Jason Dunstall Anyone???

Remove this Banner Ad

just not fashionable, certainly the equal of any full forward in the modern era.

If you look at his last season, he kicked 70+ goals on one leg, while missing a stack of games.

out and out champion.

Terry Tan said:
Dunstall - a great FF during his a career, a ******** after retirement.
Could have said it better myself. He's gone down hill since he retired and he aint come back up.

Poor bloke must be really struggling to keep his gigs on Fox Footy :D

Dunstall's new gig Tim Habel 18oct05

CHAMPION Hawthorn full-forward Jason Dunstall is the new chief executive of the Australian Jockeys' Association.

Dunstall's success as interim CEO at Hawthorn last year attracted the attention of AJA chairman Ross Inglis.
"We were looking for a high-profile person with experience in sports administration," Inglis said yesterday.

The former Hawk has part-owned several horses with leading trainer Lee Freedman.

Dunstall's salary for the full-time role will be paid by a yet-to-be-determined fee to be paid by all jockeys.

Part of Dunstall's role will be to raise funds and generate sponsorship to offset the cost of the $1.8 million public liability insurance premium.

Dunstall will be based in Melbourne, but travel interstate to liaise with state bodies.

The AJA has been virtually a silent body with state associations representing jockeys, but Inglis said the emergence of several national issues had created the need for the new role.

"There is a lot of work to do nationally," Inglis said.

"The big-ticket items are public liability insurance, the National Jockeys' Trust, superannuation and jockey welfare issues such as death and disability."

Dunstall could not be contacted last night.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16951634%5E11088,00.html

Mmmmm. 4 Premierships to a combined tally of 2 (both to Carey) from the other 3 players.

Kicked more goals in a game (17) than any of them, whilst still being a team player.

And would have been the leagues record goalkicker if not for the 2 knee injuries suffered in his 30's. He was 80 Goals ahead of Plugger when he did his first knee.

Bugger comparison, I reckon he was better than the 3 mentioned.

Has been a bit of a d1psh1t post football tho. I reckon that has affected public opinion about he onfield efforts.

MadMaxx said:
Mmmmm. 4 Premierships to a combined tally of 2 (both to Carey) from the other 3 players.

Kicked more goals in a game (17) than any of them, whilst still being a team player.

And would have been the leagues record goalkicker if not for the 2 knee injuries suffered in his 30's. He was 80 Goals ahead of Plugger when he did his first knee.

Has been a bit of a d1psh1t post football tho. I reckon that has affected public opinion about he onfield efforts.
I agree, one more season and he would have got it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terry Tan said:
Dunstall - a great FF during his a career, a ******** after retirement.
I'm not sure where you form your opinion of Dunstall. I've always liked him in the media, and has done a could job for hawthorn off the field. Must be doing something right to land a CEO position. Pretty smart cookie.

Dermott however.......

Dunstall was an out and out gun, but not as good as Lockett. Yeah Dunstall had injuries but plugger had more than his fair share too, not to mention suspensions. The other thing is Lockett, for more than half of his career played in ordinary sides so the delivery was nothing like what Dunstall got. I think Dunstall is underrated but he wasn't as good as Plugger.

Lockett kicked double figures 22 times.
Dunstall 16 (2nd all time so that's a great effort in itself)

Lockett kicked 7 goals or more in a game 72 times
Dunstall 58 (also 2nd all time)

They're respective records suggest that they're right up there with the best of all time.

MadMaxx said:

Well said! Dunstall didn't comeback from retirement either.

Bloods said:
Dunstall was an out and out gun, but not as good as Lockett. Yeah Dunstall had injuries but plugger had more than his fair share too, not to mention suspensions. The other thing is Lockett, for more than half of his career played in ordinary sides so the delivery was nothing like what Dunstall got. I think Dunstall is underrated but he wasn't as good as Plugger.

Lockett kicked double figures 22 times.
Dunstall 16 (2nd all time so that's a great effort in itself)

Lockett kicked 7 goals or more in a game 72 times
Dunstall 58 (also 2nd all time)

They're respective records suggest that they're right up there with the best of all time.

Dunstall would always give away goals to teammates in better positions, and do team oriented things like chasing/tackling.

Cost him some goals for sure, AS WELL AS making him the better footballer.

Plugger for mine was awesome to watch, but he was an undisciplined self centered player in the forst half of his career, and only turned into "Tony the likeable" in his last few years @ Sydney.

Question Bloods, what was your opinion of the guy when he ended Peter Cavens career?

Geez you Hawthorn tossers need to get off it...

Dunstall HIMSELF acknowledged he wasn't as good as Lockett - he wasn't as good a kick for goal and he played in a side that was delivering the ball down his throat every week - compare that to what Lockett got out Moorabin in the 80'S???? FFS take off the rose colored glasses!!!

Im not sure but I also think Lockett kicked more goals from less games???????? (stats please)

Either way case closed.

Dunstall was a champion. I rate him ahead of Lockett, simply because I never saw Dunstall lose his cool on the field. He was such a professional. He may have been playing in a better side, but that just means he has more competition in his own side from other players who want to have a shot at goal. The philosophy of the Saints and Swans was basically kick it to Lockett.

Plus when I was on holiday in Victoria in 1996, I went down to Hawks training to get some autographs for my cousin, who is a Hawthorn support. Heaps of players *coughPaulHudsoncough* refused to sign autographs, but Dunstall stood out in the middle of the ground in the freezing cold, poor light, with heaps of people crowded around him signing autographs. It was a pleasure to shake his hand. He probably thought I was a Hawks supporter, and I suppose it would have been a major compliment to tell him I was an Eagles fan, but he was just being so kind to everyone, I figured I'd just get the autograph, shake his hand and let him get on with it so he could get inside.

I'd have to say that I liked Lockett during his career, I admired Carey, I despised Ablett, but Dunstall was my favourite non-Eagle AFL player. I was very disappointed when he missed out on the 92 Brownlow. 145 in a season. Amazing.

cschreuder61 said:
I'm not sure where you form your opinion of Dunstall. I've always liked him in the media, and has done a could job for hawthorn off the field. Must be doing something right to land a CEO position. Pretty smart cookie.

Dermott however.......
agree. Anyone who says he has been cra.p in the media is a ****************.

jorel6669 said:
Dunstall was a champion. I rate him ahead of Lockett, simply because I never saw Dunstall lose his cool on the field. He was such a professional. He may have been playing in a better side, but that just means he has more competition in his own side from other players who want to have a shot at goal. The philosophy of the Saints and Swans was basically kick it to Lockett.

Plus when I was on holiday in Victoria in 1996, I went down to Hawks training to get some autographs for my cousin, who is a Hawthorn support. Heaps of players *coughPaulHudsoncough* refused to sign autographs, but Dunstall stood out in the middle of the ground in the freezing cold, poor light, with heaps of people crowded around him signing autographs. It was a pleasure to shake his hand. He probably thought I was a Hawks supporter, and I suppose it would have been a major compliment to tell him I was an Eagles fan, but he was just being so kind to everyone, I figured I'd just get the autograph, shake his hand and let him get on with it so he could get inside.

I'd have to say that I liked Lockett during his career, I admired Carey, I despised Ablett, but Dunstall was my favourite non-Eagle AFL player. I was very disappointed when he missed out on the 92 Brownlow. 145 in a season. Amazing.
it is sad that "coughPaulHudsoncough" and anyone else who did not sign an autograph for you and that should not have been the case i have not had a problem with that with the lot at the moment crawf is so obliging even when he is ment to go in for a meeting he still stops to sign i hope it does not happen again where a footy player from a club does not sign a autograph as the fans are who in a way pay they wages

We could go on all day.....

Was the this discussion really around "who shared the ball better?" was it Locketts fault his saints/swans coaches employed a "kick it to Lockett" at all costs? Was/is this discussion about "Dunstall was nice to my kids one day ...so he is better???"

Put aside emotion and look at the facts:

1. Lockett played in a side that largely LOST - his goal scoring opportunities are less than Dunstalls (logic tells you that)

2 Steve Silvagni......greatest fullback of the century?????? - only 1 player took him to double figures (10) ....PLUGGER.... (he flogged Dunstall regulalry)

3. AFL's GREATEST ALL TIME GOAL SCORING MACHINE = Lockett.

Game over.

Dunstal - great player, champion, nice guy and I like him in the media (he's honest) but he was not as good as Lockett of that there is no doubt.

sainter35 said:
We could go on all day.....

Was the this discussion really around "who shared the ball better?" was it Locketts fault his saints/swans coaches employed a "kick it to Lockett" at all costs? Was/is this discussion about "Dunstall was nice to my kids one day ...so he is better???"

Put aside emotion and look at the facts:

1. Lockett played in a side that largely LOST - his goal scoring opportunities are less than Dunstalls (logic tells you that)

2 Steve Silvagni......greatest fullback of the century?????? - only 1 player took him to double figures (10) ....PLUGGER.... (he flogged Dunstall regulalry)

3. AFL's GREATEST ALL TIME GOAL SCORING MACHINE = Lockett.

Game over.

Dunstal - great player, champion, nice guy and I like him in the media (he's honest) but he was not as good as Lockett of that there is no doubt.

no one denies pluggers brilliance but basically he played his football like he treats football now. SELFISH.

Kooley said:
no one denies pluggers brilliance but basically he played his football like he treats football now. SELFISH.

True...but Im not answering "who is more selfish"

1 to 1 as a genuine goal scoing machine Plugger wins hands down (Dunstall was/is extremely underrated by the way....a freak also).....it was a time when we footy goers were truly blessed... :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Dunstall Anyone???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back