AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
the greatest team of all
Well Done Joel Corey

:thumbsu:

GUN!!!

Worthy Winner

Funnily enough despite all his success he still seems to fly under the radar of other teams

BTW
Gaz and Jimmeh are fantastic too!

MIDFIELDER Joel Corey has claimed his second 'Carji' Greeves Medal as Geelong’s best and fairest.

Corey polled 591 votes to win from 2007 medallist Gary Ablett (538) and Jimmy Bartel (522).

Corey also claimed the 'Carji' in 2005 and he is just the second player to win two best and fairests in the past 12 years.

Corey led the AFL with 730 disposals, was third in handballs and fifth in tackles.

He led Geelong in possessions, contested possessions, centre clearances, handballs and tackles and was second in kicks and frees for.

Corey polled votes in 22 of the 25 games he played.

Ablett has now claimed four consecutive top three finishes (2005 and 2006 – third; 2007 – first) while Bartel has finished in the top three for three consecutive seasons (2007 and 2008 – second).

In fourth place was Cameron Ling with 443 votes. Ling has now finished in the top four of voting in seven straight campaigns (2002 and 2003 – second; 2004 – first; 2005 and 2006 – fourth; 2007 – third).

Following Ling were Joel Selwood (439), Cameron Mooney (423), Corey Enright (417), Andrew Mackie (386), Steve Johnson (384) and Tom Harley (334).

Twenty-eight of the 31 players that represented the Cats in 2008 received votes in the count.

Other awards announced were:

Best first year player: Harry Taylor

Leading goal kicker: Steve Johnson

Best clubman: Tom Harley

Coach’s award: Cameron Ling

VFL best & fairest: Jason Davenport

Community champions: Tom Harley, David Wojcinski and James Kelly

Re: Well Done Joel Corey

well done smithy, great reward for a tireless worker who gets everything out of himself! well done to gaz,selwood,lingy,scarlett,jimehh,harley and all the boys on a great year, we just didnt bring our A game that big day in september.. and to all the james kelly knockers out there have a look at the first half of the b+f count voting and see what an important cog in our team he was until he got injured! No need for any drastic changes, we will be back bigger and better in '09 e.g Tomahawk,vegas,wojo and egan! Go catters

Astounded Cameron Mooney finished so high in 6th spot. Thought he had a very good year, but not that good. Scarlett not even Top 10... WTF :eek: Behind Harley and Mackie :confused: Surprised Ling finished ahead of Selwood, I'd have had Selwood top 4 along with Corey, Gaz and Jimmy. Then a lottery between Ling, Johnno, Scarlett, Harley, Enright for Top 10. Interesting results to say the least.

Maybe if he sucked off the umpires as much as Goodes does, then he would have got two votes in the game against Fremantle in Round 6, and ended up winning. After all, Ablett was as good in that game as Goodes was in the game against us, and he somehow managed to pick up votes in that.

I think Gary will be happy with his back-to-back AFLPA MVP and Coaches awards, which are voted for by his peers and those in the know. Something no flog from Sydney can claim.

I think you'll find Jnr would be extremely disappointed to miss out on a flag, and the MVP award and Coaches award aren't going to make up for that.

Likewise Geelong B&F would have been nice, but when he should have a premiership medal, I don't think he's going to be thinking, oh well, I'm happy with my coaches award. :confused:

Astounded Cameron Mooney finished so high in 6th spot. Thought he had a very good year, but not that good. Scarlett not even Top 10... WTF :eek: Behind Harley and Mackie :confused: Surprised Ling finished ahead of Selwood, I'd have had Selwood top 4 along with Corey, Gaz and Jimmy. Then a lottery between Ling, Johnno, Scarlett, Harley, Enright for Top 10. Interesting results to say the least.
I agree with you there LLH. Scarlett was stiff not to get a top 5 finish, let alone not being in the top 10.
How on earth does Cameron Mooney finish so high when he has had a very ordinary year. :cool:

Congratulations Joel, you are a very worthy winner and have been Mr.Relliable all season.

Good to see him get some internal recognition. Like Lappin of the Lions "Fab Four" - he seems to be overlooked by the media compared to his team-mates Ablett, Bartel, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welldone Corey had a great season, should of polled alot better in the brownlow considering how good he was.

Re: Joel Corey wins Geelongs Best And Fairest while ablett is once again second best

What do you mean ' Ablett is once again second best' ?

He won it last year!

I agree with you there LLH. Scarlett was stiff not to get a top 5 finish, let alone not being in the top 10.
How on earth does Cameron Mooney finish so high when he has had a very ordinary year. :cool:

Congratulations Joel, you are a very worthy winner and have been Mr.Relliable all season.

Moons kicked 52 goals and averaged more than 8 marks a game.

Seems like a reasonable season to me.

Well done Joel,
I know he had agood season but i didnt expect anyone to beat Gary Ablett.

Fantastic reward for the guy, no complaints from me :)

Agreed.

Great to see him win the B+F, had a great year as suggested by his AA selection in the middle and, dare I say it, his win here on BF. Should have polled better on Brownlow night but us Cats supporters know his worth.

A super, super player who had a great year in 2008.

Well done Joel Corey. :thumbsu:

Re: Joel Corey wins Geelongs Best And Fairest while ablett is once again second best

Think he meant second best, as in this year. Feel sorry for the lad, had a bad week.

BTW geelongalldaway I suggest changing your sig.

The max score is 40 votes -- ie 10 from each of the 4 coaches.

Until last night the highest ever polled was 39 by GA snr.

Although I forget which rounds they were , young Gary equlled his dads record and then went one better a few games later.

Amazing really

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Corey wins Geelongs Best And Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back