Game Day JLT Series Round 3: Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely.
Connor Nash is cherry ripe for AFL.
No way we go into any game this year without him being the first name picked.
To be fair he couldn't have performed any better. No mistakes, nice tackle that won a free etc.

I'm confused. I hear multiple coaches saying it's a dress rehearsal for Round One, but many of our BF posters insist the final round of the JLT is just for shits & giggles. Think I will listen to the professionals, which must mean that we're NQR at the moment.
A dress rehearsal doesn't necessarily require intensity. Just making sure formations and set plays are executed as expected against an opposition that doesn't have the benefit of knowing the ins and outs of them.

I know your taking the p!$$, but not a terrible idea. We need to develop a key back urgently, we ain't got no draft picks to get one either.
See how well Burton did at full back yesterday?
You cant put blokes with no idea how to be a backman in and expect anything else from them.
Train Nash for a few years, different story but for the second its Brand or bust.

I know people are abit worried with our pre-season form but I believe if we play our best forward line alot of teams may find trouble.
HF: Rioli(4th def)Gunston(2nd def)Breust(5th def)
F:Vickery(3rd def)Rough(1st def) Poppy/Sicily
(6th def)
I think alot of our fwds have a chance to get off the chain if opposition dont get there matchups right. Sicily is interesting as last year he probably got the 2nd best defender due to no rough or vickery, sides wouldnt want smaller defenders on him either due to his marking capabilities. Vickery and Gunston also could become quite dangerous if sides get matchups wrong, just hope that we can isolate the right matchups. I still believe our fwd line is one of the most dangerous. The addition of mitchell and O'Meara will hopefully give them enough supply. Last year in the semi final we were cooked trying to bomb long to big boy, i get the feeling clarko is cooking something up as in previous years he has focused on precise kicking inside fwd 50 but last year we bombed alot which i felt was very strange.

Our defenders and midfielders need to win the ball to give "the greatest forward line ever" a chance to kick goals.
Agreed there seems to be a phenomenon where all our mids end up on one side of the centre circle and the ball goes out the other. Would love to see that fixed!

I know your taking the p!$$, but not a terrible idea. We need to develop a key back urgently, we ain't got no draft picks to get one either.

Unless the next Matt Spangher (minus the injury worries) comes along, would it be such a bad idea to go out and draft an experienced key defender from one of the state leagues ? Just need someone with a mature body and approaching AFL levels of fitness who knows how to position themselves to negate an opposition tall.

If Brand and Heatherly work out and Surman breaks into the Box Hill seniors and does well , then problem solved, but failing that I don't want to go back to reading "Is it time to move Roughy to defence?" threads.

Everyone has to deliver.

He's no different from anyone else in this regard.

Unlike the fans though, the club will weigh up his benefits over any perceived 'injury proneness' or whipping boy status...

What Schoey should be delivering at (and frankly through) this point in his career is entirely different than what Lovell, Cousins, Sicily, Pitto, etc.....are expected of.

Ryan has been entirely under-ordinary for much of his career, whether that be given reasons/excuses like injury, played out of position, or form. He's popped up for small periods of time over the many seasons he's been at the club, but the kid is a specimen with a natural talent on the hoof, and for mine has been woefully short of playing a full role for the team.

He must be the most underperforming player on a consistent basis, ever, to have received such patient support on this board.
If it's time for O'brien, it's past time to get a regular contributor out of Schoenmakers.

In 8 completed seasons, he averages 12 disposals / 0.3 goals and gives away twice as many free kicks a he receives.

Last edited:
I'm confused. I hear multiple coaches saying it's a dress rehearsal for Round One, but many of our BF posters insist the final round of the JLT is just for shits & giggles. Think I will listen to the professionals, which must mean that we're NQR at the moment.
Kind of hard to believe that the Hawthorn coaches think that way when the head man only coached one of three matches. I'll take ours over multiple other coaches any day. I'll be the first to admit it's difficult for me to understand their position, but I cannot argue with the results we've shown the last 10 years +.

What Schoey should be delivering at (and frankly through) this point in his career is entirely different than what Lovell, Cousins, Sicily, Pitto, etc.....are expected of.

Ryan has been entirely under-ordinary for much of his career, whether that be given reasons/excuses like injury, played out of position, or form. He's popped up for small periods of time over the many seasons he's been at the club, but the kid is a specimen with a natural talent on the hoof, and for mine has been woefully short of playing a full role for the team.

He must be the most underperforming player on a consistent basis, ever, to have received such patient support on this board.
If it's time for O'brien, it's past time to get a regular contributor out of Schoenmakers.

In 8 completed seasons, he averages 12 disposals / 0.3 goals and gives away twice as many free kicks a he receives.
And he played most of those games as a defender so goals per game doesn't mean much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And he played most of those games as a defender so goals per game doesn't mean much

Probably just indicating he has not really made a decent fist of any opportunities, which he has not. Yes position and injury have played a part. I have backed him from the beginning hoping he can deliver on the glimpses of talent he has shown, but he is wearing thin.

I wonder what would happen if we actually played through Schoey as an attacking player?

He's a decoy forward or a last resort defender.

Imagine he was an actual forward target or a rebound defender? We might actually have a player.

He should have gone to another club when he had the chance. He may have re-invented himself or at least been played according to his strengths. On borrowed time now imo.

I endured the game as it was in SA & learnt a few things

1) that according to the educated Port crowd every contest should result in a free kick to them
2) every free kick paid to Hawthorn is because of "Free Kick Hawthorn"
3) pies should not be $6 each
4) it is windy at Hickenbothom Oval
5) Hawks don't give a fat rats about pre season games
6) it is a 3 stubbie trip form that oval to Victor Harbor
7) around 90% of game day Port supporters are feral
8) I am glad that the tickets in only cost $5
9) no one gives a toss about the Adelaide Cup

I endured the game as it was in SA & learnt a few things

1) that according to the educated Port crowd every contest should result in a free kick to them
2) every free kick paid to Hawthorn is because of "Free Kick Hawthorn"
3) pies should not be $6 each
4) it is windy at Hickenbothom Oval
5) Hawks don't give a fat rats about pre season games
6) it is a 3 stubbie trip form that oval to Victor Harbor
7) around 90% of game day Port supporters are feral
8) I am glad that the tickets in only cost $5
9) no one gives a toss about the Adelaide Cup
Sounds about right to me.

I wonder what would happen if we actually played through Schoey as an attacking player?

He's a decoy forward or a last resort defender.

Imagine he was an actual forward target or a rebound defender? We might actually have a player.

I'd be happy with that. He has a very good left foot.

Probably just indicating he has not really made a decent fist of any opportunities, which he has not. Yes position and injury have played a part. I have backed him from the beginning hoping he can deliver on the glimpses of talent he has shown, but he is wearing thin.

It's really upsetting as Schoe has the prototype key position body

It's really upsetting as Schoe has the prototype key position body

Yeah it is. He has some great weapons but does not bring them out enough. I agree with Leather Poisoning in that he could be used differently. I am just a fan though. Surely the coaches have chewed this over a fair bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day JLT Series Round 3: Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back