Toast Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what can happen when the right player gets an opportunity.

CEY could do similar with an extended run.

CEY is not as consistent as Lyons was at SANFL level. Feel sometimes CEY just isn't positioning himself right in the contest, doesn't stay involved enough for the handball receives and often doesn't go to the right spots on the field. Don't seem to see him taking advantage of his height enough either. I am happy to hold onto him as most these things can get better with time and games, and he has got better at it this year.

CEY is not as consistent as Lyons was at SANFL level. Feel sometimes CEY just isn't positioning himself right in the contest, doesn't stay involved enough for the handball receives and often doesn't go to the right spots on the field. Don't seem to see him taking advantage of his height enough either. I am happy to hold onto him as most these things can get better with time and games, and he has got better at it this year.

How do you define consistent?

CEY, due to his consistency is widely considered one of the favourites for the magarey, so I'm keen to understand what you mean.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-16/the-stats-files-which-mids-make-it-count-on-the-scoreboard

Jarryd Lyons is 5th for midfielders for scoreboard impact, adding 11.9 points per game. Zorko is #1, Robbie Gray 2nd, Tom Scully is 3rd, Dangerfield is 4th and then Lyons.

On the opposite end, Matt Crouch is the worst, only adding 3.1 points per game.
Not comparing apples with apples in a lot of cases there though, Dangerfield, Gray, Zorko, Lyons etc spend way more time playing forward than guys like Thommo, Priddis, Crouch, Neale, Mitchell etc, in fact could legitimately and probably are classed Mid/Forwards.

Just came to me, Lyons perfectly represents a line at the end of the Tom Cruise movie, The Firm. When complaining about not getting the mob guys, Cruise had instead put together a case against their lawyers, he asks the FBI bloke whether he's had a look at what he'd given them. He then says, "it's not sexy, but it's got teeth". That's Lyons I reckon. He makes us a better team, but only because he does lots of good things without a singular outstanding attribute that catches the eye. And we still haven't utilised him to his maximum effectiveness, preferring to let Thommo hog all the stoppage time while hobbling around the ground.

Just came to me, Lyons perfectly represents a line at the end of the Tom Cruise movie, The Firm. When complaining about not getting the mob guys, Cruise had instead put together a case against their lawyers, he asks the FBI bloke whether he's had a look at what he'd given them. He then says, "it's not sexy, but it's got teeth". That's Lyons I reckon. He makes us a better team, but only because he does lots of good things without a singular outstanding attribute that catches the eye. And we still haven't utilised him to his maximum effectiveness, preferring to let Thommo hog all the stoppage time while hobbling around the ground.

Couldn't agree more. He's a bit like Lynch... just that key cog in your machine that doesn't really get the limelight but plays such a crucial, crucial role.

And now we're going to lose him.

An absolute bargain player for the side that picks him up.

Couldn't agree more. He's a bit like Lynch... just that key cog in your machine that doesn't really get the limelight but plays such a crucial, crucial role.

ffs, where does it say we're going to lose him?

Wow. People are so conditioned to expecting our players to leave (understandable I suppose). Lyons has had plenty of opportunities to look for a trade when he was wallowing in the magoos. I highly doubt he will want to now that he is entrenched in the best 22. He wants to stay and the club wants him. Just a matter of finding the right contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're going to lose him are we? OK then.

Not comparing apples with apples in a lot of cases there though, Dangerfield, Gray, Zorko, Lyons etc spend way more time playing forward than guys like Thommo, Priddis, Crouch, Neale, Mitchell etc, in fact could legitimately and probably are classed Mid/Forwards.
"West Coast clearance machine Matt Priddis has barely troubled the scorers (0.2 goals per game, four points scoreboard impact)" Geez, what a complete passenger, no idea why West Coast haven't dumped him!

"News Corp reported on Tuesday the Victorian had been "embarrassed" by a "paltry" contract offer made to him by the Crows and had sought a trade."

Next line says he's still in talks. I wouldn't blame him if he left though. If Mackay gets $400K a year (if, if) he'd should be getting at least that.

But i don't think he will leave. I hope.

Yep - that's when AFC players become a media commodity ... when they are even a slight chance of returning to VIC !!

AFL media, while a Crows player is still under contract: "Jared Lions, he plays for Brisbane doesn't he?"

AFL media, when out of contract: "Jarryd Lyons is an up-and-coming midfielder, averaging 24 touches a game, 3rd highest metres gained in the Adelaide midfield, came from Sandringham Dragons, would be a great fit for St Kilda, Melbourne, Footscray, Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond or Essendon. It will be great to get him home."

Nowhere does it say we are going to lose him.

Vhaluus your large content of posting, constantly attempting to appear knowledgeable and superior, with consistent negative undertones is growing tiresome...

I'm sorry my expression of reality is bringing you down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back