Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of pressure on Jase and Port Power (est. 1997) this week. After a terrible pre-season and a home game first up, the fans could get very restless if it goes poorly and if Jase continues to show that he is a lazy, me-first player as he has throughout the pre-season. I bet tarp providers throughout Alberton are rubbing their hands together this week.

It's also really concerning that many Port Power (est. 1997) legends have put the weight of so much expectation on him already, with one of the all-time greats of their esteemed 27-year history, Dean Brogan, already anointing him the best leader at the club. Surely this has to be a concern after it had already emerged that their coach had singled him out for laziness, his refusal to do the team things, and his unwillingness to put his body on the line throughout pre-season. And this after they gave up a king's ransom to get him to the club. I just hope he is willing to do his post-game recovery this year because he's going to need it with all that weight on his shoulders.

Is it that the Port Power (est. 1997) legends like Dean Brogan are just so out of touch with their club? Or is it really so dire down at Alberton that a lazy coward is already their best leader? I guess time will tell.
The fans aren't going to get remotely restless about the performance of a 19 year old kid, who had an interrupted pre season in his first game.

Just because you wish it would happen doesn't make it remotely likely.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are you denying Dean Brogan made such comments?
Dean is right. His talent and win at all costs attitude COULD make him a great Port captain in the future.

There is a LOT of water to go under the bridge (and all parties agree a lot of maturing required) before that is even remotely possible though.

That is a very long way from suggesting he is our best leader right now.

Quite amazing this thread is still going, some serious hurting by the North Melbourne (who also play home games in Tasmania) Kangaroos fans, understandably so after losing such a talented young player.

I can't recall there being this much backlash after Port Adelaide first pick in the 2010 draft Ben Jacobs pretty much delisted himself from Port to get to North after two years. Sure, he lasted at least one more season (although only six more games), but Port got nothing for him.

North Melbourne Kangaroos (who also play home games in Tasmania) got a very good return and I think the supporters should be far less aggrieved than what we would have felt back when Jacobs left, but have instead turned to vicious personal insults of a young kid and wishes of career-ending injuries at a time where mental health is such a big issue amongst youth.

Maybe he should have just pulled a Bailey Smith (one such player who has already stated his mental health issues) in the first place and told recruiters he was unable and unwilling to move away from home, but at least Jason actually gave it a crack. The experience must have just been far worse than what he expected over at Arden St and down in Tassie, but he at least still tried it out for a year, which is more than some can say.

It's totally unfair the criticism this guy has been put through when in almost any other job it's perfectly fine to move companies or move to be closer to home, especially when there are examples like Bailey Smith, and the fact that North were adequately compensated for losing him.

Anyway, I'll sure enjoy watching him run around for the next 10 years rubbing salt in to all those deep wounds so many Vics/Tasmanians seem to have suffered.
You'd think they'd be more grateful after we gave them Jacobs, Pittard and Polec.

Port fans need to be far less precious about JHF. Yeah its a bit of a pile-on, but the North fans are entitled to be pissed off.
They should be pissed off with their own club first and foremost. Jason has taken most of the heat that should have actually been directed at the Kangaroos and the way their club has been run I reckon.

Port fans need to be far less precious about JHF. Yeah its a bit of a pile-on, but the North fans are entitled to be pissed off.

I think being pissed off and actively barracking for the kid to have career threatening injuries is significantly different.

They should be pissed off with their own club first and foremost. Jason has taken most of the heat that should have actually been directed at the Kangaroos and the way their club has been run I reckon.
The club backed JHF to the best of their abilities. Unfortunately those in charge were clearly incompetent.
Goldstein after JHF disrespected him on field: “he’s still an 18-year old kid … it’s about reeling them back in and teaching that 18-year old kid how to manage those as a skill he’s got to learn.”
Boomer: “I’d love some journos to focus on some of the good stuff he’s doing because he’s doing some stuff on the football field that I haven’t seen an 18-year-old doing,"

From not telling the club about his trip to Adelaide, refusal to prepare at an Afl standard or adhere to team structure, terrible body language on field, abusing teammates, Jason was backed to the nth degree at least publicly.

Although North Melbourne didn’t handle JHF well at all - the way Jason presented himself both on and off the field certainly contributed to the intense media scrutiny. Let’s not assume that the club was out to get him from day one. They did their best but their best was just not good enough.

refusal to prepare at an Afl standard or adhere to team structure, terrible body language on field, abusing teammates

Some might argue that these would apply to half your team last season so singling out an 18yo in his first year at the club feels like a massive deflection.

For all the teeth gnashing and vitriol, surely most sane North supporters can see that they got well compensated for him and IMO probably have got more of what they need right now rather than a young prospect who may not reach the level that he's been hyped at.

JHF leaving is a bit whatever, we've had a horrid time of it lately. If we got nothing for him, yeah that's mortifying. Obviously, that isn't the case.

What keeps fuelling the fires is the Corn that blokes a dill, he is heaping pressure on young Jase and it's pressure he doesn't need. The Corn won't let it go, so much so the other week that other dill Gerard Healy referred to him as Corn-Francis, I did laugh.

The Corn's old man had a tough time of it at North and maybe it stems from there. Or is it still the lingering hatred towards Vics

1678832842673.png

^^^ One of SA's proudest moments I'm sure

Fans should be pissed off at the AFL system that puts kids at clubs/cities they don’t want to be at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure that's the answer and one does wonder what the Dees would look like if that was the case.
Which young gun would want to go to the worst side if they had a choice?
Dees probably would have won a lot more premierships the past 20 years.

The worsts sides should have more salary cap room and can offer larger contracts to younger players, the number one guy might choose to play elsewhere but a bad side could land 4 of the best 10 prospects in one off season, 4 guys that agree to join your club.

Right now the wooden spooners get one 18 year old before the premiers do, good luck catching up.

The worsts sides should have more salary cap room and can offer larger contracts to younger players, the number one guy might choose to play elsewhere but a bad side could land 4 of the best 10 prospects in one off season, 4 guys that agree to join your club.

Right now the wooden spooners get one 18 year old before the premiers do, good luck catching up.
Nothing like a good day drinking session!

Ok so JHF doesn't want to live in Melbourne and Daicos and Darcy are Father Son selections

North use their additional cap space to pre-sign Finn Callaghan, Mac Andrew, Josh Rachele and Josh Ward before the draft....our problems as a bottom side are clearly over.

GWS who finished 17th start picking from pick 8? Or do they complete the two man sack race on consecutive Sundays against Gold Coast and Hawthorn first?

Ok so JHF doesn't want to live in Melbourne and Daicos and Darcy are Father Son selections

North use their additional cap space to pre-sign Finn Callaghan, Mac Andrew, Josh Rachele and Josh Ward before the draft....our problems as a bottom side are clearly over.

GWS who finished 17th start picking from pick 8? Or do they complete the two man sack race on consecutive Sundays against Gold Coast and Hawthorn first?
No other sporting leagues in Australia have a draft (except the big bash brought one in last offseason which was a laugh).

It’s not hard to look around and see a draft isn’t needed to build a team. It’s just been brainwashed into AFL culture where people lose their minds at the thought of not having one.

Players should have a choice on the direction of their career, it should be up to the clubs to provide the best option for players. Getting Clarkson as Coach would probably look good to a young player, “He knows how to develop players, build a winning team and I can go there on good coin with 3 or 4 of my talented teammates from Vic Metro.”

It takes years of being down the bottom to build a team currently (if you get it right) and clubs plan on not being competitive, look at Hawthorn trading away their best 2 midfielders so they can pick a guy that probably doesn’t want to wear poo and wee on the footy field, where his preference would be to play under Clarkson with his mates.

Last edited:
Behind the scenes footage of Kane Francis-Cornes interviewing JHF from tonight.
200.gif

What a thoroughly reasonable sounding young man with a clear perspective on where he's at and what he needs to work on. Thanks for sharing?

Your choice to be a professional AFL footballer.

You always have the choice to play state league football if you don’t want to move.
You can have a professional sports league without a draft, they exist, in fact they’re even more common.

Fans should be pissed the AFL has a system in place that has players playing for clubs they don’t want to play for.

JHF leaving is a bit whatever, we've had a horrid time of it lately. If we got nothing for him, yeah that's mortifying. Obviously, that isn't the case.

What keeps fuelling the fires is the Corn that blokes a dill, he is heaping pressure on young Jase and it's pressure he doesn't need. The Corn won't let it go, so much so the other week that other dill Gerard Healy referred to him as Corn-Francis, I did laugh.

The Corn's old man had a tough time of it at North and maybe it stems from there. Or is it still the lingering hatred towards Vics

View attachment 1629515

^^^ One of SA's proudest moments I'm sure
I preferred this one
cwytr3h1iur61.jpg

Was quite popular during my first tour of Adelaide.

They want to play AFL and it’s their only option
I wanted to do things in life but some of the options to take them weren't up my alley.

So I didn't.

These entitled little shits need to get with the program.

Nobody's saying they need to stay at a club if they dont want. Just be honest about it.

If you're not prepared for the possibility of moving interstate, dont nominate.

Teams like Geelong and Hawthorn have shown that players will take pay cuts/less money in order to contend for a premiership.

"Just give them more money to lure players" risks them attracting the selfish mercenary types who are probably the worst thing for a young developing side.

If you're not prepared for the possibility of moving interstate, dont nominate.
JHF did move interstate
Nobody's saying they need to stay at a club if they dont want. Just be honest about it.
And JHF didn’t have to stay at North and requested a trade, North Melbourne obliged. I’m glad everyone likes the current system.

These entitled little shits need to get with the program.
I think it’s the supporters that feel entitled to someone else’s life.

I wanted to do things in life but some of the options to take them weren't up my alley.

So I didn't.
Lucky for JHF that Port Adelaide is up his alley where he can do the thing in life that he wants to do. No reason for him to miss out.

Last edited:
Teams like Geelong and Hawthorn have shown that players will take pay cuts/less money in order to contend for a premiership.

"Just give them more money to lure players" risks them attracting the selfish mercenary types who are probably the worst thing for a young developing side.
Geelong and Hawthorn got Experienced mature players, we are talking about untried players. An 18 year old is not guaranteed to make it by signing at Hawthorn or Geelong. Taking more money and having a better opportunity to play and develop for an 18 would be higher on their list than try and win a premiership in year one. There other sports leagues that show this, kids go to team with better playing opportunities

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back