Jarrad Boumann TO Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

We know he had an infection, but the constant re-circling of that info is what people are questioning.

Every third day it seems that he's had 'another setback'.

I know the duty nurse at the Royal Melbourne, apparently Roughy went out with Johnny Diesel one night, and...

Mods,
Re: Roughead

Is this the type of question that we can ask the HFC Official to put the rumour to bed once and for all?
Perhaps, but Shhhhh has beaten them to the punch.

Check out the 'Shhhhh' thread.

The bit that Shoenmakers is going to be good.

Lisle reminds me a lot of Jade Rawlings? Great hands, not too reliable when it comes to using it.

correct shoe is good.

plus the little general only wants players that are quick of mind and more importantly quick of foot.

He has a plan to beat the press and zones.

He wants to play the counter attack.

He loves the shoe and boumann and doesnt want the LIsle because he wants to have good kicking talls with a turn of speed.

This is so we can counter punch out of deep defense.

Very clever.

also this allows gibson to be third man up and the general ala' scarlett and fletcher dictating our defensive escapes.

How many games do we think Boumann will play? Is he best 22 material with everyone fit?

I think we'll find out a lot over the summer. Fully expect him to play NAB. Personally, I think he may play 6-7 games but a lot will depend on Gilham. If Gilham is 100% for Round 1, I think he may have to bide his time somewhat.

Either way, he will learn a heck of a lot over 12 months, playing purely as a defender. It seems to stifle a player's career when they don't settle on whether he's a Key Forward of Key Back(as per Bulldogs and us with Lisle and Shoe). You can name quite a lot of examples throughout the league.

I'm happy we've stuck with Shoe at CHB and Boumann knows he's the full back waiting in the wings.

By the way, from what I've seen, he doesn't necessarily have to bulk up enormously. He needs a big summer developing his core strength. Our fitness staff will get him there, imo.

How many games do we think Boumann will play? Is he best 22 material with everyone fit?

JBo will be given every opportunity in the preseason/practice games in February/March to make a claim for a senior possie. I have a good feeling about this guy. I think he'll break into the senior line up by round 10 at the latest and will play at least half the season at AFL level. If just one tosser claims 'he ain't ready' I think I may shoot myself to avoid the angst. Methinks Mr S. Gilham will be looking over his shoulder nervously, not that I don't rate the man, but I think he may be fighting for the same spot.

With Lowden and Grimley stepping up (time to show something guys), we may see the Hawthorn team morph into something even greater than what we saw in 2011. The biggest breakthrough for next year I firmly believe will be L. Shiels, as I've said in another post. He's poised to hit the stratosphere alongside the Hodges and Mitchells. Exciting times ahead.

Edit: Just read Hawkzzz response, who got his reply in ahead of me. Great minds obviously think alike. :D

JBo will be given every opportunity in the preseason/practice games in February/March to make a claim for a senior possie. I have a good feeling about this guy. I think he'll break into the senior line up by round 10 at the latest and will play at least half the season at AFL level. If just one tosser claims 'he ain't ready' I think I may shoot myself to avoid the angst. Methinks Mr S. Gilham will be looking over his shoulder nervously, not that I don't rate the man, but I think he may be fighting for the same spot.

With Lowden and Grimley stepping up (time to show something guys), we may see the Hawthorn team morph into something even greater than what we saw in 2011. The biggest breakthrough for next year I firmly believe will be L. Shiels, as I've said in another post. He's poised to hit the stratosphere alongside the Hodges and Mitchells. Exciting times ahead.

Edit: Just read Hawkzzz response, who got his reply in ahead of me. Great minds obviously think alike. :D

I was lucky enough to have a few meetings with Ian Robson in early 2009. Top bloke. (I can confidently say why he left, but I won't). As a side discussion we brought up Liam Shiels. He said the club rated him as a future A grader. It wasn't a surprise he needed more time in the VFL - they didn't want to burn him out. Even though his form dipped in 2010, it wasn't a concern for the club. He is progressing beautifully and they wanted to make sure he plays the Hawthorn way - tough, hard, improve his tackling and a contested ball winner. Expect him to consolidate his consistent form in 2012 and 2013 to show his real potential. (will be worthy of a top 10 pick up)

Another player I will be watching with interest will be one Luke Hodge, as his season was severely hampered by those achilles problems, more than he'd ever let on. Sometimes you could see him just willing himself on, like the amazing combatant he is, but his body just couldn't keep up.

Hopefully with a full preseason and the ability to fully lead by example (as Hodge knows no other way) he may return to a 30 possession, 5 tackle, 2 goals a game midfield elite, which is where he was starting to get back to by the end of the season.

On Jarrad, I think he will be a great pickup, he has blessed height! :p.... with a little bit of work and fine tuning in the off season he could make all the difference, even if he's not clunking CMs, just bringing the ball to ground is a win for us with quality rebounders like Gibson and Birchall.

How will Gibbo's role change with the FB role being locked down by someone else?
Willwe set him up as a loose defender, let him attack more through the middle, or just have him play pretty much the same only on the 2nd/3rd tall?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will hopefully see Gibbo play like he did against Sydney, just running around punching any ball that dare enter his 50m zone into row BB in the stands.

Looking forward to this guy playing a few games for us this year. With the inclusion of Boumann, and a fit Gilham & Stratton, our defensive stocks look much better for 2012.

How will Gibbo's role change with the FB role being locked down by someone else?
Willwe set him up as a loose defender, let him attack more through the middle, or just have him play pretty much the same only on the 2nd/3rd tall?

In my view if we can sure up FB ( gillam) and CHB (shoe/ROUGHY?), without Gibbo or Stratts, we have 2 sweeper 3rd uppers for cover across our defensive 50. Goo plays on a small and with Birch released for more offensive endevours.

Seems a solid back 6 for me.

With Litherland, Cheney, Suckling, Ellis,Poo, Hodge, Burger,Murphy, Boumann et al as coverage and flexibilty I feel we are pretty sorted.:thumbsu:

In my view if we can sure up FB ( gillam) and CHB (shoe/ROUGHY?), without Gibbo or Stratts, we have 2 sweeper 3rd uppers for cover across our defensive 50. Goo plays on a small and with Birch released for more offensive endevours.

With Litherland, Cheney, Suckling, Ellis,Poo, Hodge, Burger,Murphy, Boumann et al as coverage and flexibilty I feel we are pretty sorted.:thumbsu:

Spot on Mr Rioli.

Guerra Gilham Stratton

Birchall Shoe Gibson

If this line up settles and they get some continuity, it will hold us in good stead. We seem to have decent depth to cover for them regarding injuries and for anyone down on form a bit.

I was lucky enough to have a few meetings with Ian Robson in early 2009. Top bloke. (I can confidently say why he left, but I won't).
Come on, your secrets are safe on here. :D

Something to do with the president, maybe?

I've met Jeff at his office as well (Jeff Kennett Pty Ltd if my memory serves me well).

Let me just say that I'm delighted to see Jeff's reign as President come to an end.

I think it will work out something like this:

Guerra/Suckling - Boumann/Gillham - Gibson
Birchall - Schoenmakers/Roughead - Stratton

I have Hale playing full forward and second ruck, Buddy being Buddy, and Gunston as a third tall forward. When Roughead is ready to go, I have him either taking Schoe's spot or Hale's. If both of those guys are killing it, then Roughead comes in as a tall utility who goes where needed, including a lot of time on the ball. Gibson plays the sort of role he played against Sydney in the semi, and Stratton plays a similar role - both are so good at reading the play. With both those guys freed up to play that sweeper/rebounder role, I think our defence will be seriously hard to penetrate. It will also be loaded up with damaging rebounders like Suckling and Birch who can get it quickly to speedy guys like Savage and Shiels.

I think it will work out something like this:

Guerra/Suckling - Boumann/Gillham - Gibson
Birchall - Schoenmakers/Roughead - Stratton

I have Hale playing full forward and second ruck, Buddy being Buddy, and Gunston as a third tall forward. When Roughead is ready to go, I have him either taking Schoe's spot or Hale's. If both of those guys are killing it, then Roughead comes in as a tall utility who goes where needed, including a lot of time on the ball. Gibson plays the sort of role he played against Sydney in the semi, and Stratton plays a similar role - both are so good at reading the play. With both those guys freed up to play that sweeper/rebounder role, I think our defence will be seriously hard to penetrate. It will also be loaded up with damaging rebounders like Suckling and Birch who can get it quickly to speedy guys like Savage and Shiels.

I don't think we can afford to have Birch play off that flank due to his 'one-sidedness'. Teams cottoned onto it in 2010: If you push him against the boundary line, with no right foot, he has to use the outside of his left to bring it back in. He just isn't good at that.

Put him on the other flank, where his left can come across his body if required, & he has options.

Gee that's a good read. That, and we've got genuine depth in the rucks finally as well, this is as deep a list as I reckon there is in the league.
(Knock on wood...)

FB: Puopolo - Boumann - Guerra
HB: Stratton - Gibson - Birchall

I'd prefer to see Poppy up forward in tag team action with Junior. I think they could prove to be the 'terrible twinnies' for opposition backmen as they apply their particular brand of defensive forward play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarrad Boumann TO Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back