Jim Stynes Herald Sun Victorian of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

RedLegs#5

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos,Wallabies, Glenn McGrath.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bi...rian-of-the-year/story-e6frf7jo-1226220306293

Inspirational. The heart and soul of Melbourne, and I would go as far as to say the heart and soul of the AFL right now.

Obviously there are lots of worthy candidates and these highly emotional awards can bring out a lot of mixed feelings in many. His nomination can only do good though. One can't deny this win gives both his charity and cancer research some more healthy awareness. You can't satisfy everyone with these awards, as obviously thousands upon thousands of people (and subsequently charities/ causes) are worthy candidates. A lot of them inevitably miss out.

Let's celebrate this years very heroic and worthy winner though. Next year someone else will get the nod.

Good on ya Jim!!

Runs the states biggest youth charity/organisation and has helped a LOT of people through that who have then gone to help OTHER young people all over the world.

There wouldn't be many above him, illness or not.

But he serves a bit as an icon to those who have relatives, family members of even themselves going through treatment.

My mother was diagnosed with cancer just before Jimmy, and whilst not as aggressive a form of cancer as Jimmy has, she's followed his progress quite a lot throughout her own treatment and taken a lot out of the way he's approached it all. She's now in the clear (thank god) but by Jimmy being so positive, and more importantly making his own battle so available to people, it really can inspire others going through the same thing.

On a more broad note as well, society often sweeps terminal cancer sufferers under the rug. We leave them alone to die in isolation with just close family to support them. Jimmy has brought the battle to the front page, and I think that's pretty impressive in and of itself. Just to show the journey that these fighters go through, the rationalisation of knowing they're going to die, the thought process they go through, their regrets about taking work too seriously and not spending enough time with family (remember, nobody has ever uttered on their deathbed that they wished they'd worked more!).

I've met him personally a couple of times, and he's just a great bloke - he's put more in to this country than most too.

Runs the states biggest youth charity/organisation and has helped a LOT of people through that who have then gone to help OTHER young people all over the world.

There wouldn't be many above him, illness or not.

Doesn't get mentioned enough.

That's pretty much very well known.

Lets be honest, the main reason behind him getting this is his illness.

Yes it is, because he's a major public figure who has battled his disease in a pretty extraordinary way.

Who was the last high profile cancer patient to document their struggle for 30 months?

Bringing awareness about terminal cancer is a very big thing imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Check out his passport and past allegiances. Its not different to the Daily Telegraph naming Leonardo DiCaprio New South Welshman of the year.

Who gives a shit?

He’s lives here for decades and hung around long after his footy career, and put in a hell of a lot for underprivileged youth in the state. He’s a Victorian.

Who gives a shit?

He’s lives here for decades and hung around long after his footy career, and put in a hell of a lot for underprivileged youth in the state. He’s a Victorian.

Cole's from Perth, I think its still normal to be racist towards the Irish there. Most of Australia moved on about 100 years ago, but you know... it's Perth.

Cole's from Perth, I think its still normal to be racist towards the Irish there. Most of Australia moved on about 100 years ago, but you know... it's Perth.

Racist? Its true. Last time I checked he is Irish. Did I miss something or what?

Whether anyone likes it or not as a athlete you only represent one country. Has been that way since the Olympic times. Its part of the process really and he represents Ireland doesnt he?

Racist? Its true. Last time I checked he is Irish. Did I miss something or what?

Whether anyone likes it or not as a athlete you only represent one country. Has been that way since the Olympic times. Its part of the process really and he represents Ireland doesnt he?

I'm certain he's actually a dual citizen. So yeah, you're missing plenty.
But he isn't winning this award for his athletic prowess anyway.

lol for some reason 'since the Olympic times' made me laugh

I'm not sure how they judge these awards, but he's as worthy as anybody else. Obviously, given his precarious health, it's probably the last chance to award it to him. So, why not?

uh yeah, you missed the bit where he lived in Australia for 25 years and took up citizenship. Australians come from all over the world.

I'm certain he's actually a dual citizen. So yeah, you're missing plenty.
But he isn't winning this award for his athletic prowess anyway.

Id say his athletic accomplishments are well and truly being taken into account here. Ive known people with asbestosis, who ran a charity organisation. Didnt see them handed a award before they passed. All this is is a reason to sell newspapers. Personally im surprised everyone is all for it considering how much we supposedly hate the HUN

Remove this Banner Ad

Jim Stynes Herald Sun Victorian of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back