Joel Selwood ducking his head

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 pages the equivalent of watching an atheist argue with a fundamentalist.

each knows their beliefs are actually the right one; each one knows the other person is ignorant; and either way, the world just keeps on turning.

like him or leave him.

are you stupid or is this just selective ignorance.

as described by joel selwood himself:
method 1. dropping at the knees causing his head to duck into an otherwise legal tackle.
method 2. raising his arms to slide an otherwise legal tackle upwards causing contact to his head.

both are techniques he has admitted to using. both are designed to initiate deliberate head high contact from a tackle that was not directed at the head. these tactics are commonly grouped under the general umbrella of "ducking".

stop being so annoyingly obtuse. you're embarrassing yourself...

Yeah nah. He got tackled around upper shoulder, poor tackle and the tackler deserved to be penalised. Chances are Selwood evaded that tackle and the free kick was completely inconsequential.

That was what the move was designed to do.

21 pages the equivalent of watching an atheist argue with a fundamentalist.

each knows their beliefs are actually the right one; each one knows the other person is ignorant; and either way, the world just keeps on turning.

like him or leave him.
Agree now. I used to be the fundamentalist in this discussion, but have learned that the middle ground is the right one.

Fantastic player who maximizes the intent of the rules to his advantage like all players do, however in a way that some supporters feel exploits the rule in a way that can be dangerous because it invites head high tackles. The rule should be changed to eliminate the scenario and protect those who try to emulate him. And Selwood is good enough to be a star of the game when they do.

If this is Selwood, and not Pops you're talking about - you should be able to name ONE single instance of the above occurring.

Cheers

Too many examples of it, in fact I was even able to name one where he head charged three times before he got the free kick. There was no response to it though.

7:31 into the 2nd quarter against Sydney, Round 4 2013.

Too many examples of it, in fact I was even able to name one where he head charged three times before he got the free kick. There was no response to it though.

7:31 into the 2nd quarter against Sydney, Round 4 2013.

that would be 12:29 on the clock?

the only things involving selwood around that time is a tackle by mcglynn 20 seconds before, and an uncontested mark and kick 15-20 seconds after. thats probably why there was no response.

EDIT - figured out you actually meant 7:31 minutes of real time elapsed, not game time. damn, thats convoluted. VLC let me find it though by subtracting 7:31 from the current time elapsed at the bounce.

for those actually interested, its at 14:49 on the clock 2nd quarter.

bit 'meh', really, he does run into a few players in a row in a congested situation. he also won the ball very effectively. whether its a duck or not depends on your allegiance, really. the first 'head charge' was him stripping the ball from mcveigh (i.e. there was no head charge), the second 'head charge' was an unbalanced and unsighted run into jack (perhaps a stretch to call it deliberate, but who can tell for sure), then he bounced off and immediately got tackled by o'keefe. free kick called. remarkable when watching it that he had time to recognise opponents and deliberately charge - but if thats what you see, then thats what you see.

like i said - to those that want it to be a series of ducks, then it is. to those that dont, its selwood extracting a very contested footy.

and either way, somehow, life goes on...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lazy 5 frees for Joel tonight, taking his season tally to 61. A model of consistency.

Did you even watch the match? 2 were won as a lead out FF because the defender on him did not have the capability to defend him 1 on 1. The other frees he essentially had his head ripped off due to poor tackling, a feature of Sydneys game tonight.

Forget the 5 free kciks, possibly another 3 Brownlow votes and another step on the way to premiership No 4!

I'm concerned that the majority of posters in this thread don't seem to know what ducking is. Call Selwood's action whatever you like, but it isn't ducking. It's a failure to apply correct terminology. I am now calling marking 'slorking'. Menzel just took a very solid slork then, perpedinefous play from Menzel.

Exactly, all teams have players who do it......its just that Selwood gets called out because he is routinely picking up 30 possessions, 2-3 goals and 3 Brownlow votes!
Exactly.....and he's routinely in packs trying to win the contested ball. Far more likely to win free kicks in a congested situation than hanging around waiting for an easy kick.

In all seriousness, as a young player he had the potential to be awed at like Jonathan Brown for his hard man image and immediate absolute respect.

Now, there is respect, but he's not universally admired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back