Analysis JJ4 - 2nd leading goal kicker - KPF or small fwd

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I have. Big Footy is full of premature predictions on players whose careers are only just starting. I'm sure some of you are excellent judges of talent and maybe you're right about Jenkins. But I think it's slightly more likely that the majority simply reflect a kind of chronic impatience and an expectation that every player should be John Coleman or Wayne Carey. They might be right about Jenkins too but only by a fluke. They'd be wrong about a bunch of other young players they've gone too early on as well for the same reasons.

For my money, JJ has shown steady improvement and there's nothing to indicate that it won't continue. Might not, in which case, kudos to you. But I don't see why he shouldn't get better. He's not stupid. He seems motivated. And I think he tries harder than a lot on here give him credit for. He's probably never going to be a pack marking beast. But he's a hard match up and if he kicks 50 goals a year he's giving good value. Dare I mention the old chestnut about big men taking a bit longer to hit their straps?

He was interviewed on 5AA a while back, seemed aware of his limitations and development needs. Particularly his need to have an impact on a game when he's not dominating, and his defensive pressure.

Credited Bicks with his development so far. Expected as Bicks is the forwards coach, and this isn't an anti-Bicks comment, but jeez I'd like to see them get in Carey or Tredrea or Brown to work with him

Also..actually wouldn't mind seeing him play through the midfield with his size, speed and kick. Like Freo did with Pav. He's a mobile beast, could wreak some havoc

Last edited:

Also don't forget he went into last pre season with a broken ankle. He should improve as his fitness picks up over the next couple of years.
That is a very valid point. I'm not sure how many of his issues stem from a lack of fitness but it will be interesting to see how his game changes if he can get a full pre-season under his belt.

Still young as a KPP. Would get the best in the biz the Duck himself to mentor JJ. While he is frustrating now, with the right coaching and change in mindset he could be an absolute nightmare of a matchup for a defence. He doesn't work both ways, but we used to say this about Walker. Just sayin.

I also think JJ would benefit from a better organised forward line. He is an excellent contested mark in a 1-on-1 situation, but doesn't have the physical presence to bust through a pack. Our "deep entry" style doesn't play to his strengths as far as those strengths are what you would expect from a tall forward.

I'd love to see JJ isolated 1 out a bit more often, becauuse there is not a defender in the league who can go with his combination of size and athleticism.

I'd also like to see us go into a game with a genuine second ruckman so that JJ can just be a forward.

I also think JJ would benefit from a better organised forward line. He is an excellent contested mark in a 1-on-1 situation, but doesn't have the physical presence to bust through a pack. Our "deep entry" style doesn't play to his strengths as far as those strengths are what you would expect from a tall forward.

I'd love to see JJ isolated 1 out a bit more often, becauuse there is not a defender in the league who can go with his combination of size and athleticism.

I'd also like to see us go into a game with a genuine second ruckman so that JJ can just be a forward.
I think his only place can be 2nd ruck forward. If we get another and have JJ, Tex and Lynch as well we are back to the 4 talls which is not desirable.

Walker is the main man, Lynch the gut runner - Jenkins must play the combo role.

If we do recruit a J Giles this might put pressure on him that McKernan failed to do.

I think his only place can be 2nd ruck forward. If we get another and have JJ, Tex and Lynch as well we are back to the 4 talls which is not desirable.

Walker is the main man, Lynch the gut runner - Jenkins must play the combo role.

If we do recruit a J Giles this might put pressure on him that McKernan failed to do.

Fair point. Although if the sub rule is abolished that might give us a bit more flexibility to carry an extra tall forward into games. Having 4 wasn't ideal - I agree with that, but it wasn't a disaster either.

Trade Lyons and pick 10 to Melbourne for pick 3

Trade Lynch and pick 3 to GWS for Cameron and pick 76

Then we have the best forward line in the game

If the sub rule goes it will make my year.

Mine too.

With regards to Jenkins, he's certainly a player with a real ability split the supporter base. He's that real Jared Waite type enigma, who I think needs to be dropped every now and then, just to ensure he stays on his toes. With regular games he seems to relax a little after a while and his output drops off, he needs to be kept on his toes.

He's a very interesting player though and I've come to the conclusion that he really isn't a genuine key position type and that he's certainly more of a tall half forward flanker, in a similar mould to Franklin and Westhoff. Obviously not quite the same level of player as those too, but I do think we need to change our approach with him.

For starters I think he's carrying too much weight. If he was a full time ruckman, or a genuine Tippett style pack marker, he's at a good weight, but that's not how he plays his footy. He's extremely athletic for a guy his size, but I think he suffers because he's trying to carry too much bulk around and thus can't provide too many repeat efforts. For a guy as quick as he is, he really doesn't look it and I think thats because he's too tired with the constant up and back work the modern day forward does. 15 years ago he'd be alright, because there was such a thing as a "stay at home" forward, nowadays even the "stay at home" full forward is regularly pushing up past the centre circle.

I think we need to be looking to maximise Jenkins athletic abilities, by getting him to cut 5-8kgs over the summer and work on his aerobic ability/work rate, so that it isn't such an effort to cover the high Km's required of forwards these days. We all tend to agree that a lot of Jenkins goals are from either working hard to get into uncontested spots close to goal, or from crumbing the ground ball, not from big contested marks, so there's absolutely no reason for him to be as heavy as he is.

Jacobs was a similar situation last year, he put on a few Kg's of muscle so he was comparable in size to the likes of Minson, Mumford and Maric, however his gamestyle is closer to that of Dean Cox, he isn't a big body type player and so it made it tough for him to play his natural game. This year he loses a couple of Kg's, gains a small yard of pace and can cover the ground better and is back to his best form.

Players are forced to cover so much of the ground these days, especially with the interchange cap, the club needs to be very careful in not letting players put on too much weight for the positions they play and their style of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis JJ4 - 2nd leading goal kicker - KPF or small fwd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back