Player Watch Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Snake Baker says hi
Good on him, I didn't mind Snake but what the **** has a 1970's Norf FF got to do with anything here?

Frank Gumbleton says "Hi" back.

I think Howe is worth the punt
Facts are when he played forward with Dees he was unfortunately getting supply from the worst midfield in the comp with the most negative defensive game plan in the comp..
I like what Bucks is thinking with playing him on a wing because 1 out he is a hell of a handful in the air but he needs to work on the tank hard..
We havn't had a marking option out there since Gavin Brown

We didn't see enough, but it's not as if those in charge didn't watch the VFL.

I don't know man, don't snap at me for saying this, but I think the jury is still out on Kenno and we might just be wrong about him yet.
Could thrive in a different environment with more opportunity to improve his game at AFL level. We won't care, he may never have made it at Collingwood for all we know, but watch this space.

Disagree. But love the way you put your nuts on the line.

Won't stop me, however, from cutting them off with a Dermott Brereton strut.
I hope I'm wrong and all our players are guns and we win 5 flags. Unfortunately I think we are miles off it. WSe will improve over the next 2 years but then we will be a fair bit short of winning a flag and with no top end draftees over the preceding 2 years.

According to the herald sun he will only be on 350k for 3 years with a trigger for a 4th. Much lower money than I expected.

Article hints he had bigger offers in front of him too

I have stood back and that's why I can smell them. Broomhead is on a par with Seedsman. Adams can't kick. We don't have Treloar or Aish yet and if we get them we won't draft top end talent for 2 years. Moore I really like the look of and Grundy will be a good long term ruckman. Not sure how good but good enough. Varcoe is hardly young. Scharenburg has hardly played and frankly shown nothing. Hopefully he lives up to his draft position. Some do and some don't. There is no evidence for at this point. Most of the others have a hell of along way to go to and none are top end short of massive development. Langdon as I said will be solid at worst but he hasn't got any real spark to his game. Crisp is a solid player. There are plenty of them around. Cox hasn't even played a game. I do like the look of Marsh and, to a degree, Maynard but the former needs polish and the latter has a lot of development to do to make it. History says a few of those names won't make it. Hopefully most do but there simply isn't the top end talent.

Look, it's a decent list but it has cost us dearly and it is not capable of winning a flag IMO, which was the point of the rebuild and the inherent danger in the strategy.
What were the odds of the 2008/2009 list winning a flag in the next couple of years?
Daisy may still have been a highlight reel. N Brown was a pup, Reid was ok, Dawes wasn't much, Maxy was still copping it from those who couldn't believe he had the captaincy, L Brown was getting whipped by the supporters, it goes on.
We make some massive calls in here. Should have a look at the Varcoe threads from last year's trade period. A few were talking about it being a downgrade on Lumumba, being disasterous and I read a post before (can't remember who) saying that Varcoe's form this year was a miracle. We tend to go very early with predictions. I wouldn't write off this list or Howe just yet.

Port must be laughing at this trade, they've given up literally nothing for a former pick 4.

We should've got a better pick back in return for giving up Kennedy and Seedsman

I think too many people get a little too critical when it comes to players. Inevitably people look at hawthorn and geelong as comparisons and how they seem to nail alot of talent. You have to actually remember that no ones perfect and both of those teams have had huge misses as well. I'll give it to the hawks they trade well but there draftings got some horror stories as well (thorp/ellis/muston over pendles/selwood/Kennedy.

Either way we've got better options than Seedsman, dont get me wrong the kid can play but goes missing alot of the time as well. If he was 20 you can forgive that but 5th season in and he cant hold down a position against 18-20 yrs olds. He needs to move on and we couldnt just keep him there as backup while hes got currency. Ben's just been unlucky TBH, hes got the brain and the skills. He lacks the height and poise for AFL. Thats not really his fault either, the sub rule killed his career at the pies. You cant develop when you play 30% of a game a week for weeks on end. Which inevitably lead to him being dropped, promoted a few weeks later and the cycle repeats itself. A victim of circumstances. You also have to remember that 2012 was a shallow draft, the obvious miss there was Stewart.

I think Howe will be a good addition to our fwd setup. The fact that hes not the number one target up fwd means he can actually apply his trade to the best of his ability. You have to remember that melb is/was a basket case without a fwd line. Yes Hogan was there this year but they choose to play howe at the backend. With Trav/ white up there he'll be able to hit those packs for those big marks. If you watch some of his earlier highlights you'll see him being double and triple teamed alot of the time. Its going to be nice to see him line up behind a pack and go for it, it'll mean that the third man up against Trav's going to have to be wary of the high flyer. But time will tell, he may not even play that role. Plus he's durable and and swing back if needed, just gives us the option to throwing reid fwd for a qtr or so.

I don't know man, don't snap at me for saying this, but I think the jury is still out on Kenno and we might just be wrong about him yet.
Could thrive in a different environment with more opportunity to improve his game at AFL level. We won't care, he may never have made it at Collingwood for all we know, but watch this space.

If you search back you'll find I backed Kennedy from the get go. Also a fan of Seedsman.

Not yet convinced Howe is worth the two of them, but I'm confident Buckley needs Howe more than both of them to make Collingwood competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you search back you'll find I backed Kennedy from the get go. Also a fan of Seedsman.

Not yet convinced Howe is worth the two of them, but I'm confident Buckley needs Howe more than both of them to make Collingwood competitive.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Two good players, but they don't fill a need in the current squad and style of play.

I have stood back and that's why I can smell them. Broomhead is on a par with Seedsman. Adams can't kick. We don't have Treloar or Aish yet and if we get them we won't draft top end talent for 2 years. Moore I really like the look of and Grundy will be a good long term ruckman. Not sure how good but good enough. Varcoe is hardly young. Scharenburg has hardly played and frankly shown nothing. Hopefully he lives up to his draft position. Some do and some don't. There is no evidence for at this point. Most of the others have a hell of along way to go to and none are top end short of massive development. Langdon as I said will be solid at worst but he hasn't got any real spark to his game. Crisp is a solid player. There are plenty of them around. Cox hasn't even played a game. I do like the look of Marsh and, to a degree, Maynard but the former needs polish and the latter has a lot of development to do to make it. History says a few of those names won't make it. Hopefully most do but there simply isn't the top end talent.

Look, it's a decent list but it has cost us dearly and it is not capable of winning a flag IMO, which was the point of the rebuild and the inherent danger in the strategy.

Adams efficiency by foot has been poor, but I thought was definitely on the rise. Swanny was pretty piss poor early on in his career too.
Adams is trending in the right direction, and regularly has leather poisoning.

Sent from my Millennium Falcon using Tapatalk

Good on him, I didn't mind Snake but what the **** has a 1970's Norf FF got to do with anything here?

Relax champion wasn't having a crack just highlighting high marking forwards can not only win you a final but can win you a grand final as snake showed when he jumped all over us to win one..

And crazy horse

Frank Gumbleton says "Hi" back.

You make some good points, but overall I don't think that your argument is really relevant to our trading for Howe. I have doubts about Broomhead as well though I hope he has more to offer than Seedsman, at least in terms of his disposal around goal. Scharenburg 'showed nothing' until his final VFL game when he dominated until opposed to Mitch Brown. As he signed for 3 years, I think we have to be patient with him and assume that a full pre-season will bring out the best in him. Crisp is better than solid. Maynard looked a really good pick up to me, and is probably ahead of expectations at this early point of his career.

I am not so sure that we had a lot of choice with Kennedy and Seedsman. Both wanted out of the club because they weren't being given AFL game time. And if we get both Treloar and Aish, and the latter is able to recapture his first year form, we may not miss the 2 first round picks.

On the other hand, we do seem to be paying overs for Treloar and Howe with the loss high draft picks. Pick 68 is surely not going to be used in a shallow draft. We certainly don't want to be seen as overpaying for Aish. In some ways I would rather lose Witts as part of a deal rather than a high draft pick.

The rebuild started by Buckley was premature and has misfired.

No it wasn't. Key players were cooked or largely cooked. Didak, Johnson, Jolly, Ball, Maxwell, Brown, Davis, Tarrant. That was on top of recent exits of Presti, Lockyer, Fraser, Medhurst, OBree. Those that think the list of 2010/11 was broad and deep are dreaming. Sad but true the club got about as much as could be expected from that group. Unfortunately it came just short of two flags.

The alternative was to hang on for a few more years then end up like Bulldogs and Saints at the very bottom.

Yes patience is a virtue but do you honestly believe our list is ready to challenge any time soon even with Howe, Treloar and Aish?
I'd say for that to happen Aish needs to surprise us all by turning into a gun as getting Treloar will be offset by losing Swanny pretty soon.

What MarkT2 is saying is we're undergoing the second wave of the rebuild but at the same time won't have the access to elite youngsters in this and next years draft and that won't help our rebuild one bit. Unless of course we trade a proven player again but this won't help our cause either.

How long did it take for Bomber T to build a Geelong list that played in 4 grand finals? As far as I can recall, cats were pretty crap for the few tears before 07.

Additionally, Hawks essentially bottomed out and missed finals in 2009 after winning the flag. They didn't go on to win another flag until 4 years later. And during that 4 year period, Kennet wanted to get rid of clarko!

I think there's a lot of teams who'd kill to have our list.

Yes, we don't get a top 10 pick this year. But we honestly have no idea what will happen next year.
We're about to have possibly the most amount of first round drafted players on our list ever once we get Treloar and Aish. We've had more first round selections of any club for the last 3 years I believe. I think the rebuild is doing OK.

Port must be laughing at this trade, they've given up literally nothing for a former pick 4.

We should've got a better pick back in return for giving up Kennedy and Seedsman
He's had a worse 3 years than Kennedy, softest player with a pea heart. Worst top 10 pick since Richard Tambling, guy probably doesn't even have 1 good game or 1 good piece of brilliance at AFL level, it's merely just a label and nothing else, if we re-did the draft now he'd place behind Kennedy and probably go 60 or so, but in saying that I believe that Port Adelaide won that trade, with us and Adelaide getting a fair trade and Melbourne getting the stiff end of it. Will be interesting to see who made the best decisions during the 2016 season!

Good pick up, i watched his highlights this kid can jump! Another scare like that in our forward line sounds fantastic. However, he will have to do well in the preseason to be a start i would imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back