Strategy Geelong 2024 best 22/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Using last nights 23 as the base.

I think the only ins are going to be Rohan and SDK

Mullin will be out and I would hope the other out is 2E. Otherwise I don’t know who else comes out.

I know there is an argument that Henry and Rohan can’t play in same team but for me both a good sub options so reckon they stay in the 23

The only other possible out could be Stanley if we were happy with SDK and blitz in ruck? That might depend on opposition.

I don’t see Hawkins getting back in (not sure he will be ready anyway). Just can’t drop neale imo
Neale is so close to that game where it all clicks and he kicks 4 or 5.

He might just have that coming of age game at the right time like his predecessor did before him.

Can't drop him, just have to roll the dice. Worst thing that happens is he gets some valuable experience to attack next year.

Last edited:
I think Neales is becoming important with his crashing of contests.

But if Hawkins is fit and has got over some early season niggles (and this is a big if) then I would play him ahead of o.henry and play both Hawkins and neale and Cameron and rohan.

Too tall. Unless neale plays ruck instead of stanley.

That is a pretty impressive looking team. In my mind probably on Rachele is the one I would change out.

Was having a discussion with friends…how many AFL teams would this team beat (with the afl team losing the under 22 player picked)

North melbourne. Yes
West coast yes

(both those teams have their best player in under 22!)

Essendon. Yes?
Adelaide. I think this teams runs them off their feet?

Most other teams might just be too physical?

Would love to see this team play!

That is a pretty impressive looking team. In my mind probably on Rachele is the one I would change out.

Was having a discussion with friends…how many AFL teams would this team beat (with the afl team losing the under 22 player picked)

North melbourne. Yes
West coast yes

(both those teams have their best player in under 22!)

Essendon. Yes?
Adelaide. I think this teams runs them off their feet?

Most other teams might just be too physical?

Would love to see this team play!

Thinking we'd seriously miss both Holmes & Dempsey - trying to work out who takes their spots if we were to face this team

Thinking we'd seriously miss both Holmes & Dempsey - trying to work out who takes their spots if we were to face this team
I hadn’t thought of what if the 22 and under team played Cats…

FB: Wanganeen-Miller. Mac Andrew. Wilmont
F: Close. Cameron. O Henry

HB: Holmes. Waddle. McKercher
HF: Stengle. Neale. Mannagh

C: Gulden. Reid. Horne-Francis
C: Duncan. Atkins. 2e (replace Dempsey)

HF: Ginnivan. Darcy. Dempsey
HB. Guthrie. Blitz. Bowes (replacing Holmes)

F: Treacy. Ugle-Hagen. Amiss
FB: Humphries. J Henry. Kolo

Foll: Jackson. Sheezel. Daicos
Foll: Stanly. Dangerfield. Stewart

Inter: D’Ambrosio. Wardlaw. Rachele. Draper
Inter: Miers. Bews. Rohan. Mullin (last two filling in from emergency for Dempsey/Holmes)

So who wins…noting that against the Cats I would say Gulden, Horne-Francis, Sheezel and Daicos have played very well - so we know we might struggle around the ball despite Danger and Stewart?

I think our forward line is better than the under 22 backline? Although we might struggle stopping their run if they turn the ball over? The centre line I think they win and maybe break even in the Followers? We might be too strong/big in our backline for them although if they play hawthorn style and run it into the forward line with speed…

I would think the Cats should beat them? But I can see argument mounted against that if it was played at speed?

Interesting hypothetical

I think I can tell you how that movie ends

Don’t care

It would be fun to watch

Plus, I want to see which team a player like Daicos decides to play for - does he want to captain his U22 team or just be another player with the old guys

:cool:

Right now:

B: Z.Guthrie De Koning Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart J.Henry Holmes
C: Duncan C.Guthrie Blicavs
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Hawkins O.Henry
R: Stanley Dangerfield Bowes
Int: Bruhn O’Connor Parfitt Dempsey
Sub: Atkins

Which, from last night’s side, is C.Guthrie for Clark and Stanley for Conway.

Still think Rohan will make a run for it and Tuohy will get chances to stake a claim.
Since April:

In: Humphries, Mannagh
Out: O’Connor, Parfitt

C.Guthrie and Hawkins the weird ones when looking at this thought experiment. Neale has just about passed Hawkins objectively on 2024 output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was nitpicking I'd say "likely" means the same as "probable" and there can't be 26 probable players in the best 23.

I'd probably just lock in the 19 or 20 certainties/probables and then have the last few spots split into a "scrapping for spots".

Here's my attempt, based on form or expectation of form as the season progresses (MCs perspective more than mine, perhaps just a sprinkle of how I see it added). I've tried to do a pecking order within categories too:

Certain/almost certain

Dangerfield
Cameron
Stewart
Miers
Holmes
Stengle
Zuthrie
Kolo
O Henry
Duncan
J Henry
Close
Bruhn
Dempsey
Blicavs
SDK

A decent chance

Hawkins
Bowes
Cam Guthrie

50/50 (rucks)

Conway
Stanley

Scrapping for last 3 spots

O'Connor
Parfitt
Atkins
Clark
Mullin
Rohan
Tuohy

Smokies

Neale
Mannagh
Hardie
Humphries
Knevitt
O'Sullivan

Of course if they pull the trigger on dropping/managing a few out of form players, then smokies playing well can shift things.

The "decent chance"ers need to find form to stay in. I think Atkins and Parfitt are somewhat back with the pack now. O'Connor is valued but I don't think he in undroppable.

Hawkins is only in "decent chance" in case things don't improve or get worse, in which case Neale still is a shot at displacing him. But I still see that as unlikely this year.
These were my thoughts in May. Not too far off the mark.

I thought Hawkins may hold on but his body got the best of him even before injury. Jury was out on Cam Guthrie at that stage, before his body was found guilty of frailty.

I think it's a good sign that 3 from the smokies list have worked their way into the team.

These were my thoughts in May. Not too far off the mark.

I thought Hawkins may hold on but his body got the best of him even before injury. Jury was out on Cam Guthrie at that stage, before his body was found guilty of frailty.

I think it's a good sign that 3 from the smokies list have worked their way into the team.
Pretty accurate view.

Hoping you predicted a good finals series

Since April:

In: Humphries, Mannagh
Out: O’Connor, Parfitt

C.Guthrie and Hawkins the weird ones when looking at this thought experiment. Neale has just about passed Hawkins objectively on 2024 output.

Stanley has made a late in mainly due to injuries.

We can write off guthrie for 2024.
Mannagh and humphries locks.
Hawk wont be back without something unlikely.

The intrresting call is the sub.
Sdk will play the first final in place of bews.
Atkins wont be the sub and bowes shouldnt be.

Would you go with rohan as sub or tuohy (they are the obvious 2) or someone like knevitt?

Would you go with rohan as sub or tuohy (they are the obvious 2) or someone like knevitt?
I don’t have room for Rohan. He’s cooked.

Why do you say that? He still has all his usual athletic traits so I don't see evidence of permanent decline there, and he's always been a low possession getter so I wouldn't read too much into his disposal count. I think he's just been down on form over his last 3 games. Older guys can have form slumps too without it necessarily being indicative of them being cooked.

What's going to happen when leading up to our first final they announced he's re-signed for 12 months before naming him in the forward pocket 😎

I would do Mitch but that is my bias. They won’t.

I reckon it will be touhy when we come down to it. He is the most versatile. Unless they go with Rohan

I would do Mitch but that is my bias. They won’t.

I reckon it will be touhy when we come down to it. He is the most versatile. Unless they go with Rohan

The interesting thing will be if the FS comes into it (depends if rohan is playing on next year or not). Do they make rohan sub for the first 2 finals to get him to 100?

I would go knevitt too. I can see the appeal of rohan for 1/4 vs tired legs but i feel like knevitt covers all 3 lines if we get an injury.

But you are probably right and they will go 2e.

Why do you say that? He still has all his usual athletic traits so I don't see evidence of permanent decline there, and he's always been a low possession getter so I wouldn't read too much into his disposal count. I think he's just been down on form over his last 3 games. Older guys can have form slumps too without it necessarily being indicative of them being cooked.
Completely disagree. He has been awful this year. The cliff came quickly.

What's going to happen when leading up to our first final they announced he's re-signed for 12 months before naming him in the forward pocket 😎
I’ll be mad and someone will have missed out who didn’t deserve to. Like Mannagh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Geelong 2024 best 22/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back