Joel Selwood Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HoF for sure - potential legend status?

Only Geelong 4 x Premiership player, more finals wins than any other player in history, most wins as captain in VFL/AFL history.
If Joel eventually gets legend status his record sits pretty comfortably with the others.

It's interesting to stack it up like that. Was a bee's d**k away from being a Brownlow Medallist too.

The milestones and accolades keep piling up. As you've mentioned here with the HoF Legend question, he has to be right up there when discussing players of the 21st century, when I reckon most on here would have found a reason to not include him in a best 22 over that period: you can't not have him in your best 22 of the 2000s now, well not if you want to be taken seriously.

It's a similar story with his standing at the club. Farmer, Ablett Senior, Ablett Junior. When you stack up what they did for Geelong against what Selwood's done, it's getting harder and harder to say that he isn't our greatest ever.

Over rated ... hope thats the last we see of him ..
Brad Hill...
Brad Crouch...
Dougal Howard...
Z. Jones...
Dan Hannebery...

All guys you brought in and paid 3 mil between 'em. Might want to look in your own backyard when you call players 'overrated.'

One guy in 16 years has done more than your entire club has in 126 years - you could only dream of having a player of his caliber in this day and age...oh and maybe winning a second flag in your entire history - and one in the AFL era.

Sad.

...not to mention Rampe singling Selwood out and talking at length about how privileged he is to play against someone like him. He absolutely didn't need to do that, he wanted to and it was class all round, just like seeing Selwood going around by himself to the Sydney side as they were lined up at the presentation, while the Geelong players celebrated on the other side.

I'm confident that there will NEVER be another AFL player whose level of respect among AFL people will be so disproportionate to his level of respect on Big Footy.

Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there was a genuine Big Footy thread on any of his recent milestones on the main board, because barely any opposition supporter wants to say something complimentary about him and Geelong supporters have no interest in starting a discussion that becomes a 30 page pile on of one of our champions. It's why someone had to bump this thread from three years ago.

But no one can deny him now and I'm so happy for him.

IMO I think you couldn't ask for a better way to go out and like Ling and Harley, last game lifting the cup.

That finals series from Ling was a masterpiece too, legitimately blanketed three of the best mids in the game, including the Brownlow Medallist on grand final day. Reckon he'd be the Gary Ayres Medallist if they had it back then.

But... apparently he was D-U-N, done. He just read it better than someone like Scarlett and went out at the absolutely perfect time. At the time, Geelong were a strong back-to-back chance (which premiership team isn't, heading into the off-season after they've just won). So it's on Selwood. I'd love to see him win a fifth flag, but there's just no way of knowing how his body's holding up to the battering it's copped for 16 seasons (and 15 September campaigns)

It's interesting to stack it up like that. Was a bee's d**k away from being a Brownlow Medallist too.

The milestones and accolades keep piling up. As you've mentioned here with the HoF Legend question, he has to be right up there when discussing players of the 21st century, when I reckon most on here would have found a reason to not include him in a best 22 over that period: you can't not have him in your best 22 of the 2000s now, well not if you want to be taken seriously.

It's a similar story with his standing at the club. Farmer, Ablett Senior, Ablett Junior. When you stack up what they did for Geelong against what Selwood's done, it's getting harder and harder to say that he isn't our greatest ever.
Players who are perhaps 'less flashy' can be marked a little harder, but in terms of his record and (from the outside looking in) sheer will to impact the contest, he'd stack up well against anyone who has played the game.
Being Captain and a real leader should also count in his favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Selwood Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back