List Mgmt. Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the sentiment (and I'm probably contradicting myself from a few posts earlier), but it doesn't always work out as sweet as it did with Varcoe.

I'm happy to get Howe, as I've seen what he can do. If Hine thinks his talent is good enough for the team, and if the development and coaching staff think they can get the best out of him more often, then I'm all for it, but only then.

Also, the price must be right. If we pay any more than 450k, I'd be pretty disappointed.
Well Greenwood's only on 400k so I doubt we'll be paying Howe any more than that.

Difference is Varcoe had actually showen he can go a couple years without going missing.
Varcoe would play amazing games every third week and in between that he'd go from being bog average to poor. The talent was there, we all knew that, but everyone was worried that we'd just have another inconsistent player who was special once in a blue moon.

His development this year has been all about consistency - closing that gap between his best and worst footy. I don't believe we've seen Varcoe's best football yet. He's played better matches at Geelong, but he's had his best season at Collingwood.

No reason why we can't help Howe achieve the same feat.

Well Greenwood's only on 400k so I doubt we'll be paying Howe any more than that.
Agreed. I'd say that's why we're meeting with him. To let him know we're keen but he's gonna need to prove himself first if he wants the 600 he thinks he's worth. I'd imagine 350 per year for two or three years would be the deal, but a trigger clause to move it up to 400 if he produces good form consistently.

Jamie did look unhappy this year and always says he wants to play more midfield so maybe Howe has some source to joining the pies.

See, this is what I don't get.

If we are seriously contemplating paying that much for someone like Howe, I would rather have spent the money to meet Freeman's demands. He has far more value to give than Howe ever will. We seem to go crazy on what we are prepared to pay for dross from other clubs then skimp on our own. Madness.
The difference is Freeman has never played a game and is no guarantee to have a meaningful career.Freeman's contract after incentives would have been around the mark anyway if reports are to be believed, he just didn't back himself in to meet the hurdles.

With Howe I think people are seriously underrating how hard it is to perform in a team that has been consistently as bad has Melbourne have been. I agree the proof is in performances but think given what he's been working with and the type of player he is, his 2013 form suggests he's good enough to be worth that kind of coin.

In a perennially bad team he's been far from terrible and shown glimpses of very good. His attributes would compliment our current forward structure nicely.

Let's not forget that once the CBA is through 350-400 will likely only be a touch above average wage.

Varcoe would play amazing games every third week and in between that he'd go from being bog average to poor. The talent was there, we all knew that, but everyone was worried that we'd just have another inconsistent player who was special once in a blue moon.

Not in 2010-11.

Wil he, or is he better than Jesse soft campaigner White?
Jesse showed little in a good team. I'd argue Howe's 2013 was better than anything White produced in his career and did it in a terrible team.

Others may argue but I think circumstances around the two are different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Popular opinion is that he has had a poor year this year. Yet, would he not be an upgrade on Toovey?
Player Statistics Comparison

Jeremy Howe Name Alan Toovey
Defender Position Defender
100 Career Games 151
25yr 2mth Age 28yr 6mth
190cm Height 189cm
86kg Weight 89kg
2015 Stats for Season 2015
22 Games 20
9 Kicks Per Game 5.4
5.2 Handballs Per Game 6
14.2 Disposals Per Game 11.5
5 Marks Per Game 2.4
0.4 Goals Per Game 0
0.5 Behinds Per Game 0
2.6 Tackles Per Game 3.8
Inside 50s Per Game 0.6
0.2 Goal Assists Per Game 0
0.8 Frees For Per Game 0.6
0.6 Frees Against Per Game 0.6
5 Contested Possessions Per Game 5.4
Uncontested Possessions Per Game 6.2
11 Effective Disposals Per Game 8
77.50% Effective Disposals % Per Game 69.60%
1.5 Clangers Per Game 1.8
1.1 Contested Marks Per Game
0.7 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0
2.2 One Percenters Per Game 3.8
0.4 Bounces Per Game 0.2

Howe is a good player and he's generally under-rated imo. He has real utility value and can do it at both ends. Be a decent addition to the list. Replacement for Goldsack/Macaffer/Toovey?

If we are recruiting Howe it is as a forward.

I can't, and don't want to see him being selected ahead of Marsh, Frost, Scharenberg, Langdon, Maynard or Ramsay, all who show potential much higher then Howe has ever shown down back.

I'm neither for or against getting Howe, I just don't see him helping us much, but if we get him cheap he adds depth to our list at least.

It really is "Nat fyfe" please otherwise not good enough in here isnt it...
Honestly though we went through this last year... we want Aish/redden/ etc ended up with Crisp. (who the hell is Crisp last year).
If the Club wants him then theres a reason behind it. Honestly he can play back and forward so it wouldn't be the worst switching him and Reid between the arcs.

Just get him you can't deny the talent , I would imagine all the negative posters would get on his bandwagon when were all screaming " Hooooooooooooooooowwwwweeeee did he do that". Will add excitement to the forward line and put bums on seats

If we are recruiting Howe it is as a forward.

I can't, and don't want to see him being selected ahead of Marsh, Frost, Scharenberg, Langdon, Maynard or Ramsay, all who show potential much higher then Howe has ever shown down back.

I'm neither for or against getting Howe, I just don't see him helping us much, but if we get him cheap he adds depth to our list at least.

Agree - He be a Forward IF we do get him. Be wasting his Talent and playing him ahead of Better Options down back in Marsh,Schranberg and Maynard

Anyone who thinks we'd be picking him up for a song are deluded.

We'd be paying overs.

Would rather save the cap space for an actual upgrade on Jesse White, not a sidegrade.

Geez a few ridiculous comments writing him off as an average player.

He's played some very good footy at Melbourne over the past few years, albeit a bit inconsistent. Who can blame him when you're stuck in that sort of environment.

I reckon he would thrive with us, and the way forward lines are moving (more mobile), he is the perfect addition. Very happy to part with the Freeman pick/pay him 400-450k

Geez a few ridiculous comments writing him off as an average player.

He's played some very good footy at Melbourne over the past few years, albeit a bit inconsistent. Who can blame him when you're stuck in that sort of environment.

I reckon he would thrive with us, and the way forward lines are moving (more mobile), he is the perfect addition. Very happy to part with the Freeman pick/pay him 400-450k

Blair is a very average player too yet he's also played some very good games in his career... What exactly does Howe offer that we don't have? Other than taking hangers what does he offer? It's not like he actually kicks goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back