Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

Not sure why he wouldn't want to join Adelaide if being back in SA is the main issue. Adelaide are not any further off than Port. In fact, I'd say that Adelaide have a better idea of where they are and what they are building towards, rather than Port who are in no man's land. Not crap enough to bottom out but not good enough to properly contend for a premiership.
I'd argue that despite Ken's best efforts, we've got a good young core to move forward on. Key defenders and settling on a ruckman to take over Lycett the main issues.
- Adding JHF to a on ball rotation on Wines, Rozee, Butters, and Drew is plenty good.
  • Plenty of small to mid defensive options that can rotate through mids if needed
  • Outside run like Duursma and Farrell.
  • Tall forwards built around Marshall and Georgiades with Finlayson the 3rd option
  • Small forwards are needed, Powell Pepper is excellent, but Rioli is a risk and Fantasia needs to prove some durability.

That’s still a weak draft. That a few players went in a draft doesn’t counter my point, and certainly when the relevant part of the draft is the area they were picking

Ie pick 3
10 taken in the first round played over 200 games

And then there was Rioli who retired after 180

6 became premiership players

5 were All Australians

2 were Brownlow medalists

At least 4 will automatically go into the AFL Hall of Fame, maybe more

I think that's a pretty good first round

Definitely not what I'd call weak

Trade him to Adelaide. It’s close enough.

It's not how trading works and you'd get less out of them than us. They're more ruthless than us at the trade table and they don't have as much currency taking into account Rankine. You won't get anyone of value from them. Thiltorpe, Rachelle, Butts - think again. Their best players are aging stars or young guns that are untouchable. Rachele was a top 5 pick in the same draft and was better than JHF this year. If by some miracle North could convince Rachele to come to North and Adelaide to part with him, it would be a straight swap.

You have tried to lure players in contract for years. If he wants to come to Port he'll end up at Port. The only question is whether you want it to be for 2.5 firsts this year or 1 first next year.
The deal will get done. All big talk from both parties. In the end will be the two first rounders plus a little extra.. won’t be a young player or star and won’t be a pick in the 80s.

North can’t afford to keep him to his contract

Sinn is the perfect player to be involved in this trade.

I was quite shocked that Port took him tbh. Xavier College, Brighton, Sandy Dragon boy - well entrenched in the Melbourne private school bubble.

He will be swooped up by a big Melbourne club in a couple years if not IMO.

You have tried to lure players in contract for years. If he wants to come to Port he'll end up at Port. The only question is whether you want it to be for 2.5 firsts this year or 1 first next year.
100% we have, and I have always expected us to pay the price if need be for the premium of an in contract player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarranto was pick 2 and has been a gun almost from day 1. Pick 12 and 19. Still only 24 so you get the bulk of his best years. Only further illustrates that 2 firsts and change is fair.
I’m not sure that the Taranto comparison holds water, because by 24 your draft number really doesn’t matter.

I was quite shocked that Port took him tbh. Xavier College, Brighton, Sandy Dragon boy - well entrenched in the Melbourne private school bubble.

1- doesn’t want to go to north
2- is happy at port
3- port have said today it won’t happen

Dumb to keep talking about it. Getting to the stage west coast fans and their georgiades trade scenarios

Port Adelaide gave up currency to move up.in the draft to take him

He's already signed an extension within months of being there

Might be perfect for North, but not Port who clearly rate him highly and he likes the place enough to extend his contract so early

If North could somehow talk the kid into going there (unlikley) then they won't get two firsts on top

2- is happy at port

Dumb to keep talking about it. Getting to the stage west coast fans and their georgiades trade scenarios
A pity Freo isn't chasing Mitch Georgiades.

He would be in freos best 22 or 23

2- is happy at port

Look I wouldn’t expect you to understand, but there’s a reason why the Adelaide clubs don’t burn early picks on those types.

Sinn will 100% be at a Victorian club in a couple years. Which is why I think it makes sense to do it now.

I assume this is your take on what happened with Dangerfield when he was first drafted - stayed in Vic to complete Year 12 then went to Adelaide for his second year.

But... y tho? If you're going to trade him in 12 months anyway, wouldn't you just get it done before his value drops any further? It would be an incredibly salty thing to do if the only motivation is to prevent him playing for anyone else.

You'd have to be pretty confident that the reasons for needing to be in SA were temporary and would be resolved by the end of next year, with the kid committed to staying after that – which would mean a contract extension.

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem
This kid is Dangerfield good and entered the draft - so committed to a 2 year deal. North have no obligation to trade him. But they do have an obligation to take care of him.

This way they can do both at once.

My question is this: what's the value of pick 9 from Port this year?

Because if Port really only offer pick 9 and a future first and you can get the future first next year anyway, then I'm giving up pick 9 to take a chance on him staying. He's too good to just cash in.

North are every chance to change his mind if Clarko (or someone else half competent) gets some clean air and the team heads in the right direction.

Look I wouldn’t expect you to understand, but there’s a reason why the Adelaide clubs don’t burn early picks on those types.

Sinn will 100% be at a Victorian club in a couple years. Which is why I think it makes sense to do it now.
In the days before last years draft Sinn was interviewed and was very open about how he really hoped that he'd end up at Port. Don't think he's now going to jump at the first opportunity to end up in Victoria.

The deal will get done. All big talk from both parties. In the end will be the two first rounders plus a little extra.. won’t be a young player or star and won’t be a pick in the 80s.

North can’t afford to keep him to his contract

Why not?

They have another pick 1 this year. And most likely another pick 1 next year.

Plus whatever they get for him next year in a trade. Plus an extra year of service that might change his mind if they start winning.

You've never heard Sinn talking about Port have you? The kid is a full on nuffie for Port.

He signed a contract nearly as soon as he got here.
Good that he has a loyal bone in his body (more that can be said for others). Was raised well.

Doesn’t change anything from my perspective though, he will always be a flight risk for Port & is the perfect player to unlock this trade IMO.

I know I know, you guys only want to trade Bonner or Hayes!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back