just one game) you can't say whether he will or won't cope with the speed.

Secondly, I just think the game is too quick now for 3 big guys up forward. Even with the traditional 2 tall forwards, we've seen with our past attempts with Ottens (pre-2007) that once the ball hits the ground they're effectively useless; teams are just so well drilled at running the ball out. The tall forwards need to be pretty agile, so I can't understand why you would want another taller, more cumbersome player there.

First of all, a ruckman isn't a good comparison with a forward as the former is always likely to be more cumbersome. Secondly, I think it depends on whether the forwards are prepared to work damn hard at applying defensive pressure. It's not like a big guy can't, it just takes more effort. That said, if we do it for 10 weeks and it doesn't work, I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

And unfortunately, bombing it long quickly isn't really a viable option anymore, as much as we'd like it. Sides are so much more intelligent with their defensive strategies. A third defender will be across to spoil immediately.

I would say that bombing it is a dumb strategy no matter how many talls you have. And an extra tall shouldn't automatically mean that you do bomb it in more. I think a taller forward line can still beat defences, like anything else, providing you win the ball quickly from stoppages, don't stuff around with lateralness and hit well to moving targets on leads.

So for me, a starting forward line of Chapman, Mooney, Johnson, Byrnes, Hawkins, and Rooke is about right. With Varcoe and Ablett (among others) rotating through there also. That provides a perfect balance of size, speed, marking ability, strength, skill and defensive pressure. I'd be very reluctant to change it. It's served us well in the last few years.

I like that too. Having said if the coaching staff change it, for Pods or whoever, I'll trust them. They have the runs on the board.

I did not hear and/or read what Bomber said exactly, but I'm sure what you've quoted is accurate. I would personally interpret what he said as basically praising up Pods and reiterating that both himself and the Club have faith in him. Bomber would also be undoubtedly expecting injuries throughout the Season and thus he is publically earmarking Podsiadly as the one to come into the side for at least portions of the Season.

I would agree.... I didn't interpret it as he will definitely play 12 games, as I doubt the coaches know for certain exactly how many games each player will play, as there's so many uncertain variables. What I did interpret it though as saying Pods will play some AFL footy at some stage this year, because it wouldn't make sense for Bomber to say it otherwise.

It certainly can be deceiving just how quick some of the bigger blokes in the League actually are. When I was watching Pods vs. North; I suspected he was a lot quicker than he appeared.

Agreed...I think big blokes can look slower than they are, and Pods is as much looking like that as anyone. Having actually seen him lead in training and in games, he is quicker than he looks. No Byrnes, but for his size, quick.

1-5. As has already been said he's currently backup for Hawkins and Mooney; they have to be injured, or out of form, for him to get a game currently. We're also left with the fact his elevation right now would be based on Mitch Brown being on the LTI. That leaves the problem that once Brown comes off the LTI, we need to wait until Round 14 (?) to elevate a rookie and he's going to also be competing with Pods as a forward. There's also Ben Johnson, though I suspect he'll spend most of the VFL season down back.

So basically, he's only getting a game if Hawkins or Mooney are injured or so hopelessly out of form they get dropped, and whilst as the season goes on the chances of those two things happening increase, so does his potential competition for the spot.

I would agree with you re the issue of Brown coming back early so Pods has to go back to the rookie list. However I can't agree re them being in direct competition. Anyone expecting Brown to play AFL in 2010 given his injuries, is off base in my opinion.

i have a strong feeling that bomber feels by playing a third tall that we can expose one of the top four sides, maybe the bulldogs?

if that is his line of thought, then i am all for it

lets be realistic here, how many sides are their we actually have to worry about when we are fully fit? i dont think having pods in and out would make much of a difference to the result most weeks

you would probably only say bulldogs and st kilda are a threat to us, and if bomber feels that playing pods could tactically expose one of those two defences, then im a big wrap for him in the team.

I'd love to see the Pods be played most games with Hawkins and Mooney. It will work if they do it.

I think we should only refer to him as "The Pods".
It has a nice ring to it.
Anyone agree?

i have a strong feeling that bomber feels by playing a third tall that we can expose one of the top four sides, maybe the bulldogs?

if that is his line of thought, then i am all for it

lets be realistic here, how many sides are their we actually have to worry about when we are fully fit? i dont think having pods in and out would make much of a difference to the result most weeks

you would probably only say bulldogs and st kilda are a threat to us, and if bomber feels that playing pods could tactically expose one of those two defences, then im a big wrap for him in the team.

Top sides (other than us) are generally considered to be Dogs, Saints, Hawks and Pies/Crows. I would have thought that a three-pronged tall forward line - IF IT WORKS - would give them ALL trouble.

Dogs have Lake and Williams (if he gets on the park), leaving some lucky sod with Everitt
Saints have Dawson, Jason Blake (haha) and then ... who? S Fisher/Gilbert?
Hawks have no-one. Gibson has already shown he's not up to it, and then there's Gilham ...
Pies have an ageing Presti, Harry O'Brien and then probably Nathan Brown?
Crows have Bock, Rutten (nowhere near what he used to be) and ... ?

I'd back a well-functioning triple tower forward line against any of them.

I bought this shirt in bangkok for some reason :rolleyes:

ipood_tshirt-p235350566047951385t58s_525.jpg

I think we should only refer to him as "The Pods".
It has a nice ring to it.
Anyone agree?

That or IPods :D or trypods :D

We'll be too top heavy playing Hawkins, Mooney and Pods all at the same time. We have gone down this track before over the years with no success. I can remember a forwardline of Graham, Mooney and McCarthy tried for a while which didn't work.

The cats forwardline functions best with only the 2 talls and quality smalls like Chappy, SJ and Stokes/Byrnes/Varcoe crumbing. Rooke's addition to the front half providing defensive work as well as another viable marking option cannot be underestimated either.

I really do agree....although I must say that for the early rounds while Max isn't playing, I could understand if the coaches decided to fill the 6th forward line spot with a taller player (i.e. Pods) rather than a small player-neither option is ideal because Max is a unique player and almost impossible to replace.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back