Player Watch Jamie Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who has been frustrated by him this year, I have to admit I saw his game today in a whole new light compared to previously. He's being asked to play a very draining physical role for the team. If he gets rested then Bobby or Ginni need to play as a quasi-KPP.

His ball handling, class and execution is missing this year, but I have zero question marks over his contest work. I think as long as if his contest work is up then Fly would be happy.

He's judged to a different set of standards than our other small/medium forwards.

As someone who has been frustrated by him this year, I have to admit I saw his game today in a whole new light compared to previously. He's being asked to play a very draining physical role for the team. If he gets rested then Bobby or Ginni need to play as a quasi-KPP.

His ball handling, class and execution is missing this year, but I have zero question marks over his contest work. I think as long as if his contest work is up then Fly would be happy.

He's judged to a different set of standards than our other small/medium forwards.
Yep, most of our forwards have struggled the last few weeks, but he and Mihocek are the only ones consistently giving a good contest when the ball isn't clearly to their advantage. (Obviously Beau too, but most of his work has been a bit higher up the ground)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of how beaten up Checkers looked towards the end of last year.

He's been asked to play 3rd tall which isn't helping.

He's a warrior. Would love it if we had the luxury of sending him to Noosa for a few days. He'd very likely refuse the offer.

Reminds me of how beaten up Checkers looked towards the end of last year.

He's been asked to play 3rd tall which isn't helping.

He's a warrior. Would love it if we had the luxury of sending him to Noosa for a few days. He'd very likely refuse the offer.
Is it worth playing him when he is clearly hampered? I'm thinking more about what Geelong did last year and rested some of their sore players throughout the year. But then again, they didn't have the injuries we have this year I Suppose

Is it worth playing him when he is clearly hampered? I'm thinking more about what Geelong did last year and rested some of their sore players throughout the year. But then again, they didn't have the injuries we have this year I Suppose
Unless it makes anything he's carrying worse, it's worth playing him. Our forward line is limp at the moment, he's one of the few cracking in.

Injury and illness have depleted our stocks such that the cupboard is bare. Sidebum got on a flight on his own yesterday and Moore was touch and go with 20 minutes to the first bounce.

Billy fights on. He's what we have.

I agree he is far from his best but whether its just a slump or he's carrying a niggle the guy is a gun. His pressure is still intense and his involvement in getting to a contest and providing another link-up option is elite. He never gives up and I feel he is only one goal away from regaining his mojo and tearing the opposition a new one.

An absolute starter.

It was a dirty night for all of our forwards. Limited opportunities in crappy conditions. Elliott's forward pressure is second only to Beau's. 6 tackles last night, most sprints last week, he is going ok. The goals will come.

I agree with all of this, but I would also add that he seems to be struggling in one-on-one contests at the moment in a way I’ve not observed before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jamie Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back