Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see how we go in this one. They ought to beat us in the midfield, but their forwardline on paper would have to be about as weak as you would ever see.

As long as we don't struggle to back up after playing in the heat on Saturday I don't necessarily expect this to be any harder than the North game.

Expect the Dogs to have +100 possessions than us. They have some serial overusers of the footy & are still playing like they did in 2016.

If we play to a similar intensity as last weekend then we should create plenty of turnovers & goal opportunities.

You’d think both teams will play close to full strength & the fringe players will be putting it all on the line to secure their spot for round 1. It will come down to whose senior players care the most. Fairly even teams, could go either way.

I’d like us to run a team like this out. Based on rd 1 and providing opportunity to some of those who missed out on the first JLT.

B. McKenzie Joyce savage
Hb. Battle Austin Coffield
C. Acres Clarke Billings
Hf. Long paddy lonie
F. Membrey Bruce Parker
FOL. Marshall Ross Gresh
Int. Pierce hind Wilkie young Paton Sinclair white

Bruce to only play a half with Marshall moving to his role in the second half and Lewie rucking.

Steele, Geary, Webster, robbo straight to rd 1.

Dunstan, Newnes left out to look at others but not out of rd 1 contention. Let them play at sandy.

I’d like us to run a team like this out. Based on rd 1 and providing opportunity to some of those who missed out on the first JLT.

B. McKenzie Joyce savage
Hb. Battle Austin Coffield
C. Acres Clarke Billings
Hf. Long paddy lonie
F. Membrey Bruce Parker
FOL. Marshall Ross Gresh
Int. Pierce hind Wilkie young Paton Sinclair white

Bruce to only play a half with Marshall moving to his role in the second half and Lewie rucking.

Steele, Geary, Webster, robbo straight to rd 1.

Dunstan, Newnes left out to look at others but not out of rd 1 contention. Let them play at sandy.
Add Kent in there..

Will be interesting to see how we go in this one. They ought to beat us in the midfield, but their forwardline on paper would have to be about as weak as you would ever see.

As long as we don't struggle to back up after playing in the heat on Saturday I don't necessarily expect this to be any harder than the North game.
I watched the GC v Bulldogs game last night.
Very 2018.
Congested rubbish, mostly played in the Bulldogs front half with GC getting their goals on the break.
Based on that game, both should be booking their September holidays now.

Just on the game last night - I only watched the second half so missed Rankine's goal.
But if GC play their three 2018 draft guns in Round #1, and we are wise to their game plan (which seemed to be so 2018 - pack the backline and score goals on the break), we should win in a canter.
Bing may have been on the field - but if so he was invisible (I will own to watching the game only to watch him).
He had a total of 5 touches.
Lukosius had 8 I think - saw him twice. Very nice kicking skills.
Rankine had 11 I think - saw him a couple of times too.

These guys are undoubtedly talented - but they are kids.
A lot to expect them to perform well against men in their first game.

Just on the game last night - I only watched the second half so missed Rankine's goal.
But if GC play their three 2018 draft guns in Round #1, and we are wise to their game plan (which seemed to be so 2018 - pack the backline and score goals on the break), we should win in a canter.
Bing may have been on the field - but if so he was invisible (I will own to watching the game only to watch him).
He had a total of 5 touches.
Lukosius had 8 I think - saw him twice. Very nice kicking skills.
Rankine had 11 I think - saw him a couple of times too.

These guys are undoubtedly talented - but they are kids.
A lot to expect them to perform well against men in their first game.

In the past some of their outside runners such as Harbrow, Sexton & Lemmens have troubled us.

Their midfield isn’t great. They got rid of their best contested mid (Lyons) & will rely on Swallow to do the grunt work. But they should have a slight ruck advantage.

Their tall fwds & backs are very inexperienced.

We really should win comfortably.

In the past some of their outside runners such as Harbrow, Sexton & Lemmens have troubled us.

Their midfield isn’t great. They got rid of their best contested mid (Lyons) & will rely on Swallow to do the grunt work. But they should have a slight ruck advantage.

Their tall fwds & backs are very inexperienced.

We really should win comfortably.

When I looked at their list, it still looks okay. The talk is that they would be terrible but their list is under performing not shit. They have had two decent games in the preseason and don't look the walk over that they promised to be. At least they didn't catch us on the hop. If we lose to them round one I can't see us winning another game for weeks afterwards. It would almost be good bye Richo if that happens. For that reason I expect us to make sure we don't lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Coff is a concern. I’m thinking he will be another Dunstan
The only concern for me at this early stage, is that he apparently came back from the break in ordinary nick. Think I read that on here somewhere.

If that's correct it tells me he hasn't totally grasped what's necessary to be an elite footballer at this early stage of his career.

Only early days though and hopefully he can sort that stuff out. He's a great size for modern day footy.

I watched the GC v Bulldogs game last night.
Very 2018.
Congested rubbish, mostly played in the Bulldogs front half with GC getting their goals on the break.
Based on that game, both should be booking their September holidays now.
Yeah I was thinking that WB might have been alright this year, after they seemed to get their mojo back late last year, but it's just so hard to see how they kick regular winning scores with that forwardline.

Schache was in the squad but didn't play, Boyd's out indefinitely, and it looks like they must have had English playing as their main marking target up there. Basically all their goals came from "midfield types" (Wallis 3, Gowers, Hunter, Libba, McClean, Richards, Smith, Suckling 1 each), who it looks like they'll be relying heavily on to kick their scores this year.

It's going to take a good injury run and some Bevo magic to see them anywhere near finals this year I reckon.

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking that WB might have been alright this year, after they seemed to get their mojo back late last year, but it's just so hard to see how they kick regular winning scores with that forwardline.

Schache was in the squad but didn't play, Boyd's out indefinitely, and it looks like they must have had English playing as their main marking target up there. Basically all their goals came from "midfield types" (Wallis 3, Gowers, Hunter, Libba, McClean, Richards, Smith, Suckling 1 each), who it looks like they'll be relying on to kick their scores this year.

Why’s Boyd out indefinitely, mental health?

St Kilda and proud.

The only concern for me at this early stage, is that he apparently came back from the break in ordinary nick. Think I read that on here somewhere.

If that's correct it tells me he hasn't totally grasped what's necessary to be an elite footballer at this early stage of his career.

Only early days though and hopefully he can sort that stuff out. He's a great size for modern day footy.
That was definitely said by someone but l think the term "ordinary nick" isn't right. He simply may not have met all his targets, which llRC were set pretty high this year for the whole group. He's obviously been spending a lot of time in the gym and maybe not enough in other areas. Hunts was the same l believe but has escaped scrutiny after his cracking 3km time trial post Christmas.
Being housemates they'll be doing everything together, so if that's pounding weights and putting on kg's then it's gonna be hard to keep the skin folds and lap times down at the same time.
Nothing to see here IMO..

When I looked at their list, it still looks okay. The talk is that they would be terrible but their list is under performing not shit. They have had two decent games in the preseason and don't look the walk over that they promised to be. At least they didn't catch us on the hop. If we lose to them round one I can't see us winning another game for weeks afterwards. It would almost be good bye Richo if that happens. For that reason I expect us to make sure we don't lose.
At this stage of the season it hard to say where we stand , but there is no reason we can't beat , Suns x2 , Dogs x1 ,Dockers x2 ,Blues x2 , Lions x1 , Port x1, Swans x1 , Hawks x1 , Roos x1 and that 12 games add on a win against the Bombers or another couple teams and who knows.
Ok it could turn out to be a disaster like last year , but I really feel the team is in a far better position than last year , just having Bruce up forward gives us another goal kicking option and Roberton will strength our defence.
With the 666 rule having 3 marking targets in the forward line is a bonus - last year Membery battled to kick straight , Paddy didn't really shine and Bruce was injured , so having them fit and firing will be a key factor.

At this stage of the season it hard to say where we stand , but there is no reason we can't beat , Suns x2 , Dogs x1 ,Dockers x2 ,Blues x2 , Lions x1 , Port x1, Swans x1 , Hawks x1 , Roos x1 and that 12 games add on a win against the Bombers or another couple teams and who knows.
Ok it could turn out to be a disaster like last year , but I really feel the team is in a far better position than last year , just having Bruce up forward gives us another goal kicking option and Roberton will strength our defence.
With the 666 rule having 3 marking targets in the forward line is a bonus - last year Membery battled to kick straight , Paddy didn't really shine and Bruce was injured , so having them fit and firing will be a key factor.

Yeah, I'm upbeat but weary after last years collapse. I think similar to you, we should be back to around 12 wins IMO. Maybe lose some of those a pick up one or two upsets like we usually do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Back