James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: How many games will James Podsiadly play?

Has Pods been offically elevated to the senior list yet? Only a fortnight till Round 1! Plus i need to know whether to pick him in Supercoach or not :cool:

Has Pods been offically elevated to the senior list yet? Only a fortnight till Round 1! Plus i need to know whether to pick him in Supercoach or not :cool:

Me too...he's presently on my SC bench.

Anyway, there's a deadline to elevate rookies if they are to play in round 1, and I'm pretty sure it's sometime soon, so keep an eye out.

as i stated in the rd 1 thread. Whos to say pods cant rotate thru the mid? by all reports he is super fit so why not give it a crack?

as i stated in the rd 1 thread. Whos to say pods cant rotate thru the mid? by all reports he is super fit so why not give it a crack?

Because we have the best midfield you'd ever hope to see and there's no point messing with it. If it's that good even Enright or Kelly can't get in there, then Pods shouldn't.

Forward though, that's another story :thumbsu:

If he could kick straight he might have a chance...although on our forward line I suppose he fits in. :mad:

I'm not convinced he is in our best 22 either. Might get some games because of injuries etc., but nothing so far has convinced me he is going to add much.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Brett Spinks anyone?

Am i the only one that doesn't want Pods in our 22? (along with Hawkins and Mooney that it.)

No there's a couple of us, predominantly because I believe the game is too quick for 3 tall forwards. It might work some days; but you'll get found out against the best. I also don't believe he's done enough to warrant selection yet, a few bags of 5 or 6 and I might change my mind.

Very hard to comment on the Freo game as I didn't see it, seemed a much better performance. Although the one I think will be included will be Duncan. If Rooke and/or Corey are the only ones missing, you'd think a couple of midfielders will be the likely replacements. The game's about runners and luckily we've got heaps of them.

Sounds like everyone contributed, but for Pods - 4 goals in 3 games is not form that demands a spot in our best 22. Not when Mooney and Hawkins are both fit.

No there's a couple of us, predominantly because I believe the game is too quick for 3 tall forwards. It might work some days; but you'll get found out against the best. I also don't believe he's done enough to warrant selection yet, a few bags of 5 or 6 and I might change my mind.

Very hard to comment on the Freo game as I didn't see it, seemed a much better performance. Although the one I think will be included will be Duncan. If Rooke and/or Corey are the only ones missing, you'd think a couple of midfielders will be the likely replacements. The game's about runners and luckily we've got heaps of them.

Sounds like everyone contributed, but for Pods - 4 goals in 3 games is not form that demands a spot in our best 22. Not when Mooney and Hawkins are both fit.

I think that he's shown he can kick a goal in our structure, has had a look and feel at "kinda" AFL pace and is now ready to be exactly what he is. A damn good VFL player who is a ready-made back up for Moons and Hawkins if required.
I would be very surprised if the GFC game-plan this year is for 3 tall forwards.

Just being inquisitive and not wishing to be negative as I hope 'Pods' is outstandingly successful. There's been lots of love for him here but what actually has he done so far this year? Just hope we don't forget that Tomahawk should be our priority as there's way more upside to him short, medium and (especially) long term.

Just being inquisitive and not wishing to be negative as I hope 'Pods' is outstandingly successful. There's been lots of love for him here but what actually has he done so far this year? Just hope we don't forget that Tomahawk should be our priority as there's way more upside to him short, medium and (especially) long term.

It is possible to walk and chew gum at the same time.

But yes, you make a good point.

I would agree that he probably hasn't stepped up with the sort of outstanding pre season that demands selection.

I would however make the side point that you don't judge forwards purely on how many GPG they kick-if that were the case plenty of forwards would sit in the VFL (including ours at times).

But yes, I think you might be onto something with this midfielder stuff. We'll have to see though what match committee comes up with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should only refer to him as "The Pods".
It has a nice ring to it.
Anyone agree?

Concur, i like it, has a nice ring to it. Althought admittedly when someone says PODS it conjures up images of those brilliant mars and twix chocolate snacks i buy all too often.

Concur, i like it, has a nice ring to it. Althought admittedly when someone says PODS it conjures up images of those brilliant mars and twix chocolate snacks i buy all too often.

For me it actually conjures up images of that cool sci fi tripods show.

But hey, I am a little odd sometimes :cool:

I would agree that he probably hasn't stepped up with the sort of outstanding pre season that demands selection.

I would however make the side point that you don't judge forwards purely on how many GPG they kick-if that were the case plenty of forwards would sit in the VFL (including ours at times).

But yes, I think you might be onto something with this midfielder stuff. We'll have to see though what match committee comes up with.

Possibly. But we're not talking about a defensive medium-sized forward like Rooke. We're talking about a mature age hard-bodied key forward. And key forwards are there to kick goals.

Would anyone here be happy if Hawkins kicks less goals this season than last? Of course not. He really needs to kick at least 40-50 goals to take a big step forward. To maintain the output he provides for us Mooney needs around the same.

Possibly. But we're not talking about a defensive medium-sized forward like Rooke. We're talking about a mature age hard-bodied key forward. And key forwards are there to kick goals.

Would anyone here be happy if Hawkins kicks less goals this season than last? Of course not. He really needs to kick at least 40-50 goals to take a big step forward. To maintain the output he provides for us Mooney needs around the same.
I thought Saturdays game explained why the Coaching Staff have been right behind Pods.
He , like Mooney and Hawkins , looked ordinary in the first half primarily due to poor delivery. In the second half he spent time at FF and even a short time playing a leading CHF. He leads well , reads the play well , is quite fast and has a devastating kicking action - at one stage he marked near the centre, wheeled onto the left , and drilled a 50metre pass onto Moons ( i think) chest.
His goalkiking action is excellent and whilst he kicked 1.3 or 1.4 for the day his misses were all so close you get the impression with some belief he could easily turn that into 4.1 or so - if he did that on Saturday try and keep him out of Round 1 !
Just great to have such potential on the List.

I just thought I'd update on the rookie elevation deadline I commented on earlier.

It appears I was wrong...today's deadline was not for rookies to be elevated to replace LTI's (that can be done at any time), it is for clubs who have less than two veterans to elevate a rookie to play in the veteran spot (hence why Polak has just been elevated). Therefore we shouldn't read much into Pods not being one of the ones elevated today.

Of course we would all want Hawkins to step up and kick more goals this season.

I'm simply saying, if you were to judge forwards purely on GPG, then given his career average of less than 2, he'd have spent most of his career in the VFL. Now I'm not suggesting for a second Hawkins should be dropped as he's a very good player, I'm simply saying if you assess a forward purely that way (even Rooke, even whoever in fact) it's a misleading statistic-it makes some forwards look much better than they really are, and others look much worse than they really are. We should judge the whole package, be it with Hawkins, Mooney, Podsiadly or anyone else who professes to be a forward.

Saw the man live at the weekend. Couldn't quite believe his size. To put it in perspective for WA locals, he is slightly taller and larger than Pavlich who IMO is a physical freak. Pods moves very quickly too. I'm not suggesting he should have midfield capability like Pavlich but how did this guy go around for 10 years and not get drafted. The only factor he was slightly disappointing against was his accuracy. I'd understood he was a goal-kicking weapon, but maybe he's just getting that organized in a new environment

GEELONG'S planned three-pronged forward set-up might be short-lived, even if it's a raging success in the opening rounds of the season.

James Podsiadly, pictured, is certain to join Cameron Mooney and Tom Hawkins in the Cats' forward line this year, possibly as early as Round 1, but the reigning premiers' plans could be hamstrung by league rules.
The 28-year-old rookie will only be eligible to play senior footy because young forward Mitch Brown has been placed on the long-term injury list with a broken leg.

But Brown is as few as four weeks away from returning, and hoping to play in Geelong's first VFL game of the season, which is played on the weekend of Round 3 in the AFL.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/03/18/155811_gfc.html

Nothing new here, most supporters who understand the LTI worked it out ages ago.

It's why the 10-12 games Bomber forecast is probably accurate, as he'll play the first few, then return to the VFL until round 12, and then play a few more later in the year.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if Mitch Brown takes longer to get back on the park.

Nothing new here, most supporters who understand the LTI worked it out ages ago.

It's why the 10-12 games Bomber forecast is probably accurate, as he'll play the first few, then return to the VFL until round 12, and then play a few more later in the year.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if Mitch Brown takes longer to get back on the park.

"Thompson still remains unconvinced about the three-talls system, and Podsiadly could be watching from the sidelines for the season opener, with team balance to dictate whether the Cats would be too top heavy against a speedy Essendon outfit." ;)

"Thompson still remains unconvinced about the three-talls system, and Podsiadly could be watching from the sidelines for the season opener, with team balance to dictate whether the Cats would be too top heavy against a speedy Essendon outfit." ;)

I agree. I struggle to see who would play instead though, if you go with the rule that nobody who hasn't played more than 1 prac game plays, which scrubs gamble, djerrkura and hogan.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back