Universal Love Jed Anderson ...and his contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Ridiculous call. I'm not saying he wont be, but c'mon.

Anyway, I won't be surprised if he isn't in the side next week. I'd say the selectors had him in this week (and Spangher) to get a look at our depth if we have any injuries in the finals. He'll be part of future plans for sure, but for this finals campaign, the more experienced players will get the nod.

That was a fantastic tackle though. All night I'd been lamenting how easy the Sydney mids were able to free their arms in our tackles and dispose of the ball, especially Kennedy.
Anderson stuck it beautifully.

The kid is built for finals footy. The hardness at the ball and the strength of his tackles are exactly what you need in a ferocious finals game. Next week the intensity will increase again and if players are only going to put half arsed tackles on players they're going to be found out. Will stay in, no doubts about it.

His tackle on Kennedy was the highlight of the game for mine. Given that I was yelling at the TV moments earlier due to so many missed tackles I stood up and applauded when he not only stuck the tackle, but won the free kick. Converting the kick was a bonus

Can anyone put up footage of his tackle and goal? I've been raving to my 5 yo about it (he was asleep and missed it) and he's disappointed it wasn't included in the AFL highlights video ( go figure!). Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is all about what is happening above the shoulders. Kids like Jed, Cyril, in their 1st year of AFL are/were laying effective tackles on bigger bodies. That is instinct. I am not sold on arguments that others (like Hill) are still young, not heavy, yada, yada, yada. Get Hill to spend the pre-season with Melbourne Storms and do some serious tackling training. Hope this will help and we see more commitment in his defensive efforts in future.
Jed will be some player, hope he features in the finals.

Can anyone put up footage of his tackle and goal? I've been raving to my 5 yo about it (he was asleep and missed it) and he's disappointed it wasn't included in the AFL highlights video ( go figure!). Thanks.

There is footage up on the Hawks website now!

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2013-09-02/rnd23-jed-tackles-and-goals

There you go.

Great thing about the tackle was Anderson kicked it into the forward 50 (smothered I think), Kennedy gets it from Malcieski and tries to brush Jed off or side step him and Jed spears him around the waist. That would be it for most 19y.o in the comp, but Jed is quick enough to realise that Kennedy has a free arm to handball so he latches onto that with his free hand and latches on strong enough with both Hands that Kennedy can't do jack about it.. You can't teach half of that and it is that stuff that goes some way to making good players great.

The kid is tough, cool under pressure, skilled and very smart on a footy field. I want him playing finals regardless of experience. Clubs normally shy away from younger, smaller players for fear of the freezing up in big finals or their defensive efforts being shown up against the bigger bodies. He has taken on and beaten two of the bigger mids (both have height and 20kg weight advantage over Jed) in the game and kicked a clutch goal with his second or third kick for the game. Finals won't bother his type, he is a rare sort, much like Cyril, when it comes to that sort of thing. Throw him in there.

There you go.

Great thing about the tackle was Anderson kicked it into the forward 50 (smothered I think), Kennedy gets it from Malcieski and tries to brush Jed off or side step him and Jed spears him around the waist. That would be it for most 19y.o in the comp, but Jed is quick enough to realise that Kennedy has a free arm to handball so he latches onto that with his free hand and latches on strong enough with both Hands that Kennedy can't do jack about it.. You can't teach half of that and it is that stuff that goes some way to making good players great.

The kid is tough, cool under pressure, skilled and very smart on a footy field. I want him playing finals regardless of experience. Clubs normally shy away from younger, smaller players for fear of the freezing up in big finals or their defensive efforts being shown up against the bigger bodies. He has taken on and beaten to of the bigger mids (both have height and 20kg weight advantage over Jed) in the game and kicked a clutch goal with his second or third kick for the game. Finals won't bother his type, he is a rare sort, much like Cyril, when it comes to that sort of thing. Throw him in there.

Kennedy's no weakling, either. To not be able to break that tackle shows how strong Jed must be already.

Th

There you go.

The kid is tough, cool under pressure, skilled and very smart on a footy field. I want him playing finals regardless of experience. Clubs normally shy away from younger, smaller players for fear of the freezing up in big finals or their defensive efforts being shown up against the bigger bodies. He has taken on and beaten two of the bigger mids (both have height and 20kg weight advantage over Jed) in the game and kicked a clutch goal with his second or third kick for the game. Finals won't bother his type, he is a rare sort, much like Cyril, when it comes to that sort of thing. Throw him in there.[/quote
Thanks!!!!

Lets remember that Jed was an integral part of the Thunder side that won the NEAFL and QAFL finals (all in the same year) a couple of years ago. Although not the same league, its impressive - he is a natural big game player.

565917-jed-anderson.jpg

222881-afl-crows-v-hawthorn.jpg

119076-taylor-duryea.jpg

842952-hawthorn-v-gold-coast.jpg

Future definitely bright.

But gee, Anderson is going to lead it all.

Bloody hard nut who has already crunched both Selwood and Pendlebury this year, can kick goals, lay tackles has a good leap, good endurance apparently but most importantly he is apparently a clearance nut.

Can't wait to see more of Jed, what a star!

Yes "hard nut" perfect for Hawthorn. I like that description.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Jed Anderson ...and his contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back