Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF? It's like you WA flogs have PTSD.

A P3, rising star winner at the end of his third year just requested a trade back to WA because he was home sick. It's a thing with this generation and the environment the AFL has created (good, bad or indifferent) it's not some tin foil hat vic bias rubbish. The poor me stuff gets bloody tiring.
Was Jackson out of contract?
Did he say he didn't want to go to melbourne in his draft interviews?
And WGAF about "rising star winner", one was just delisted.

How on earth is this garbage on the main board instead of Bay 13?

To answer OP's question, JHF did exactly what anybody who wants to get the best out of himself would have done in his situation. He doesn't owe North a damn thing.
Really? Nothing he's done thus far would suggest that.

So non-partisan David King is flying the flag and showing his ‘shinboner’ spirit in his defamation of an 19 year old kid.

Loved this quote:

“They’ve strapped a 432-game legend, the games record holder (Brent Harvey) to his hip for 18 months.

“I’m not sure what more you could have done Monday to Friday to assist him to be the best he could on weekends.”
Apart from his apparent inability to grasp time, (I mean wasn’t he only drafted late November 2021), the strokes he paints with are a visual tour de force, just….#chefkissgorgeous

You remember Brent ‘Boomer’ Harvey? As quoted the games record holder and registered PTSD provider for all oppo fans for the majority of his 20 year career.

Short, speedy, clean disposal with a handy turn of pace. The type of small that could really be a pain in the ass on game day. Now, for those of you that are playing at home, let me give you that quote again..

“They’ve strapped a 432-game legend, the games record holder (Brent Harvey) to his hip for 18 months.”

Hmmmm…

F0F12682-C410-4B6F-AE94-96669B9914FB.jpeg

Really? Nothing he's done thus far would suggest that.
Funny how the simplest comment can capture my attention like this one.

So you (and not just you but anyone criticising JHF) think that being good enough to be selected as #1 in the draft, and be able to play an inside mid role at just 18, was just luck and talent and not because of anything "he's done thus far"?

That despite all the discussion about his commitment and ice baths and unauthorised trips home, he finished top 10 at the club in averages for disposals, contested possessions, tackles, inside 50s, clearances, metres gained (some top 5) in his first year at AFL level, "nothing he's done so far would suggest that"?

People can have their thoughts about whether he shouldn't have been allowed to move clubs, or whether ice baths are more important than online bullying and harassment, but honestly thinking that JHF's decision was not about trying to get the best out of himself by leaving North? Well, I guess time will tell.

Was Jackson out of contract?
Did he say he didn't want to go to melbourne in his draft interviews?
And WGAF about "rising star winner", one was just delisted.
It would have been a hell of a lot better if he did! JHF is even worse. Couldn't be stuffed even seeing his rookie contract out.

Fact of the matter remains, the go home factor isn't some vic centric BS.

He didn’t have more output, he more possessions. That’s it.

Judd won a Brownlow in his 3rd year averaging 21 disposals. He didn’t need big disposal numbers to have a big output. He was a far damaging player than JHF in his first year. Judd looked a star in his first year, JHF had some ok moments but he didn’t look anything close to Judd.

Playing in a stronger side would prevent players playing in bigger roles. JHF this year played 42% of time in the midfield, midfield is where players get the most possessions. JHF played in a role where you win possessions. Ablett didn’t get significant midfield time early in his career but had seasons of 26, 35, 29 and 35 goals (which were 2nd, 4th, 2nd and 1st in Geelong’s goal kicking) before moving into the midfield. He was having big impact in the role he was playing. 4 goals for JHF was 13th for North this year, not top 10.

Playing in a bad side doesn’t suddenly make your impact better. Your impact is your impact an no way was Horne-Francis anywhere near Judd in his first year. He just had more possessions.
My point was North was so bad that 4 goals might have put you in the top ten , a bit of tongue in cheek. ….. and no playing in a bad side destroys your impact…… the impressive thing is that JHF gets his own possessions and was above average already in clearances (as an 18/19 yo) and if he was in good team with more support his output and the damage he would do would have been more impressive. If you saw his performance in the 2021 SANFL Finals….. you could see why Clubs were desperate to get him. Contested ball, clearances, goals and nearly won it for South. It was the most impressive performance by a young future AFL player in a SANFL Finals since Nathan Buckley in 1992 (and Buckley was 2 years older)…… that’s why the crows threw what equated to 3 first round picks at North for him before his draft. He’s still only 19 and just wait and see how he goes with the likes of Boak, Rozee, Wines, Butters, Powell-Pepper around him, experienced players, experienced coaches and development coaches and of course his family support.

Last edited:
Pretty rare for a player to leave after one year. The question was whether it was 'worse' to leave after one year v two.
An the answer is overwhelmingly that it was better for everyone for him to leave now. Better for JHF and better for North.

He seems like a Patton and Scully 2.0 to me. Port won’t help him flourish imo. But good in him for moving, would’ve been even worse at NM.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His step dad played over 100 games for port Adelaide.

If he played for a popular vic club the media campaign from before he was drafted always would have been he belonged “home”

Was always going to end up at port.

It appears he was waiting until he was out of contract but the turmoil at north just pushed him to get out earlier.

The media crap has just proven it was the right decision

Luke Jackson says hi.

Jeremy McGovern and Tom Hawkins are other ones that are physically softer. Dunno how they pass the skin fold test tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Buckley is a better example.

Got drafted to Brisbane Bears, sooked the entire time he was there and then got traded to Collingwood
Except that's not true.

Buckley didn't want to go to Brisbane, and had agreed a move to Collingwood at the end of the season; but during his year at the Bears, he gave his all, averaging a goal per game, 23 disposals, was their best player nearly every week, gained 14 Brownlow votes, and won the Rising Star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back