Universal Love Jed Anderson ...and his contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it the missed tackles, fumbles or kicks that missed the target that caught your eye?

Him standing still when we were struggling to come out of defence. There was space to run into but he made no effort. If he's in the side for his run (speed and endurance) then he should use it. Because there is someone else that will have a much bigger impact and is ready to go: Jed.

You obviously were not at the game & watched it on TV

I'm pretty sure the fumbles, missed tackles and missed targets happened regardless of medium in which the game was enjoyed. I understand that he runs into space to create options but when that is his asset I don't see 12 disposals as being anywhere near enough.

I'm pretty sure the fumbles, missed tackles and missed targets happened regardless of medium in which the game was enjoyed. I understand that he runs into space to create options but when that is his asset I don't see 12 disposals as being anywhere near enough.

Nah, mate, go to a game.
If he was so bad, why are the coaches keeping in the team?

At the ground you see the full picture. You will see Hill running, leading, dragging opponents with him. He'll lead out, run back, and lead again.
He doesn't often get rewarded, but he uses his huge tank to keep running.

Kicked a nice goal, too.

Watch it live and understand what's happening.

Is he that quick?

I would have thought he was just normally paced.

from article on Hawthorn website during the week http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2013-08-23/roo-pace-no-concern-for-hawks 'Rather than be concerned about the pace of his team’s opposition this week though, Bailey opted to concentrate on the pace in the Hawthorn side.
From Cyril Rioli to Bradley Hill to Isaac Smith and now Jed Anderson, the Hawks too have a number of quick and damaging players.'

I've been to 3 of the 4 games live that he has played at AFL level and watched him pretty closely. I would say he is reasonably quick (definitely not his quick as Cyril though), probably doesn't have the tank of Hill, but he has Hill & Savage both covered with his inside work, hardness at the man and contest, tackling skills and I would also say he also has both covered in terms of his kicking ability. Yes I know Savage isn't a bad kick for goal, but have you noticed his passes into the forward line, he generally kicks skyscraper bombs that give our forwards no chance at all to mark it.

We need Jed's all around game (speed, hardness and skill) when the heat comes on in September, He is the type of player that stands up in finals

In terms of speed, he is a lot quicker than most of our usual mids (i.e Sewell, Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge etc) He is reasonably quick and can probably play either as an inside or outside mid.
Did you watch him close down and spoil the mark from that North kick in yesterday, he covered a fair bit of ground fairly quickly or did you only watch it on TV?

He has more strings to his bow than either Savage or Hill, nothing against either of them, but someone has to make way to keep Jed in the team.
Savage has been okay for the last month, but personally I would play Jed in the 21, play Hill as the sub and leave Savage out.

Nah, mate, go to a game.
If he was so bad, why are the coaches keeping in the team?

At the ground you see the full picture. You will see Hill running, leading, dragging opponents with him. He'll lead out, run back, and lead again.
He doesn't often get rewarded, but he uses his huge tank to keep running.

Kicked a nice goal, too.

Watch it live and understand what's happening.

LOL yesterday was the first game I have missed in Melbourne all year.. I really like Hilly, I think he has a big future.. but he has a LONG way to go!! at the moment he is 10% chance of winning a ball in dispute on the wing, which is why he is not always rewarded for his lead. If he is not out in 20m of space I wouldn't kick it to him either. Finals footy is one on one footy... contested footy.. I would rather a bloke who is going to crack in at the coalface that a light runner type all day long..

If you are going to be a "runner" only your disposal needs to be elite... Hilly's floater from 40m that Rough marked in front of the point post was far from elite.. his handball turnover in the middle of the ground also showed a lack of composure. Again I am a big Hill fan and I think he has a lot to offer in the future but his weaknesses will be exposed in finals where the game changes.

He has more strings to his bow than either Savage or Hill, nothing against either of them, but someone has to make way to keep Jed in the team.
Savage has been okay for the last month, but personally I would play Jed in the 21, play Hill as the sub and leave Savage out.

Hill is a more creative player but Savage is quicker, has better hands, is harder at the contest, stronger overhead and can tackle. Finals is a different beast and we need players who are prepared to get their hands dirty.

Hill is a more creative player but Savage is quicker...

Don't think so..at least not on 20M times I've een.

You traditionally want a sub to play outside and break lines late in a game. That's been one of Hill's few strengths this season but he's certainly has that aspect all over Savage. Personally I would want Hill's fresh legs in a last quarter dog fight ahead of Sav's any day of the (GF) week.

Get the feeling a few times coming out of roos defence on Saturday 1 on 1s involving Hill were a target and think its a pretty smart choice by opposition to isolate him 1 on 1 with some physical contact, if he gets a run on once it hits the ground he is a good chance as long he has no body on body otherwise he struggles a little.. On the other hand he does do a lot of running to make the play going forward and space and drag guys that have no choice but to go with him..

Don't think so..at least not on 20M times I've een.

You traditionally want a sub to play outside and break lines late in a game. That's been one of Hill's few strengths this season but he's certainly has that aspect all over Savage. Personally I would want Hill's fresh legs in a last quarter dog fight ahead of Sav's any day of the (GF) week.

Ok, maybe you got me there. In isolated testing he may be Haile Gebrselassie.

My point on leg speed was Hill is young and needs to develop his anaerobic endurance. He is a great athlete but with the added physicality of AFL football he does his dash and then struggles to perform at a high output with the strength required... This does make him more suited to the sub role but I worry about him being exposed in a tough final.

Hill is a more creative player but Savage is quicker, has better hands, is harder at the contest, stronger overhead and can tackle. Finals is a different beast and we need players who are prepared to get their hands dirty.

Agree with that, but you also need to have enough pace to spread and negate the opposition's spread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude, Hill had a disposal efficiency of 75% on Saturday. Team average = 69%, Jed = 69%. And I was at the game, used the ball wonderfully.

I love this thread for the simple fact that we now have another guy in the mix who can legitimately come in and be a factor come september. To think that we have Lewis and Poppy to come in guaranteed, plus Simpkin as well, with Ossie as a complete smokey. And there is probably someone I have forgotten. Much better placed than this time last year.

I love this thread for the simple fact that we now have another guy in the mix who can legitimately come in and be a factor come september. To think that we have Lewis and Poppy to come in guaranteed, plus Simpkin as well, with Ossie as a complete smokey. And there is probably someone I have forgotten. Much better placed than this time last year.

Hopefullly a fit Shiels, although I know he was selected.

Dureya

Was it the missed tackles, fumbles or kicks that missed the target that caught your eye?

Its funny watching people's opinions on Hill this year. Early on in the year I was impressed with his form, but I had my doubts about him being able to play finals, but I would have been shot for suggesting it on any forums at the time, as people tend to get over-excited with young players and ignore their faults. The opposite seems to happen with more senior players, and people seem to hone in on their errors and ignore what they bring to the table. Guys like Sewell, Burgoyne, Guerra, etc tend to get very un-rated as a result.

Hill seems to have been in the side so long that its swung around, and people are over him as an up and coming youngster, and now he's out of fashion and are really focusing on his weaknesses, as Anderson is the new flavour of the month (he was very very promising, but if you judged him as a senior player he also made some mistakes and isn't in an ideal place for a finals spot) Again, I'm not sure Hill is absolutely ideal for finals and he may or may not get squeezed out, but he still offers some very important things when he is out there.

I was impressed he managed to come on and have an impact and provide run and an option all day in a very hostile finals like environment. He provided some handy line breaking work at times, and was involved in an important goal. Also worked to create space and an option all game. He made some mistakes, but again judging him as a second year player I was as happy with his efforts as earlier in the season, and he is doing really well. Brilliant addition to our squad and is coming along beautifully.

Ideally he'd be in year 4 or 5, not year 2, so with Puopolo and Lewis to come back in he'd definitely be borderline to make it given his inexperience, he's still a kid. I would say though we looked a better team when he came on and provided run than when he was sitting on the bench, despite the fact he made a couple of errors under pressure in a game that would have been as hotly contested as any for the season.

Its funny watching people's opinions on Hill this year. Early on in the year I was impressed with his form, but I had my doubts about him being able to play finals, but I would have been shot for suggesting it on any forums at the time, as people tend to get over-excited with young players and ignore their faults. The opposite seems to happen with more senior players, and people seem to hone in on their errors and ignore what they bring to the table. Guys like Sewell, Burgoyne, Guerra, etc tend to get very un-rated as a result.

Hill seems to have been in the side so long that its swung around, and people are over him as an up and coming youngster, and now he's out of fashion and are really focusing on his weaknesses, as Anderson is the new flavour of the month (he was very very promising, but if you judged him as a senior player he also made some mistakes and isn't in an ideal place for a finals spot) Again, I'm not sure Hill is absolutely ideal for finals and he may or may not get squeezed out, but he still offers some very important things when he is out there.

I was impressed he managed to come on and have an impact and provide run and an option all day in a very hostile finals like environment. He provided some handy line breaking work at times, and was involved in an important goal. Also worked to create space and an option all game. He made some mistakes, but again judging him as a second year player I was as happy with his efforts as earlier in the season, and he is doing really well. Brilliant addition to our squad and is coming along beautifully.

Ideally he'd be in year 4 or 5, not year 2, so with Puopolo and Lewis to come back in he'd definitely be borderline to make it given his inexperience, he's still a kid. I would say though we looked a better team when he came on and provided run than when he was sitting on the bench, despite the fact he made a couple of errors under pressure in a game that would have been as hotly contested as any for the season.

I agree with most of what you have said here.. I just think Hilly is a little out of form at the minute, confidence down a little. As a result he is a bit fumbly and his disposal is not what it was early in the year. Having a quick look at his stats he kicked 10 goals in his first 11 or 12 games of the year and 4 since. I'm sure his assist stats would be down also... For me if you are an outside player and you are not either racking up 22+ per game or being Cyril like with your I50's creating scores then you are not doing enough.

I don't think that's fair.......everyone on here still knows he's a kid, we are just concerned for the team because he does have obvious weaknesses that can be seriously exploited come finals time.
At the start of the year, I noticed those weaknesses," can't speak for everybody else" but we still needed to blood youth and outside runners....so it was ignored, as each week passed by his weaknesses became more glaring.

Now on the weekend I sat on the 3rd level instead of the 1st level for the first time this year, didn't pre book a ticket under my AFL membership. I got to see the team from a different view point (bigger picture).
I have changed my tune regarding Hill he is definitely needed, he has to play. We severely lacked run untill he came onto the ground. You take Birchall and Smith out of the game, you basically kill our run. Birchall was tagged out of the game, Smith was following Harvey. It was no coincidence that when Hill came onto the ground mid way through the second that our run improved. I watched him closely, the amount of gut running this kid does presenting himself from contest to contest is undeniable....the flow on effect regrading Smith leaves him with less pressure, he started to run off Harvey a bit more, we looked more balanced, Hill also forces his opponents to run with him which provides us with space and less congestion, he also presents as an outlet to our ball carrier consistently. (even though he's not used)
Hill may be exploited come finals time but by Hill not playing it has a flow on effect on other players, the team and ball movement which is far greater than the weaknesses of Hill.
Here's hoping someone sticks a rocket up his ar*se come finals time..........

...My point on leg speed was Hill is young and needs to develop his anaerobic endurance...

Hill was also top of the 3KM time trial at the 2011 Draft - 9:52 - that's lightening quick and ceratinly underlines a tremendous aerobic capacity.

That said he has a lot of weaknesses physically and I haven't been a fan all year either. However I simply think that both Hill and Anderson need to play in the best 22 - Savage looks the one to go out on that basis.

Hill was also top of the 3KM time trial at the 2011 Draft - 9:52 - that's lightening quick and ceratinly underlines a tremendous aerobic capacity.

That said he has a lot of weaknesses physically and I haven't been a fan all year either. However I simply think that both Hill and Anderson need to play in the best 22 - Savage looks the one to go out on that basis.

I think Savage offers more than Hill in a finals level pressure game. In my opinion they are comparable in terms of defensive pressure but Savage is more composed with the ball in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Jed Anderson ...and his contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back