Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

He gets on the park and plays some good footy for Essendon next year he might end up staying. Its not like he's heading home to Sydney.
Depends how bad the Melbourne bubble is weighing him down. Maybe he decides it's not worth it if a trade can't be done and he retires or takes a break.

Pick 5 (and potentially 25) >>>> pick ~13

Not to mention keeping a bloke who doesn't want to be there on $800k for inferior compensation next year doesn't exactly sound like wise list management.
Or we match your offer, force a trade and do this all over again.

Two top 10 picks may be overs, but that's what Essendon are going to ask for as a starting point. Most clubs in this position would do the same thing when losing their most important player. Once other trades have been worked out we'll have a better picture of what can be offered.

Two top 10 picks may be overs, but that's what Essendon are going to ask for as a starting point. Most clubs in this position would do the same thing when losing their most important player. Once other trades have been worked out we'll have a better picture of what can be offered.
Essendon can ask for what they want, but we would have to be incredibly stupid to pay much more than Freo did for Hogan.

I doubt we'd give up much next year. We'd try to get a trade done but Essendon are the ones that would lose out if he went into to the draft, not us.

So, when and where does Tom Harley cop it for being a total lying campaigner-head? :D
Hey, we don't know that they weren't just meeting to catch-up when they were caught. Maybe they'd already spoken about Daniher joining the Swans and that wasn't actually part of their agenda that day. ;)

I can't think of many Sydney supporters who would be willing to give two first rounders for Daniher let alone 2 top 10s. It is way overs
Pick 5 is a good offer. There is a large risk with his injured body and his salary is high

Patton and Hogan are the recent similar benchmarks

I can't think of many Sydney supporters who would be willing to give two first rounders for Daniher let alone 2 top 10s. It is way overs
Pick 5 is a good offer. There is a large risk with his injured body and his salary is high

Patton and Hogan are the recent similar benchmarks
Yeah except neither were particularly wanted by their clubs, Joe is

And the rest
Tippett was on 800k alone only comes off books this year

McVeigh
Jack
Grundy
And Smith
all easily on more than 300k each

Likely 2m+ off the books + Hanners going last year

Obviously some existing pay rises new contracts etc but we are not pushed for cap space
Oops I forgot about Tippett. Yeah I know they were on more than 300K - especially McVeigh but wanted to be conservative. The original comment about us having to back end Daniher's contract was ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, when and where does Tom Harley cop it for being a total lying campaigner-head? :D

Joe's Dad said at a past player function a week or so ago that Joe doesn't want to leave Essendon. What does that make him?

Wrong. It makes him wrong.
Said it at the time and I'll say it now, chances are Anthony knew bugger all. Joe's 25, more than old enough to not be telling his parents everything.

Someone pulled me up on it saying if I believed that was true, I obviously didn't know the Danihers, as if the last name meant you couldn't make the reasonable assumption that Joe simply hadn't told his parents his decision at the time.

Of course it is, but why would we ask for less? We hold the cards. If all Sydney want to cough up is a single 1st rounder then we may as well just keep him, as we'd get similar compensation if he decides once again to leave next year as a Free Agent.

You guys made finals this year without him, to get similar compo pick to pick 5 you’d need to finish around 7 spots (5 less wins) lower on the ladder next year.

Pick 5 and 25 or 31 is a much better offer than what you will get next year if he leaves as free agent.

Plus his 1mil salary will be gone so you could bring forward some contract payments to have spare money in later years to recruit.

Part of the reason you have contracts... players can’t just walk out without you getting overs back
There’s overs then there’s outlandish overs. Given the state of his body two top 10 picks falls into the latter. If there were no injury concerns it would be the former and Essendon would probably get it.

You guys made finals this year without him, to get similar compo pick to pick 5 you’d need to finish around 7 spots (5 less wins) lower on the ladder next year.
That isn't out of the realms of possibility.

I don't know. I think we'd risk a downgraded draft pick for another year of convincing Joe to stay. New fitness boss and new coaches incoming in 2020... developing relationships with them may be enough to convince Joe to extend his time at Essendon. I'm not sure of the strengths of the upcoming drafts, but a pick 10-13 next year might be as good as pick 5 this year depending on what type of players are available at the high end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back