Toast James Sicily - Hawthorn captain 2023 - AA 2023!

Remove this Banner Ad

Two things have frustrated me the most about this club over the past few years.

The first was seeing a one dimensional midfield of JOM / Mitchell / Shiels continually be named. The last offseason changed that and the transformation of our midfield has been the story of the season.

The second is seeing James Sicily play as a key defender. Seeing him play one out against Jeremy Cameron earlier in the year was so frustrating. He isn’t a lock down key defender and that takes away from his major weapon as an interceptor.

Hopefully after yesterdays game we don’t see James lining up in a key defensive post ever again!

What *ing bullshit. Must appeal. There was no forceful bump whatsoever, he just turned his body to shepherd.
Agree. There is no medium impact in this.
only this time change our legal rep or use a work experience kid as they would put up a better case than we have previously

Agree. There is no medium impact in this.
only this time change our legal rep or use a work experience kid as they would put up a better case than we have previously
I think the same. Braces for contact and turns his body to protect himself and maximise his chances of taking possession. He doesn’t seek contact or break his line to bump. They collide and the opposition player receives a glancing blow which doesn’t seem to injure him in any way. Seems very harsh that that action can cost someone a game.

No way we will be accepting this. Expect a few days at the tribunal trying to get it downgraded which it should be. Nothing more than a fine. He wasn't even trying to bump him he didn't veer into the path of Caminiti he tried to block him from going for the ball and glanced him high. The action itself is what we should be arguing. Wasn't a bump more a blocking attempt.

Yeah he’ll sadly get a week
Blanck’s inclusion (and DGB’s if he ever pulls his finger out) is critical to releasing Sicily to be the intercept gun we saw yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That James Sicily FB page is always gold 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528_192633.png
    Screenshot_20230528_192633.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 149
Sicily has been in the top 3 for intercept possessions for every season he's played since 2018.

2018 - 2nd
2019 - 3rd
2020 - 3rd
2021 - ACL
2022 - 3rd
2023 - 2nd

He is also the only player that is a constant in the top 3 over those years, and he's also the only player in the top 3 for those years (except for Cal Wilkie this season) that has not made an AA team.

I understand that it was a suspension, and I understand that we were never going to appeal it because it wouldn't get up, but I also don't see what Sicily did wrong there from a decision making point of view.

He went to compete with the player to get the ball to stop them from kicking a goal, part of that is turning your body to make sure you protect your own head and put body contact on the player running in so they can't get a clear run at the goals. It was 100% the right thing to do from a football perspective. He protected himself, he went for the ball, and the only reason that he collected Caminiti high is because Caminiti pulled back and didn't compete like Sicily was clearly expecting him to.

What does this tell players for the next time they're in this situation? Let the opposition player pick it up and kick a goal? Go at the ball head first and put your own noggin in danger?

I understand that it was a suspension, and I understand that we were never going to appeal it because it wouldn't get up, but I also don't see what Sicily did wrong there from a decision making point of view.

He went to compete with the player to get the ball to stop them from kicking a goal, part of that is turning your body to make sure you protect your own head and put body contact on the player running in so they can't get a clear run at the goals. It was 100% the right thing to do from a football perspective. He protected himself, he went for the ball, and the only reason that he collected Caminiti high is because Caminiti pulled back and didn't compete like Sicily was clearly expecting him to.

What does this tell players for the next time they're in this situation? Let the opposition player pick it up and kick a goal? Go at the ball head first and put your own noggin in danger?
You can no longer play on natural instincts. Sic was doing nothing more than chase the ball and turned his body where contact was imminent, with no intended malice. So wtf is he supposed to in that split second. Stop and let the st kilda player get the ball first? Absolutely not. This game has become an absolute joke now and difference between getting rubbed out, or not, is very very fine line. Imagine missing a final from this sh!t.

You can no longer play on natural instincts. Sic was doing nothing more than chase the ball and turned his body where contact was imminent, with no intended malice. So wtf is he supposed to in that split second. Stop and let the st kilda player get the ball first? Absolutely not. This game has become an absolute joke now and difference between getting rubbed out, or not, is very very fine line. Imagine missing a final from this sh!t.
Yep and you can bet your bottom dollar that a star player will do the same thing in a prelim but the AFL being the AFL will grade it as low impact so they can control the narrative and let the player play. Nothing surer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast James Sicily - Hawthorn captain 2023 - AA 2023!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back