News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

The "no suggestion of addiction" bit seems hard to swallow.

Other scenarios include that as his return date got nearer, his anxiety increased, causing him to start smoking again, or that he has a family member on Tiwi who relies on cannabis, let's say ill/terminal for the sake of theorising.

Willie is goaded into bringing some weed back home to help out his family member (he seems a real family man) and is assured in the process that he'll never be checked, he's a footy star after all so they get luxuries the rest of us don't.

His actions are inexcusable but I suspect that comment from him and the punishment has taken into consideration what his intent may have been, and much like the urine sample fiasco, we don't have all the facts.

That post was meant to be facetious .
My point is the sniffer dogs should just be trained for hard drugs.
This a libertarian issue really. To me it's simular to arresting a guy because he has a bottle of vodka in his bag.
The marijuana laws are out of date in modern society imo.
Willie has never taken performance enhancing drugs.
The amount of marijuana he had on him is worth about $250 .
If it was legal he would have never stopped playing.
He still was going to get suspended. He got 2 years for tampering with the sample, not the dope in his system

I think given the result in court it's probably better for the club to keep him in the fold at this stage.

There isn't much to lose by trying to get him on the right track before it is all too late. But as we have seen from plenty of past players, if they cut him loose and he spirals in any way it still hurts the club every time his name comes up regardless of what the club does right now.

Question is really whether he's willing to commit to that effort and to do the work to rebuild the trust with the club and the other players - but I think it makes sense to give him a final chance.

I think Stengle and Crouch can be distinguished on the basis that notwithstanding Rioli remains contracted to the club, the nature of his suspension means he was "away from the club". He has also been the victim of an overly-drawn out investigation leading into his 2 year ban. The AFL has a discretion here not to take any action additional to that imposed today by the NT Local Court, and my gut feeling is, they won't. Notwithstanding Willie's (as the thread title says) moronic decision, any additional sanction on top of the existing ASADA sanction and the good behaviour bond could well be seen as "crushing". And the player's own mental health needs always to be borne in mind.

Thought you were dead.

Why? I dont see it at all.
He is not in competition, hasnt tested positive for anything, and not playing for an AFL team.
Unless they want to go down the bringing the game into disrepute path, which I imagine would be hard to stick given the above, I dont think they AFL will do anything but let WCE deal with it as they see fit.
The sooner this all goes away the better as far as the AFL are concerned.

He has to be given at least four weeks suspension from the afl under the three strikes rule. Pasted Below for reference. It will be whether they deem this his third strike as he was currently suspended. There might even be a 4th strike that didn't make it out as it doesn't have to be public.

Strike 1. Failing to submit sample to drug testers
Strike 2. Testing positive on another test.
Strike 3. The Airport possession.

A strike is issued to any player who possesses, uses or deals an illicit drug, returns a positive sample or refuses to submit a sample to AFL drug testers.

Under the new policy, a player will receive a $5000 fine for a first strike while also undergoing counselling and target testing.

On the second strike a player's name is made public and he serves a four-match suspension. A third strike incurs a 12-match suspension."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy has played 38 games for the club. He’s great to watch but ultimately has been a complimentary player in a very good team when available. His stature has risen in his absence to a point where you’d think he was a Top 5 player in the team - something he has never been close to.
If the ball is a 50:50 Willy would generally win it, if his opponent was favoured by the kick Willy would halve it. I rated him as a gun and one of the most important on the list. Getting Kelly to west coast didn’t fill the hole that Willy left. I rate him above Kelly and we need the pair of them on the park to contend.

If the ball is a 50:50 Willy would generally win it, if his opponent was favoured by the kick Willy would halve it. I rated him as a gun and one of the most important on the list. Getting Kelly to west coast didn’t fill the hole that Willy left. I rate him above Kelly and we need the pair of them on the park to contend.
tee hee hee

Willie would have gotten a few years in prison if this happened in the US.
They gotta pump their incarceration numbers up to appease the private prisons after all.

Or if he was in California he could simply get a medicinal licence.

They gotta pump their incarceration numbers up to appease the private prisons after all.

Or if he was in California he could simply get a medicinal licence.

Judges also have to be seen as tough on crime black dudes for their re-election campaigns.

It's such a messed up system. As with most things over there.

"Shame, loss, humiliation, grief. That's how Mr Rioli feels," lawyer Mark Thomas said during sentencing submissions.
"He is truly ashamed and regretful for what has occurred".

Clearly didnt feel enough shame and humiliation over his AFL ban to stop him from taping weed to his thigh and attempting to go through an airport.

Angry and disappointed. Imagine if this was how you p*ssed your life away - paid hundreds of thousands of bucks a year to kick a ball around, family can lean on one of the richest organisations in the country for support at any time, the opportunity to set your kids up for life is laid at your feet, but nah hey its more important that I can toke up whenever I want to. On something thats not even that hard to get FFS!

Stupid. Didnt understand it when Ben did it, dont understand it when Willie does it.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back