Jobs afl players do after footy ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Peter Street in Footscray now? I saw an article on the news yesterday and there was an officer named Street being interviewed and it crossed my mind that he might have been ax ex-Footballer that I recognised.

Edit: yes, it's him.

He did a brief stint as an actor in the US. Played 'Haywire' in Prison Break in seasons 1 & 2.

A lot of them become brokers and real estate agents because of the weight their name carries. Especially in Perth. Mitchell White and Stephen O'Reilly are both high end estate agents. Ditto Peter Menaglio (West Perth legend). Darren Glass is a broker I'm sure. Many head back bush and play for money around the bush leagues.

He most certainly is, saw him with the stop/go sign in South Melbourne a few months ago...

A few others I know of:

Wayne Johnston owns and runs a road and rail traffic management company with his sons
John Kennedy Jnr. owns a plumbing business
Fraser Brown is an extremely wealthy property developer

Fraser was in tips, sorry landfill, last time I came across him, the family business. Very straight forward operator Mr Brown.

I know a few Swans move into finance as Leo Barry, Ted Richards and Mike Pyke all got internships at CityBank during their careers and after their careers moved into the industry.

Current AFL Commissioner Jason Ball has been in the world of money since his Eagles days, Macquarie these days - would not be too many ex players earning his weekly wage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Spangher (ex Hawthorn, Sydney and West Coast) has a job working with Netball Australia and plays footy in the GVFL for Shepp United, along side Luke Lowden (ex Hawthorn and Crows) who is also an assistant coach at Shepp.

Simon Taylor (ex Hawthorn ruckman) worked for five years at PWC but joined Crownbet last year. Still plays footy for Balwyn I think.

Xavier Ellis (ex Hawthorn and Eagles) became a player-coach at Swan Districts this season.

Brent Renouf (ex Hawthorn and Port Adelaide) moved to the Northern Territory after he left Port Adelaide and married Michael Long's niece. He won a prize in the Northern Territory's Million Dollar Fish when he caught a barra with a prize tag back in early 2016.

Fairly sure ex Hawthorn and North Melbourne defender Jonny "Stacks" Hay set up a personal training business after he finished with the Kangaroos. Was playing with St Kilda City back in 2016.

When Angelo Lekkas finished his career with the Hawks, he moved into a career with the ANZ Bank and I recall that his name was prominently used by the ANZ at Box Hill Hawks home games a few years back. He's since left the ANZ Bank but I believe he's still in the finance industry.

Not all would jump into coaching or media, that is for a minority of players who do that when they retire.

The majority would just work at ordinary everyday jobs like the rest of us, I know there's quite a few who do apprenticeships for a trade while playing footy so when they retire they go straight into it and are qualified

Quit mid season because the opportunity to join the mfs is so rare. Then quit the firies a few months later to join the media.

Didn't exactly cover himself in glory there

The way his mid-season exit for this urgent "once in a lifetime" opportunity in the fire department was endlessly justified and rationalised at the time, makes his move into the media seem even more odd.

Tom Swift, former West Coast player, was an investment banker at Citi for a while. Hated talking footy by all reports.

Darren Glass is a management consultant at BCG.

A lot of the 2006 WCE premiership side went into real estate, funnily enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jobs afl players do after footy ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back