Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Definites
Marshall for Pierce - probably would have happened anyway.
Austin for Brown - suspended first game so Austin must play.

Ins - Coffield, Acres, McKenzie, Long

Outs - no idea.

I think they will play Wilkie again since he had to ruck yesterday. Paton only played a quarter so he should stay in.

Perhaps Lonie and a few of the seniors - Robbo, Dunstan Newnes

Outs: Wilkie, Dunstan, Sinclair & Paton. Phillips might also have to move aside.

Footy is a very subjective game and watching live compared to a telecast can change your views. But I have to wonder if Richo truly has the gift to SEE games as they transpire or just relies on stats for his opinions. To name Dunstan as one of our best in his after game media just astounds me? Contested possessions is Richo's mantra but most times committed class beats grunt and to me that's all Dunstan is, a grunt player lacking everything else. Personally I would rather have Sinclair or Acres play that role knowing that their contested possessions will benefit the team and often end in scores and learn the grunt side as time goes by. Anyway he is the coach so for the time being we do things in Richo's unimaginative mechanical fashion - 'as long as it is strongly!

Last edited:

Outs: Wilkie, Dunstan, Sinclair & Paton. Phillips might also have to move aside.

Footy is a very subjective game and watching live compared to a telecast can change your views. But I have to wonder if Richo truly has the gift to SEE games as they transpire or just relies on stats for his opinions. To name Dunstan as one of our best in his after game media just astounds me? Contested possessions is Richo's mantra but most times committed class beats grunt and to me that's all Dunstan is, a grunt player lacking everything else. Personally I would rather have Sinclair or Acres play that role knowing that their contested possessions will benefit the team and often end in scores and learn the grunt side as time goes by. Anyway he is the coach so for the time being we do things in Richo's unimaginative mechanical fashion - 'as long as it is strongly!
You honestly think a coach and thus all the rest of the coaches go by stats. Unlike you and me they know the roles players are given. We don’t have a clue. I thought dunstan struggled but that is not knowing his role. Anyway these are practice games and 26 played. 4 are out for a start. Having stuck up for coaches I’m still dumbfounded how we didn’t play 2 ruckman with 8 on the bench. Beyond comprehension

You honestly think a coach and thus all the rest of the coaches go by stats. Unlike you and me they know the roles players are given. We don’t have a clue. I thought dunstan struggled but that is not knowing his role. Anyway these are practice games and 26 played. 4 are out for a start. Having stuck up for coaches I’m still dumbfounded how we didn’t play 2 ruckman with 8 on the bench. Beyond comprehension

What other role could he give Dunstan Plugger? Full Back, Wing, Forward pocket perhaps? Dunstan is our most inflexible player and shouldn't be getting games if we want to improve. He simply can't play any where else or do anything other than the grunt work.

What other role could he give Dunstan Plugger? Full Back, Wing, Forward pocket perhaps? Dunstan is our most inflexible player and shouldn't be getting games if we want to improve. He simply can't play any where else or do anything other than the grunt work.
Maybe he had a role on another player not another position. My point stands. Richo and the rest of coaches don’t pick best players off stats. Even you know that’s a joke.

Richo onced named Dunstan in the bests for a game Lucky didn't even play in.

The rucks makes sense. They wanted both rucks to play a whole game in the ruck. Result didn't matter. Marshall played whole game in ruck for the 2s. Pierce would have if not concussed.

The rucks makes sense. They wanted both rucks to play a whole game in the ruck. Result didn't matter. Marshall played whole game in ruck for the 2s. Pierce would have if not concussed.
I wasn’t caring about the result. I was caring about always having a proper ruckman out on the ground so the mids could get good practice in clearances. I know you don’t expect an injury but that meant we hardly got to see how 3 marking forwards worked as well.

I'm the kind of guy who takes pre-season matches more seriously than most, but the ultimate goal isn't to win - it's to prepare the squad for the season ahead. If bringing two rucks into the JLT1 game meant one bloke got 60% game time and the other 40%, it would be a net negative to their development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm the kind of guy who takes pre-season matches more seriously than most, but the ultimate goal isn't to win - it's to prepare the squad for the season ahead. If bringing two rucks into the JLT1 game meant one bloke got 60% game time and the other 40%, it would be a net negative to their development.
But not to the mids. They have to learn to rove to proper ruckman not guys like Bruce and Wilkie. Even without injury in that heat Bruce would have done a heap of ruck work. Also how does it help Marshall playing in an ordinary standard of footy.

I wasn’t caring about the result. I was caring about always having a proper ruckman out on the ground so the mids could get good practice in clearances. I know you don’t expect an injury but that meant we hardly got to see how 3 marking forwards worked as well.
With 8 on the bench and not having Marshall was stupid , Having them play a half each would of been fine in that heat.
With the new rules having a ruck to give you first chance of a clearance out of the middle is a big advantage , even if we can break even would be fine - Pierce could be a major piece in our team this year , however I would also want Marshall in the 22 as a a back up and fill in where needed / if a tall backman goes down or one of our big forwards.
Suns have 3 guys over 2m so I expect he will play the first round anyway just for match ups,

But not to the mids. They have to learn to rove to proper ruckman not guys like Bruce and Wilkie. Even without injury in that heat Bruce would have done a heap of ruck work. Also how does it help Marshall playing in an ordinary standard of footy.
I think they also wanted to see how Pierce would go rucking a whole game, something they couldn't see if Marshall was also in the squad.

Considering Marshall has been beating by Pierce while rucking at training, playing at an "ordinary" standard of football wouldn't have done him any harm considering he has a lot of work to do before being a viable first ruckman.

With 8 on the bench and not having Marshall was stupid , Having them play a half each would of been fine in that heat.
With the new rules having a ruck to give you first chance of a clearance out of the middle is a big advantage , even if we can break even would be fine - Pierce could be a major piece in our team this year , however I would also want Marshall in the 22 as a a back up and fill in where needed / if a tall backman goes down or one of our big forwards.
Suns have 3 guys over 2m so I expect he will play the first round anyway just for match ups,
We are planning on playing 3 talls in the forward line, so their isn't a spot in the team for a 2nd ruckman to potentially ruck for 5 minutes quarter and we cant carry another tall on the bench incase of an injury.

I think they also wanted to see how Pierce would go rucking a whole game, something they couldn't see if Marshall was also in the squad.

Considering Marshall has been beating by Pierce while rucking at training, playing at an "ordinary" standard of football wouldn't have done him any harm considering he has a lot of work to do before being a viable first ruckman.
Well we agree to disagree. Obviously we will only play one ruck during the year but I’m betting both could have been used to the club and the players advantage last week. This week will obviously only have one which is fair enough because our only other fit tall is miles off it

I’d like us to run a team like this out. Based on rd 1 and providing opportunity to some of those who missed out on the first JLT.

B. McKenzie Joyce savage
Hb. Battle Austin Coffield
C. Acres Clarke Billings
Hf. Long paddy lonie
F. Membrey Bruce Parker
FOL. Marshall Ross Gresh
Int. Pierce hind Wilkie young Paton Sinclair white

Bruce to only play a half with Marshall moving to his role in the second half and Lewie rucking.

Steele, Geary, Webster, robbo straight to rd 1.

Dunstan, Newnes left out to look at others but not out of rd 1 contention. Let them play at sandy.
No Robbo?

100% agree Pluggs.
Seemed very strange for expected high temp too.

They only had 2 marking players in the forward line. For Marshall to play in the real stuff he has to replace Bruce or paddy.
Membery you calling our 3rd tall is 1.88m , so we are also calling Acres a tall at 1.90m who plays as a mid unless they use him in the ruck like they did last year.
West coast had Lecra , Cripps and Venables who where all around 1.84m mark playing along side Kennedy , Darling with Vardy helping out with Lycett.
I don't know what they will do , but if we lose a tall as in a ruck or key back it would be to hard to cover.
Carlisle was our only back over 2m and first up we are playing a team with 3 guys over 2m and if we play only Pierce we will only have 1.

Membery you calling our 3rd tall is 1.88m , so we are also calling Acres a tall at 1.90m who plays as a mid unless they use him in the ruck like they did last year.
West coast had Lecra , Cripps and Venables who where all around 1.84m mark playing along side Kennedy , Darling with Vardy helping out with Lycett.
I don't know what they will do , but if we lose a tall as in a ruck or key back it would be to hard to cover.
Carlisle was our only back over 2m and first up we are playing a team with 3guys over 2m and if we play only Pierce we will only have 1.
I wouldn’t care if membery was 158. He is a marking player who plays like a normal tall forward. Actually very similar to darling however darling maybe fractionally better on the ground. Marshall can’t be carried on the bench and you can’t pick players just in case of injury. I’m not sure Marshall could play back anyway. Be a tough ask considering he has mainly played forward or ruck.

I wouldn’t care if membery was 158. He is a marking player who plays like a normal tall forward. Actually very similar to darling however darling maybe fractionally better on the ground. Marshall can’t be carried on the bench and you can’t pick players just in case of injury. I’m not sure Marshall could play back anyway. Be a tough ask considering he has mainly played forward or ruck.
IIRC he played predominantly in defence whilst at North Ballarat.
How performed is another question altogether.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Back