Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, that's from a practical point of view and I don't disagree with you.
But being a football supporter is an emotional attachment and most North supporters were excited about jhf becoming a gun in our team, not at Port power. And they felt like he shit on the club, with his petulance and refusal to be part of the team.
I think most North supporters would have preferred he was simply up front with us pre-draft, and then we would have possibly traded with the Crows before hand and saved a lot of heartache.

Look that’s fair, and I’m not gonna pretend I didn’t have some level of anger at Tippet or Lever. But to still be obsessed with it two years later is weird.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it was a huge gamble for North to not take our offer knowing full well JHF was a flight risk. Again, blaming him and not the club is deflecting.

I also think it’s a tricky situation for a draftee to be in. I think it’s harsh to expect an 18 year old to handle it perfectly. Like I said, I reckon more draftees on draft night think they’re going to leave than what actually end up doing so.

It’s why I don’t see why as a North fan you’d still be stuck on it. Ultimately, you’ve ended up with Wardlaw and Goad, and I’d say you’d be fairly happy with that currently.

Look that’s fair, and I’m not gonna pretend I didn’t have some level of anger at Tippet or Lever. But to still be obsessed with it two years later is weird.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it was a huge gamble for North to not take our offer knowing full well JHF was a flight risk. Again, blaming him and not the club is deflecting.

I also think it’s a tricky situation for a draftee to be in. I think it’s harsh to expect an 18 year old to handle it perfectly. Like I said, I reckon more draftees on draft night think they’re going to leave than what actually end up doing so.

It’s why I don’t see why as a North fan you’d still be stuck on it. Ultimately, you’ve ended up with Wardlaw and Goad, and I’d say you’d be fairly happy with that currently.
Personally, I posted in this thread a couple of times, it gets bumped every now and then and I respond if I think there's something worth responding to. I'm happy with Wardlaw, who knows how Goad works out.

But let's be honest, the JHF thing wouldn't continue so long if he wasn't a bit of a w***er. He's polarising even for Port supporters in games like the Gold Coast one where he gave away all the frees. It's a bit of a double-edged sword. On one hand he's easy to dislike, but on the other it means you're kind of glad he's not in the team.

Being 18-20 is a bit of a copout. His whole cohort are the same age, and then there's a whole lot more similar ages. Most of them are not tossers.

One day I might even enjoy his good performances, at the moment I'm happy whenever he stinks it up.

Which other top picks left after one year, failing to complete their contract?

I'm not invested in JHF's career post-North, but the idea that his departure was quite normal and has been seen multiple times before is a load of bollox.

Please tell us how having 3 senior recruiting staff walk out over a week, described by Gerard Healy as 'disasterous' followed by the senior coach soon after, is 'normal'.

Things at North were anything but 'normal' in 2022 so why should JHF departure be 'normal'.

Your fans, just read the previous 20 pages.
Are you talking about Mr Francis or Mr Horne? If it's Fabian Francis then I'm well aware that people have a crack at him due to his criminal history. Not something I'd wade into personally, unfortunately being a former AFL footballer it's going to make the media.

I hope those supporters have thick skins because it may all be coming back their way in the future.

Please tell us how having 3 senior recruiting staff walk out over a week, described by Gerard Healy as 'disasterous' followed by the senior coach soon after, is 'normal'.

Things at North were anything but 'normal' in 2022 so why should JHF departure be 'normal'.
Didn't make any claims that they were. I was responding to somebody saying it was the sort of thing that happened all the time.

Hard to swallow facts, but atleast they have signed Zurhaar.

Agreed, and to be honest I'd go a step further and suggest that in Norths case, where they're starting from a real low place, that there should be an emphesis on drafting local so that when those new draftees find themselves struggling at a club thats getting belted week after week, that they have the benefit of family around them for additional support.

Obviously thats good in hindsight and why this should be a learning experience for not only North but other clubs at the bottom for extended periods rather than using it as an opportunity to lay blame.

JHF didnt necessarily handle it as well as he could have and North made an error in judgement that allowing him to leave under contract went a long way to remedying, but North supporters have been pretty poor in how they've conducted themselves and the club should really call them out on it.

North will continue to pick best available. We have had one young talented player want to leave the club since Daniel Motlop about 25 years ago. North have been terrible in a lot of spaces over recent years, but being able to retain players is not one of them. Especially when you take into account that we aren’t a big club and we have performed very poorly for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bump.

Generational.

Downhill Skiing Giant Slalom GIF by omguac

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North will continue to pick best available. We have had one young talented player want to leave the club since Daniel Motlop about 25 years ago. North have been terrible in a lot of spaces over recent years, but being able to retain players is not one of them. Especially when you take into account that we aren’t a big club and we have performed very poorly for quite a while.

Loyalty means bugger all if you aren't winning games. Eventually North has to turn the corner, otherwise all you have is a squad of loyal losers. That's culture.

12 score involvements (game high)
3 goal assists (game high)
1 goal

But ahhh yes.. he's "Down hill skiing" by setting up 16 of our 22 goals..
First game I've been to in 12 months and he was the standout. Despite not having the most disposals literally every time he got the ball he did something with it. He ran circles around the Swans and EVEN when I thought, no way he's getting out of this, he does. He is an absolute joy to watch.

But but but Wardlaw
The impact he has with his disposals is as good as i have ever seen for a 3rd year player. This is what even a ****wit like Roo said on tv, if JHF turns it up for 4 quarters it will be hard to stop Port. His problem has been consistency, when he puts 4 quarters together he will be a generational player. Looking forward to JHF with 2 more pre-seasons behind him.

Loyalty means bugger all if you aren't winning games. Eventually North has to turn the corner, otherwise all you have is a squad of loyal losers. That's culture.

A lot of players in a struggling team want to be a part of the solution, rather than running away at the first opportunity. North will get there eventually, with the right group of players. JHF clearly wasn’t cut out to get his hands dirty.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back