Certified Legendary Thread Joel Selwood - Premiership Captain and 4 time Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine if he was staying at Geelong he would have said something?
Geelong has a soft cap like every other club, so it's quite possible they may not be able to fit him into an off-field role, and they probably may not have talked about it yet. I've read Adam Kingsley (GWS) is looking for assistant coaches (and StevieJ is up there), and so is North Melbourne. Essendon will be in the market too once they appoint a new coach. I think a club will offer him a job. They'd be mad not to.

Hopefully, the Cats will too, but again it all comes down to the soft cap.

Great man.

Last edited:

He defined this era. And it's no surprise the era commenced with his arrival.

His impact on the club, city and AFL is immeasurable really.

There has arguably been no one more important to the club than Joel Selwood.

Legend. Icon. Champion.

Thank you.

This isn't a surprise, I was sure it was coming in fact. But what is a surprise is how devastated I am.
It makes no sense, it's completely illogical, but this is a real gut punch.
I know that the trite response is that the club is bigger than any one player, and I'm sure that the fullness of time this again will prove to be true. But to quote SDK, 'Joel IS Geelong'.
No single player has given so much to a club as Joel has to the GFC.
We are forever in his debt.
Love you Joel. Thanks for literally everything.:'(

Congratulations to Joel Selwood on his retirement from a champion career.

His behaviour on the biggest day of the year a grand final win, will probably be what I remember him for the most.

• Running with Levi Ablett through the banner
  • After the win giving the Auskicker his boots, getting them to wave at the camera
  • Grabbing Sam Moorfoot bringing him onto the ground and making him part of the celebrations
To me it shows me that playing the game was never just about him and that others where always at the front of his mind even after winning the ultimate prize.

That is what makes a true champion in team sports, someone who wants to make everyone around him better.

Well done a champion footballer and great human.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to Joel Selwood on his retirement from a champion career.

His behaviour on the biggest day of the year a grand final win, will probably be what I remember him for the most.

• Running with Levi Ablett through the banner
  • After the win giving the Auskicker his boots, getting them to wave at the camera
  • Grabbing Sam Moorfoot bringing him onto the ground and making him part of the celebrations
To me it shows me that playing the game was never just about him and that others where always at the front of his mind even after winning the ultimate prize.

That is what makes a true champion in team sports, someone who wants to make everyone around him better.

Well done a champion footballer and great human.
That's a beautiful post.

It’s been an absolutely privilege watching Joel put on the blue & white hoops every week and leaving no stone unturned. His legacy at the club will live on for years and years, he’s the greatest Geelong has had, will leave a big hole at the club but these last 16 years has been a bloody joy!!

Saturday was the perfect end to the greatest captain we’ve seen, there is no better ending than that and his goal will be played over and over for years to come.

Well played skipper 💙

"Mitch will still kick it to him (Hawkins)"

Sad Season 4 GIF by The Office
I wanna see that stat! I want to know how many marks Hawk has taken from Selwood kicks. Would be double the next most.

My goodness....what a absolute legend of GFC Joel is. Moves above the Reg Hickeys and Bob Davises i feel, with as others have said, the absolute total package one can bring to a club.

Here's some perspective on Joel's influence at Geelong.

Up to 2006, Geelong had in 110 season played 92 finals, for 37 wins, a draw and 54 losses. Also, had won six VFL/AFL Premierships, the last one in 1963.

Joel retires having added 40 more finals to that list in his 16 seasons, 59 wins, 72 losses and the draw. And we now have 10 VFL/AFL flags.

How's that for his impact in his career. Greatness arrived with Joel as he walked into Kardinia Park, and the legacy he leaves is that of the greatest ever. His finishing touches with the Auskick kids and Sammy just put the absolute cherry on top of a glorious career. We are all privileged to have had him at our club. Enjoy your retirement Joel, you'll leave a huge No 14 sized hole in our hearts!

Selwood - what can you say - in the past i have posted more than once - that ive thought that he is Geelongs greatest ever player - the most important Geelong player in Geelongs entire history

Favourite games of his - in that streak of 11 re Haw - there were a couple of h/a big comeback wins in that sequence - 5 goals adrift at h/t - and Selwood was the one who instigated the big comeback after h/t

I would be very very surprised if one day he doesnt end up an AFL Senior coach - the competitive nature of him - he loves football - he eates and breathes it since a kid - so i think football will be his life long profession

What a player, what a guy.
Goes Out on an absolute high, perfect timing. No way those players on Saturday didn’t know this was his last game.
I remember in 2007,early in season, wondering who was this Selwood guy who’s name featured so often in the radio calls.
Another Wells gem.
Deserves every accolade.
All the best in his next incarnation.

Certainly is the end of an era, for hard work, determination and leadership he is the greatest Cat ever.

So glad he got to tick off premiership captain on Saturday.

The number 14 either needs to be retired, or presented to a player with some meaning going forward.

On and off the field you are a superstar.

Enjoy life after AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Joel Selwood - Premiership Captain and 4 time Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back