Strategy Geelong 2024 best 22/23

Remove this Banner Ad

They love picking Bowes as sub. That would be my guess.

Hmm he is versatile but we look a lot better structurally when his bigger body is in the MF for the full game. Id prefer someone like tuohy as sub.

First final

In - Rohan
Out - Humphries (omit)

😉🤪

Shall I see myself out now 🤣

Nah mannagh snd humphries are lock ins.

After henry today i think rohan is sub at best.

Nah mannagh snd humphries are lock ins.

After henry today i think rohan is sub at best.

I'm a fan of Rohan, but we can't play both Henry & Rohan in the same 22

Both struggle with the other in the side, and play at their best when they're the lone 3rd tall option

Only way i see both playing in the same team from here is if one of our two KPFs go down - I'd opt for Rohan ahead of Hawkins in that situation, unless Tom is definitely right to go (which I doubt)

I'm a fan of Rohan, but we can't play both Henry & Rohan in the same 22

Both struggle with the other in the side, and play at their best when they're the lone 3rd tall option

Only way i see both playing in the same team from here is if one of our two KPFs go down - I'd opt for Rohan ahead of Hawkins in that situation, unless Tom is definitely right to go (which I doubt)

I agree. I dont think you can have OH rohan snd neale in the 22 but you could have rohan as sub though.

But i prefer a more flexible player as sub.

Today the team is settled.

Neale is in.
If lawson and stewart are fit its just sdk for bews and otherwise unchanged.

From today Bews out for Rohan as sub makes sense. Neither are that versatile but Rohan is playing much better and I'd back him over Mullin or Clark. If MOC or Guthrie can get back and play a VFL game maybe them as sub after the first week of finals is possible.

With Blicavs playing down back it's a big question who SDK comes in for. SDK for a small makes us look too tall and lumbering. There's no way they drop Blicavs so I think SDK for Stanley is most likely. Which I hope is what happens but SDK has to be 100% to come in as number 1 ruck.

From today Bews out for Rohan as sub makes sense. Neither are that versatile but Rohan is playing much better and I'd back him over Mullin or Clark. If MOC or Guthrie can get back and play a VFL game maybe them as sub after the first week of finals is possible.

With Blicavs playing down back it's a big question who SDK comes in for. SDK for a small makes us look too tall and lumbering. There's no way they drop Blicavs so I think SDK for Stanley is most likely. Which I hope is what happens but SDK has to be 100% to come in as number 1 ruck.
Do we need rohan as sub though?
If he comes on at 3/4 it will only be for oh or mannagh and both are playing well.
Id prefer a more versatile sub eg tuohy or knevitt.

I think stanley depends on opponent against either of the syd teams with physical rucks and mids no way can you risk sdk in there. Against blitz or sweet maybe you can. But i also think blitz isnt playing well enough for us to risk dropping stanley. You would be banking on neale being really useful as a 2nd ruck. For that reason i think stanley stays.

15 games played in 2024, twice injured early so in reality 13 full games played.

So, statistical averages of Bruhn's completed games in 2024:

19.7 disposals
9.0 contested possessions
5.7 clearances
4.7 tackles

Median time on ground: 63%

I think this is quite promising for a 22 year old who has had an interrupted season. If his body holds up he should take another step forward in 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get him to the kick outs
Yeah I realise it's a silly finding. But find the quiet Bowes games and you generally find the ones we have struggled in.

The point is, if they're all getting heavily involved: Dangerfield, Stewart, Bowes, Bruhn and Atkins (with a splash of Holmes) isn't actually a terrible midfield unit. When 2 or 3 of them are stuck in those 12-15 disposal areas, that's when the opposition mids are walking all over us.

Lana Would you select all three of Stanley, SDK and Blicavs for our Qualifying Final? I know you've often argued in favour of going smaller in defence to give us more rebounding ability. Not saying that I endorse dropping SDK or Blicavs but just curious to know your thoughts on our best structure.

Lana Would you select all three of Stanley, SDK and Blicavs for our Qualifying Final? I know you've often argued in favour of going smaller in defence to give us more rebounding ability. Not saying that I endorse dropping SDK or Blicavs but just curious to know your thoughts on our best structure.

A lot of bloody hard calls to make. There isn't a just a single right answer, as long as the plan is coherent and we aren't taking injured players into a match I'm pretty satisfied. ( my personal red lines are no Mullin, No Hawkins, only one of Rohan and O.Henry in the 23, no Knevitt) I'd be perfectly fine going into a final with Henry and Kolodjashnij as our only two KPD as long as we have enough quality ball movers to fit the other 5-6 places, if one of them is Bews or Mullin then I'd prefer to bring in the extra tall.

Question mark of Stanley is how many good quarters does he have in him. This weekend was a bit of a stress test for him. He didn't get much help. Was really good for most of the game,

Moving Blicavs out of the midfield has its merits, it is clear he doesn't have the movement he had two years ago. Lets our secondary ball winners getting more time in there then they usually do, I don't think that it is a lack of fitness that Bruhn plays 60ish% game time, we're trying to fit in 7 guys in a car with 5 seats. Blicavs has fit in down back much more naturally than I had thought he would. With more height down back we have less pressure for Stewart to drift back. We had Tuohy in defence for a bit over a month, to initially cover that Stewart role. With Blicavs down back, Tuohy was back to the skinny side wing.

Is SDK doing good enough as a KPD this year to warrant being selected into a final when he hasn't played for 5/6 weeks. With Blicavs back and more importantly in good form, I don't see a need for it.

It'd be a bit of a gamble but if Stanley has a stinker in week one of finals then SDK as a ruckmen for week 2, would be my call. I have a feeling that for us to win it this year we'll have to pull out some bullshit trick to get an advantage.

I think it is likely that Bews out SDK in, with Tuohy to the sub as the likely change. Blicavs to the wing

I'd leave SDK out, take Bews out as the sub, don't see an obvious in, I want something offensive but with possession chain potential (No Rohan/O.Henry)

I wish Guthrie was fit enough to gamble him as the sub. Might be Clark as the last man standing, doesn't really fit the bill I want, best of the remaining options.

A lot of bloody hard calls to make. There isn't a just a single right answer, as long as the plan is coherent and we aren't taking injured players into a match I'm pretty satisfied. ( my personal red lines are no Mullin, No Hawkins, only one of Rohan and O.Henry in the 23, no Knevitt) I'd be perfectly fine going into a final with Henry and Kolodjashnij as our only two KPD as long as we have enough quality ball movers to fit the other 5-6 places, if one of them is Bews or Mullin then I'd prefer to bring in the extra tall.

Question mark of Stanley is how many good quarters does he have in him. This weekend was a bit of a stress test for him. He didn't get much help. Was really good for most of the game,

Moving Blicavs out of the midfield has its merits, it is clear he doesn't have the movement he had two years ago. Lets our secondary ball winners getting more time in there then they usually do, I don't think that it is a lack of fitness that Bruhn plays 60ish% game time, we're trying to fit in 7 guys in a car with 5 seats. Blicavs has fit in down back much more naturally than I had thought he would. With more height down back we have less pressure for Stewart to drift back. We had Tuohy in defence for a bit over a month, to initially cover that Stewart role. With Blicavs down back, Tuohy was back to the skinny side wing.

Is SDK doing good enough as a KPD this year to warrant being selected into a final when he hasn't played for 5/6 weeks. With Blicavs back and more importantly in good form, I don't see a need for it.

It'd be a bit of a gamble but if Stanley has a stinker in week one of finals then SDK as a ruckmen for week 2, would be my call. I have a feeling that for us to win it this year we'll have to pull out some bullshit trick to get an advantage.

I think it is likely that Bews out SDK in, with Tuohy to the sub as the likely change. Blicavs to the wing

I'd leave SDK out, take Bews out as the sub, don't see an obvious in, I want something offensive but with possession chain potential (No Rohan/O.Henry)

I wish Guthrie was fit enough to gamble him as the sub. Might be Clark as the last man standing, doesn't really fit the bill I want, best of the remaining options.

Its a hard one bc good stanley is great and bad one is very bad. I agree the issue is what his body has left the knee is banged up. I am reluctant to go in with no ruck unless we are forced to-ie its a pat rafter davis cup thing and his body cant go.
It might depend on matchups-against either sydney team i think you have to have him, against a weak ruck team like port or hawks you might consider the sdk option.

I have no doubt blitz is carrying a groin injury which is affecting his kicking.

I think sub is probably tuohy (which protects legspeed with him and duncan). I dont want clark as sub as i want someone versatile. Despite that i reckon they will look at rohan as sub.
Id consider oconnor as sub because hes really versatile but its probably too late with his injury now.
Guthrie wont get back this year.

Truthfully, I’m not sure. First final guess

B: Z. Guthrie - J. Henry - Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart - SDK - Humphries
C: Dempsey - Bowes - Holmes
HF: Miers - Neale - Close
F: Stengle - Cameron - O. Henry
R: Stanley - Dangerfield - Bruhn
I: Blicavs - Duncan - Atkins - Mannagh
Sub: Rohan

Reckon the Hawk comes in when fit.

Truthfully, I’m not sure. First final guess

B: Z. Guthrie - J. Henry - Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart - SDK - Humphries
C: Dempsey - Bowes - Holmes
HF: Miers - Neale - Close
F: Stengle - Cameron - O. Henry
R: Stanley - Dangerfield - Bruhn
I: Blicavs - Duncan - Atkins - Mannagh
Sub: Rohan

Reckon the Hawk comes in when fit.

For me the 22 is set (except maybe duncan but i doubt CS drops him).
But id like tuohy as sub.

Bews SDK Kolo
Z Guthrie J Henry Humphries
Dempsey Stewart Holmes
Miers Cameron Close
Stengle Neale Rohan
Stanley Dangerfield Bruhn
Blicavs Bowes Mannagh Clark
Sub : O Henry

Touhy and Duncan to be the Mooney and Milburn of 2011

Assuming no CGuth or Hawk it is:

B: ZGuthrie JHenry Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart SDK Humphries
C: Holmes Bruhn Miers
HF: Close Cameron Dempsey
F: Stengle Neale OHenry
R: Stanley Dangerfield Atkins
Int: Blicavs Mannagh Bowes Tuohy
Sub: Duncan
Em: Rohan Bews Parfitt

Bews SDK Kolo
Z Guthrie J Henry Humphries
Dempsey Stewart Holmes
Miers Cameron Close
Stengle Neale Rohan
Stanley Dangerfield Bruhn
Blicavs Bowes Mannagh Clark
Sub : O Henry

Touhy and Duncan to be the Mooney and Milburn of 2011

Why clark?

With bruhn and danger back i dont see that.

Also no way is rohan getting picked over henry (rohan only gets picked if they drop stanley and put neale in the ruck but i doubt it).
Also bews isnt playing unless someone is injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Geelong 2024 best 22/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back